• Carrion Crown

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Jade Regent

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Skull & Shackles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shattered Star (just started...)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Another option (please tell us what it is)

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Poll closed .

NewJeffCT

First Post
I'm looking to run an adventure path for a newly formed gaming group. Which APs do you guys think are the best and worst of the lot?

As an alternate, what would be a good level 1/2 adventure to run for players that could lead into an AP?

Nebten

First Post
http://www.enworld.org/forum/pathfinder-rpg-discussion/318263-adventure-path.html

http://www.enworld.org/forum/pathfinder-rpg-discussion/302902-best-adventure-path.html

http://www.enworld.org/forum/pathfinder-rpg-discussion/299050-adventure-paths-best-ones.html

That should get you started.

We Be Goblins is a free module that acts as a prologue to the Jade Regent AP. The characters play as goblins, but I see no reason not to transfer the gold & XP earned over to their "real" characters. Unless you want them to go through the AP as goblins, which would get messy.

The re-released RotRL would get my vote if you are after a good vanilla fantasy quest (with some nasty thrown in). The hardcover is also very cheap compared to 6 softcovers. Kingmaker for a sandbox and Jade Regent for some oriental action

However more info about your group required!

NewJeffCT

First Post
The re-released RotRL would get my vote if you are after a good vanilla fantasy quest (with some nasty thrown in). The hardcover is also very cheap compared to 6 softcovers. Kingmaker for a sandbox and Jade Regent for some oriental action

However more info about your group required!

How has Rise of the Runelords changed since the original version came out several years back? Was it updated for PF rules, vs the original 3.5? I have the originals, I think. I didn't love the maps - it had several tribes of goblins within a short walk of Sandpoint, which seemed kind of strange to me. I DM'd the first two adventures for my old group (Burnt Offerings & then Skinsaw Murders) and that went fairly well. However, it seemed kind of too linear for my tastes, and also it seemed to follow the standard D&D progressions - goblins to ogres to giants - so, I kind of lost interest after that.

tylermalan

First Post
I haven't played them all (or even most, or even three...) but I've been involved in many "best AP threads" and the one thing I've taken from those discussions is that there really isn't a "best." There are some people who have read all or many and played in many, and can talk about how the writing is, and the adventure design, and the linearity, etc... But what these threads always come down to is that they're literally ALL good campaigns. Some are written better than others but NONE of them are perfect and ALL of them have faults in the story/writing here and there depending on your outlook.

This being the case, the main thing to consider when trying to choose one is the material itself. You wanna pirate? You wanna giants? You wanna horror? Well the pirate one is good, the giant one is good, and the horror one is good. Even if the pirate one has better writing and overall adventure design than the horror one, if your group doesn't dig pirates then you probably won't notice how much "better" it is because you won't like it at all anyway. It's just not like there's two horror APs, and the two can be compared. Paizo generally has high quality adventure design, so pick what you like.

As such, I didn't vote!

triqui

Adventurer
I liked kingmaker, but got sick of it in the last books. Curse of Crimson Throne is the best one, and I'll like to point to Way of the Wicked, a 3pp from Firemountain Games, where you play the evil guys (a group of followers of Asmodean trying to collapse a LG kingdom). It's very good, although a bit different to normal (being the villains and all that is not everybody's cup of tea)

Crothian

First Post
Kingmaker is great including the last book. We are currently having fun with Council of Thieves though the DM is putting in a lot of extra work to make it better. We are going to start Serpent's Skull next and reading through it it looks fun.

Wycen

Explorer
I wanna vote but I have not played all these. Nor have I read them all.

I think it is important to know how your group plays together and what issues you might discover. Not only personality wise but who likes to play what kind of game, railroad versus sandbox.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases