• Carrion Crown

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Jade Regent

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Skull & Shackles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shattered Star (just started...)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Another option (please tell us what it is)

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Poll closed .

NewJeffCT

First Post
For those of you who played Kingmaker, did one of the PCs end up being King or Queen? We had started Kingmaker last year in my gaming group, but due to my move for work, we had to end it before we did any serious kingdom building. However, in looking back at the group, there really was no PC that was better suited for ruling than the others. It was a group of six PCs and they seemed to all naturally fit into "supporting" roles - Magistar, Warden, etc. - however, because it was truncated, we never got into it in depth (they went from beating the Stag Lord, to having a few interim encounters, to fighting the fey queen)

NewJeffCT

First Post
I wanna vote but I have not played all these. Nor have I read them all.

I think it is important to know how your group plays together and what issues you might discover. Not only personality wise but who likes to play what kind of game, railroad versus sandbox.

There are also a lot of levels in between "railroad" and "sandbox" - my old group played Kingmaker, but tended to come at it pretty straight. They encountered the bandits at Oleg's and then had to move on to defeat each group of bandits until beating the Stag Lord. They never really got to any of the exploration due to my having to end the campaign early.

(And, yes, they knew they had to do the exploring, but thought the bandit threat was more important than exploring right away)

Papa-DRB

First Post
For those of you who played Kingmaker, did one of the PCs end up being King or Queen?

Yes, but.....

I started with six players, and one of them was a Paladin, who became Baron after they defeated the Stag Lord. I added a "plot device", the sister to Baron Maegar Varn, who became his Baroness which would have led into Chapter 3.

Then the players real life wife got pregnant with their first, and he dropped out, so I now have two NPCs as rulers, since all the others were definitely "support" type characters.

-- david
Papa.DRB

Edit: Anyway, I am a Charter Adventure Path Subscriber, so I have them all and read them all. Kingmaker and Curse of the Crimson Throne are perhaps two of the best ones, with Rise of the Runelords being a close third, especially the updated one to Pathfinder rules.

Last edited:

triqui

Adventurer
Kingmaker is great including the last book. We are currently having fun with Council of Thieves though the DM is putting in a lot of extra work to make it better. We are going to start Serpent's Skull next and reading through it it looks fun.

Kingmaker is cool, but you need to house-rule, re-write, or ignore the awful army mechanics. It's just stupidly expensive to pay *one week* of armies, let alone having a regular army recruited. The fact you have to pay their mounts, bows, and armors *weekly* is beyond my acceptable "not so good rule" and far into "this has not been playtested, not even 5 minutes" realm.

Crothian

First Post
Kingmaker is cool, but you need to house-rule, re-write, or ignore the awful army mechanics. It's just stupidly expensive to pay *one week* of armies, let alone having a regular army recruited. The fact you have to pay their mounts, bows, and armors *weekly* is beyond my acceptable "not so good rule" and far into "this has not been playtested, not even 5 minutes" realm.

While those rules aren't the greatest and only really matter in book 5, you've got some of them wrong. The mounts and equipment is just a one time payment. By the time we got to this part of the campaign out Kingdom was making so much money that we basically had three armies in the field for each army the enemy had. So while it was expensive it was a problem we could just throw money at and solve.

triqui

Adventurer
While those rules aren't the greatest and only really matter in book 5, you've got some of them wrong. The mounts and equipment is just a one time payment. By the time we got to this part of the campaign out Kingdom was making so much money that we basically had three armies in the field for each army the enemy had. So while it was expensive it was a problem we could just throw money at and solve.

Is that an Errata? Because in the book example, it wasn't like that. See Centaur's outrider consumption 5 (they are paying for their bows, weekly, and they are even paying for they "horses", as they count as cavalry), or the Boggard's consumption of 14, which includes the healing potions. Bassically, every saturday night, if they haven´t used the potions already, they drank them, and you have to pay them again in next Sunday morning.

Not to count that it cost you the same 10BP to give potions to a group of 10 elite rangers, than a horde of 5.000 legionaires, or the fact you can raise as much armies you want, as long as you have money (or even if you don´t, as they don´t disband if they don´t get paid, they just get a minus to morale). So, while you need a certain kindom size to raise a unit of 5000, you can raise 5000 units of 1000 if you want, march for a week, crush the enemy, then disband them. Plus there's no hint about how good the soldiers are. You can raise lvl 1 warriors, or lvl 10 paladins. The only difference is you have to pay more. It doesn't even matter if you haven´t build a single barrack, ever, in any of your cities. You can have armies, without having barracks, or castles, or even watchtowers. You can have cavalry even if you don´t have stables, and so on.

Plus you only swim in BP if you go the "magic item factory" route. Without spamming magin items to sell (for example, if your DM doesn´t want or allow "ye old magic shop" in game), then the economy simply can´t support having an army.

In my opinion, it was a huuuuuuge dissapointment. The first two books were great, the 4th was ok, but the 5th was quite bad, in my opinion. YMMV, of course, but the OP is asking for opinions, and mine is that.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases