IC The Thirteenth Moon: Night of the Blood Moon

airwalkrr

Adventurer
OOC: The gnomes of House Sivis have message stations where documents and messages can be sent via speaking stones. While it would normally cost 5 gp/page to send a document anywhere in Khorvaire, Dorius is authorized to charge the cost to the Korranberg Chronicle. They have an account with the City of Sharn and Dorius' identification papers list him as an independent journalist authorized to use the account.

kinem

Adventurer
Brad tells Dorius "I'll come to check out House Phiarlan with you".

He spends a couple of hours on the dreaded paperwork necessitated by the night's bloody events.

He also does some studying of the orcish language. He doesn't feel comfortable yet divulging his true nature to his new companions, and besides that, it's sure to come in handy some day, especially if he maintains the Bront identity.

When he hits the streets trying to gather more information, though, it's as the "human Brad", not the "half-orc Bront". Even so he's only moderately successful, and judges the tale he hears as likely just a rumor.

Last edited:

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
Berrent, human rogue

"Beige, eh? Well, I expect we'll see you in a day or two. Keep your eyes peeled like grapes on the way home." After Beige leaves Berrent says, "Great work tonight everyone. I was a little nervous going into a fight with people I didn't know very well. It's too late to get to know you much better but I'd be happy to have any of you wit me in another fight. Get some rest. I propose we meet back here tomorrow afternoon to go to talk to Beige again. If you can't make it try to send word."

Berrent's knees are shaking when he heads to the washroom before going to sleep. He closes the door just in time to vomit in the washbasin. Then his legs give out and he collapses in a heap on the floor. When his body is calm again and his hyperventilating has subsided he washes up and heads back to the room for some sleep. "Yeah, we'll do this again tomorrow afternoon. Sure."

After a breakfast late enough to be called lunch Berrent spends some time trying to learn more about what happened last night before returning to the inn to meet the others.

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
OOC: Apologies for the delay in posting. Real life and such.

We will begin with Vigil's short trip to the Cathedral of the Cleansing Flame. He can do this alone or with party members; either way should not make a difference. No combat expected.
Vigil makes his way to Sovereign Towers, the temple district of Upper Central Plateau. This district regales all things holy, or at least their representation in art and architecture. Statues, paintings, and mosaics of deities and saints are everywhere, and great temples stand out among the lesser buildings. The Cathedral of the Cleansing Flame is Sharn’s most important temple to the Silver Flame, named in honor of the church’s role in cleansing Khorvaire of the stain of evil. It is a grand, opulent structure which comprises the entire share of Flame Tower in the middle ward. There are stained glass windows depicting a couatl, a paladin, and several which feature the Silver Flame itself prominently displayed. Inside, Vigil has little difficulty tracking down Brother Wayden, who is in a communal study library within the temple. He is a middle-aged clergyman with a shaved head and a graying brown beard. He is dressed in a simple grey robe.

"Ah, Vigil. It is good to see you. Perhaps you do not remember me, but we met briefly when you underwent the sacraments and ordainment."

"I will cut to the chase. I have heard disturbing rumors coming from the Graywall district. I have reason to believe that there is an underground temple devoted to the Blood of Vol operating there and I would like for you to gather some intelligence for me. I believe the temple might be associated with the dark happenings of last night. I would like you to visit an informant of mine in Graywall and deliver a report to me on his latest findings. He is a Karrn, dark features, blue eyes, and goes by the name Vladar. He has dinner at a place called Slogar's every evening. He will know you are my agent when you ask him how he likes the curds and whey this evening. And you will know it is him when he responds they are surprisingly flavorful this night."

"Why you? Well, it's quite simple. Adherents of the Silver Flame aren't particularly welcome in Graywall, and you are not well-known to them. Of course, warforged are not generally well-received either, but in addition to being a restaurant, Slogar's also sells a variety of scented oils which many warforged use to keep themselves cleaned, lubricated, and smelling fresh. It's an excellent cover. The Graywall district can be found in the middle ward of Tavick's Landing. Report back to me when you have heard what Vladar has to say."
OOC: Just so no one misses it, I am posting the new party plot hook that Berrent has unlocked by virtue of his excellent Gather Information skill. I am, of course, assuming that Berrent will share this information with the party at some point.

This is a quick post and all I have time for at the moment. I will try to post some more about the other hooks later tonight and introduce some mini-hooks for the other characters.

One last thing: everyone please include in your next post what you will be spending your 2 skill points on.
[sblock=Plot Hooks]Unlocked Party Plot Hook: Speak to Denion at The Crystals of Denion about his missing daughter.
Rumor: "I was in Silvergate in Upper Tavick's Landing and heard that the daughter of Denion, the wealthy owner of The Crystals of Denion magic emporium, went missing. Seems she went to a party in Ocean View and never came home. I'm sure the Black Arch Garrison will be busy with this one for a while."

Party: Find and speak with Beige at the House Phiarlan enclave.

Dorius Mini Hook: Speak to Mandyran about the rumor.

Vigil Mini Hook: Find Brother Wayden at the Cathedral of the Cleansing Flame.[/sblock]

airwalkrr

Adventurer
[sblock=Berrent's meeting]As Berrent asks around for information on the latest rumors, he stops by Karr'Aashta's Investigations to see what his mentor knows about the happenings of the previous night.

"I heard all kinds of things,"
the grizzled investigative reports. "Most stories seem to point to some involvement of blood cultists. But there's one thing I am not hearing about, Cults of the Dragon Below. Seems mighty peculiar if you ask me. I can't imagine the Cults not being involved somehow. You said you were interested in working for me, so I have a job for you. There's a dirty little goblin named Skakan who lives down in the Cogs. You can usually find him in the Rat's Market hawking his worthless garbage to the dregs. Press him for information; rough him up a bit if you have to. Hardly a thing goes on down in the Cogs without that little rat hearing about it. Most of the Cults operate down there out of the public eye. See if he knows anything about any of them. And if he tells you anything about a group called the Darkest Depths, he's lying. I cleaned them up last month. They're all shackled up as we speak. Bring me back anything you find out and there'll be something in it for you."[/sblock][sblock=Brad's Visit]Brad fills out the paperwork for the prisoners at Warden Towers, which isn't too difficult. It seems the lieutenant on duty at the gaol is not too particular about details when it comes to locking up yet another bunch of cultists. After that, he goes to Black Arch Garrison to put in paperwork for payment for overtime for himself and his deputies. That turns out to be a little more grueling. The city of Sharn is full of penny-pushers it seems. When all is said and done, he receives 5 sp for himself and 5 sp for each of his "deputies."

While he is working on his payment request form, Commander Iyanna ir'Talan passes by. "Finish that paperwork and come see me in my office when you're done, Guard." It is not a request.

When Brad goes to see the Commander she in the middle of a meeting with a Sergeant, so he has to wait for a few minutes. When they are done, she ushers Brad in. "I heard about the work you did last night for Warden Towers. Good initiative, Guard. I like initiative."

"Since you seem to be interested in righting wrongs, I have a special assignment for you. I heard word on the street that there is a grifter moving around the Foundation district selling bogus "Apocalypse Insurance" policies. I hear its a young dwarf male dressed in a fancy suit and carrying around fake identification papers that associate him with House Kundarak. I'd like you to stop by Foundation and see if you can pick him up. Word is, he's small time. I doubt he's associated with the changelings of the Tyrants but this is their turf, so be careful."

Her words are artfully chosen. Brad realizes she isn't just warning him to beware of the Tyrants. Chances are the Tyrants won't take kindly to someone working "their" part of town without their blessing. So if you aren't quick about it, identity theft and fraud are probably the least of this dwarf's concerns.[/sblock][sblock=Plot Hooks]Party: Speak to Denion at The Crystals of Denion about his missing daughter.

Vigil Mini Hook: Find Brother Wayden at the Cathedral of the Cleansing Flame. (active)

Berrent Mini Hook: Visit the Rat's Market and press the goblin Skaken for information on the Cults of the Dragon Below.

Brad Mini Hook: Find the dwarf grifter in Foundation before the Tyrants do.[/sblock]

airwalkrr

Adventurer
OOC: Just so Alise isn't left out...
[sblock=Alise's telepathic projection]Early the next morning Alise is struck with a strange sensation. It is as though her senses are temporarily suppressed and a single thought forms inside her head. I can sense your anguish and trouble, my child. Seek me at The Gathering Light that I might focus your mind and help you make sense of the world around you.[/sblock][sblock=New Plot Hook]Alise Mini Hook: Seek Hanamelk at The Gathering Light for his counsel and meditation.[/sblock]
OOC: At this point you have many avenues to explore. This campaign is heavy on roleplay so feel free to play out as many or as few of these plot hooks as you wish. The mini hooks are designed for individual players while the Party Hooks advance the main storyline. The mini hooks will generally be resolved within 2-3 posts and grant minor experience and treasure rewards.

Last edited:

kinem

Adventurer
Five silver apiece for risking our lives? It's an insult more than a reward. I'm a trained warrior and guardsman, but the others ... Still, coin is coin.

Brad heads to the Foundation district in the guise of a dwarven man, for which he'll give the name Dunkin if asked. He tries a busy tavern, asking if a dwarf by the grifter's description has been seen. If there's no luck, he'll try a few other places and vary his approach a bit. If asked whether he wants to buy apocalypse insurance, he admit he does; but he won't bring the subject up, as he doesn't wish to draw any unnecessary attention to the dwarf's activities.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
Alise gives her thanks to the others in the group and lets them know where to find her in the future. Giving directions to The Gathering Light rather than her home for privacy.

She heads to the Gathering Light but stops by her apartment on the way to change out of her party dress. After inspecting the dress for any stains, tears or damage she hangs it carefully and brushes it smooth.

She changes into her normal day to day clothes and prepares to leave for the Gathering Light, but then freezes, struck by the mental vision of the man throwing himself on his sword. She looks to the crossbow and spear her father had given her when she moved out, She had laughed at him telling him how where she was moving was so much safer than where she'd been. She'd never needed felt the need for a crossbow in Highwalls, why should she need one in Dragoneyes.

Now she didn't feel safe anywhere in Sharn, and not even a crossbow would help that. She just wanted to be a little girl again playing in her father's shop. She remembered the smells and the warmth of the sun, she thought to her mother's fresh bread, and the handcrafted doll her father had made. The doll with her left eye lower than her right. How she wished she could go back, there, to just feel... Safe.

She snapped back to reality, That shop is not safe, That shop doesn't even exist, and it's in the middle of the Mournlands. "You are a grown woman, not a little girl, start acting like one"

She packed every useful item she could think off into her backpack including the armor and crossbow her father had given her. She picked up the shortspear, but set it back again beside the door realizing how insane she would appear carrying a spear thru city streets. "Lets not make more trouble for the guards today, considering."

With that she headed out the door to the School/Temple of The Gathering Light

[sblock="OOC"]
OOC:
Alise will spend her 2 skill points on 1 point each of Knowledge (local) and Knowledge (the planes)
[/sblock]

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Five silver apiece for risking our lives? It's an insult more than a reward. I'm a trained warrior and guardsman, but the others ... Still, coin is coin.

Brad heads to the Foundation district in the guise of a dwarven man, for which he'll give the name Dunkin if asked. He tries a busy tavern, asking if a dwarf by the grifter's description has been seen. If there's no luck, he'll try a few other places and vary his approach a bit. If asked whether he wants to buy apocalypse insurance, he admit he does; but he won't bring the subject up, as he doesn't wish to draw any unnecessary attention to the dwarf's activities.
The district of Foundation is solid and unremarkable, filled with low-income housing for the people who work the Cogs and the caravan districts of Terminus and Wroann’s Gate. There is nary a tavern in sight, only apartments and tenements. However asking around does glean some information. A woman with a bag around her shoulders and a foul odor about her eyes you with a wide, mostly toothless grin as you ask about the dwarf. "Aye, and I can tell ya where to find him too... but if you're so interested, seems the information is worth somethin' to ya." The woman demands five gold galifars before she'll tell you where to find the dwarf.[sblock=Diplomacy DC 15, Intimidate DC 12, or pay 5 gp]"Alright, I can tell ya. He's down in the Harpy Tenements right now. Must have seen him there not 5 minutes ago. He's been wandering around this district ever since the events last night peddling his Apocalypse insurance."[/sblock]

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Alise gives her thanks to the others in the group and lets them know where to find her in the future. Giving directions to The Gathering Light rather than her home for privacy.

She heads to the Gathering Light but stops by her apartment on the way to change out of her party dress. After inspecting the dress for any stains, tears or damage she hangs it carefully and brushes it smooth.

She changes into her normal day to day clothes and prepares to leave for the Gathering Light, but then freezes, struck by the mental vision of the man throwing himself on his sword. She looks to the crossbow and spear her father had given her when she moved out, She had laughed at him telling him how where she was moving was so much safer than where she'd been. She'd never needed felt the need for a crossbow in Highwalls, why should she need one in Dragoneyes.

Now she didn't feel safe anywhere in Sharn, and not even a crossbow would help that. She just wanted to be a little girl again playing in her father's shop. She remembered the smells and the warmth of the sun, she thought to her mother's fresh bread, and the handcrafted doll her father had made. The doll with her left eye lower than her right. How she wished she could go back, there, to just feel... Safe.

She snapped back to reality, That shop is not safe, That shop doesn't even exist, and it's in the middle of the Mournlands. "You are a grown woman, not a little girl, start acting like one"

She packed every useful item she could think off into her backpack including the armor and crossbow her father had given her. She picked up the shortspear, but set it back again beside the door realizing how insane she would appear carrying a spear thru city streets. "Lets not make more trouble for the guards today, considering."

With that she headed out the door to the School/Temple of The Gathering Light.
Alise arrives in Overlook to attend The Gathering Light and meet with Hanamelk. In Overlook, the spires of over a dozen identical towers rise to the sky. While the towers are drab gray granite, bits of color are scattered about—an occasional window of stained glass, a small hanging
garden, a tapestry of Riedran design. When she reaches The Gathering Light, she can see that Selkatari, an elder kalashtar monk within these halls, is training several dozen students in the ways of traditional Adaran martial arts. She skirts her way along the side of the main gymnasium to go and find Hanamelk in the library.

The library of The Gathering Light is merely a collection of scrolls, all of them written in Riedran, the language of the people who live on the distant continent of Sarlona. It is an alien language to Alise, written in strange characters from top to bottom and right to left instead of using phonetic letters to form words left to right and top to bottom like the Galifaran Common language she has seen all her life. Hanamelk's kind eyes spot her from across the library where he has several scrolls upon the table. A shudder runs down Alise's spine when she sees one of the scrolls has a simple drawing of a red moon upon it.

"Welcome back, my child," Hanamelk says, bowing to her as a teacher does to a pupil. It takes a moment but Alise remembers to bow back in deference, as is the kalashtar way. "Your thoughts are known to me. I have sensed the distress you experienced last night even across the boundaries of this city. And the celestial event of last night is known to all. I can see this picture disturbs you. It should. It is an ancient scroll carried by my brother-ancestors to these shores which tells of a battle between the Quori and the Giants, one in which an artifact known as the Moonbreaker was used to banish the Quori back to the Region of Dreams. It is a harrowing tale. But that is a story for another time."

"I have need of your special skills. A student of mine has refused to come to The Gathering Light today. He resides just a few towers away in Highwater in one of the poorer tenements there. He is an elf by the name of Quarion. I believe he fears going out into the street for his life, as there are many wicked rumors surfacing about a part that elves may have played in the bringing of the Blood Moon; it is of course ignorance and foolishness. Please convince him of the error of his ways and persuade him to come to The Gathering Light that he might assist me in studying this phenomenon. I have use of his particular talents, but I am too busy to be drawn away from my work myself. I believe you will find this a most fulfilling task that will aid your soul in its pursuit of enlightenment."

Hanamelk provides you with Quarion's address and then leaves you to continue his work.
OOC: I have Alise's skill points spent. Everyone else please remember to include where you spent your skill points in your next post.
[sblock=Plot Hooks]Party: Speak to Denion at The Crystals of Denion about his missing daughter.

Vigil Mini Hook: Find Brother Wayden at the Cathedral of the Cleansing Flame. (active)

Berrent Mini Hook: Visit the Rat's Market and press the goblin Skaken for information on the Cults of the Dragon Below.

Brad Mini Hook: Find the dwarf grifter in Foundation before the Tyrants do. (active)

Alise Mini Hook: Seek Hanamelk at The Gathering Light for his counsel and meditation. (active)[/sblock]

Remove ads