Knight Feat Build

Dandu

First Post
If you are using a small reach weapon, Monkey Grip is not needed, since it is a feat for using weapons one size category larger than you are.

Let's look at Monkey Grip.

Benefit
You can use melee weapons one size category larger than you are with a -2 penalty on the attack roll, but the amount of effort it takes you to use the weapon does not change. For instance, a Large longsword (a one-handed weapon for a Large creature) is considered a two-handed weapon for a Medium creature that does not have this feat. For a Medium creature that has this feat, it is still considered a one-handed weapon. You can wield a larger light weapon as a light weapon, or a larger two-handed weapon in two hands. You cannot wield a larger weapon in your off hand, and you cannot use this feat with a double weapon.
Normal
You can use a melee weapon one size category larger than you are with a -2 penalty on the attack roll, and the amount of effort it takes to use the weapon increases. A larger light weapon is considered a one-handed weapon, a larger one-handed weapon is considered a two-handed weapon, and you cannot use a larger two-handed weapon at all.

If you want to use a large reach weapon of the two-handed variety, you would normally not be able to do so. With Monkey Grip, you can now do so. With both hands, of course. If you want to use a large one-hand weapon, you would normally have to use two hands, but now you can do it with one.

Unfortunately, a large one-hand weapon has a reach of 5 feet unless we're talking about the kusari-gama, so that's not terribly helpful if we want to give someone Reach with Monkey Grip.

But I'm no expert, I just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Feel free to correct me if I have it wrong.

Last edited:

ImperatorK

First Post
You can use a small two-handed weapon as one-handed thanks to "inapproprietly sized weapons" rules. Monkey Grip allows to use a weapon one size larger. Thus, you can use a medium sized two-handed weapon one-handed.
I'm not saying it is better or optimal. I'm saying that you where incorrect. It does work like I was initially saying it does.

What, exactly, is the gain from using a reach weapon one-handed, when you can just use it two-handed? The Knight class has exactly one ability that makes use of a shield (Shield Block), and it's not a spectacular one. Why limit yourself by using a shield? Pick up a Guisarme and some Armor Spikes already, or if you don't mind the feat tax, get that Spiked Chain, dammit!

Having a shield around does have a few uses, although the Knight doesn't really do much for them. Crusader? Yes. Same for a fighter AoO and shield build.

There is at least one good use for using a smaller weapon: Exotic Weapon Master's Uncanny Blow.

Imperator: Monkey Grip wouldn't work for using a two-handed weapon in one hand with the penalty because the weapon size rules specifically mention the difference between the wielder's actual size and the size of the creature for which the weapon is intended. Monkey Grip does not say the wielder is treated as being one size category larger, merely that the wielder can use larger weapons.

ImperatorK

First Post
Large longsword => two-handed without MG => one-handed with MG.
Medium greatsword => two-handed without MG => one-handed with MG.
The weapons are treated as smaller. A smaller two-hander is considered a one-hander, as per the "inapproprietly sized weapons" rules.

kitcik

Adventurer
Never mind. I want to fight about something other than this.

But, for the record, I agree with Dandu... and Jackinthegreen... and the rules.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Monkey Grip allows to use a weapon one size larger. Thus, you can use a medium sized two-handed weapon one-handed.

This isn't a case of Miniature Giant Space Hamsters.

Your interpretation doesn't work because of the st of the sentence: Monkey Grip allows to use a weapon one size larger..."than you are with a -2 penalty on the attack roll, but the amount of effort it takes you to use the weapon does not change."

1) a small polearm that you could use one handed that is then made bigger is now A normal sized polearm for you. It is not covered by the Monkey Grip feat which affects ONLY your interactions with weapons larger than you can normally use.

2) even if it did, the feat expressly says that the amount of effort required to wield the weapon "does not change." A two-handed weapon still requires 2 hands to use.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases