D&D General GM's Closet for the CONAN RPG

Water Bob

Adventurer
conan_by_fracture75-d7b1etg.jpg

Water Bob

Adventurer
-- THE BORDER MOUNTAINS OF ARGOS --

The border mountains of Argos are not as high as many, but crossing them at the wrong time of year can be treacherous. Still, trade caravans from all over the known world venture to the kingdom to ply their wares.

1381806200.jpg

Water Bob

Adventurer
Laurro, 2nd Level Argossean Soldier

This is a quick NPC that you can throw into your games. His name is Laurro, and he's a 2nd Level Soldier classed character. Note that this NPC has 1 Fate Point.

A couple of things to make him memorable. He's got a smooth, bone handled knife stuck in his right boot. The character is right handed. This knife will usually remain hidden. Laurro uses it as his surprise last resort. Laurro is right handed.

His boots are thick, hard leather. Soldiers' boots. And, he hides something in each one.

In the left boot, there is a small fur pouch. Currently, this pouch holds 6 pieces of silver.

In the skills section, I didn't assign all of the character's skill points. Customize this guy as you see fit. I usually don't spend all the Skill Points (sometimes, I don't spend any) when creating the character. Characters in this game take enough time to create already. What I do is assign, if necessary, during the game. Many times, the skills aren't even addressed in a game. If they are, I'll decide on the spot if a certain skill needs to be improved with skill points.

Likewise, I only listed the character's Class Skills below. Anything not on that list is a Cross-Class Skill.

I only used one of the Hyborian Adaptability skills (I used it for Spot). So, another Cross-Class Skill can be chosen--in game, if necessary--for that bonus. The rest is laid out in quick notes that a GM can give a glance and then play the character quickly.

Laurro, 2nd level Argossean Soldier
Str 15 (+2), Dex 14 (+2), Con 13 (+1), Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8 (-1)

HP: 15

FATE 1

BAB +2

Parry AC 13
Parry with shield AC 16
Dodge AC 13

Targe +3, Dam 1d4, Crit x2, AP --

DR 7
Mail Hauberk DR 6
Helm DR +1

Speed 25

Hunting Bow: Dam 1d8, Crit x2, AP 1, Rng 50’

Arming Sword: Dam 1d8, Crit 19 x2, AP 2

Knife with smooth bone handle stuffed in right boot. Dam 1d4, Crit x2, AP --, Range 10’

Proficiency Feat: Two Weapon Combat
1st Level Feat: Toughness
1st Level Soldier Bonus Feat: Skill Focus – Spot +3
2nd Level Soldier Bonus Feat: Point Blank Shot (+1 ranged attack and damage up to 30’).

Class Skills: STR= Climb, Jump DEX= Ride INT= Craft, Knowledge (Geography), Knowledge (Local) Knowledge (Rumors), Knowledge (Warfare), Search, Spot +7 WIS= Profession CHA= Intimidate, Perform

Skill Points = 10 (2 used on Spot)

Other Possessions: heavy wilderness cloak, silver necklet (non-flexible) 50sp, small fur coin pouch with 6 sp stuffed in left boot. Heavy leather boots reach just short of knees.

Argossean Traits: +2 racial bonus to Gather Information, Profession (Sailor), Balance, Use Rope.

Background Skills: +2 ranks to Gather Information, Knowledge (Raeze and Ceras Keep), Survival, Balance, Use Rope.

Hyborian Traits: Adaptability (1 used on Spot), Weapon Familiarity, +1 Fate.

Languages: Argossean (native), Zingaran, Shemite, Ophirean, Aquilonian

Water Bob

Adventurer
Grazzi Marchahni

Grazzi is Laurro's companion. They've known each other for years and are sword brothers. Grazzi comes from the Merchant Class, where Laurro is a Freeman Commoner, but both are in-the-mud dog soldiers. It is ironic that Laurro is able to afford more costly armor that what Grazzi wears, but that is how life is sometimes. It doesn't make sense.

When not in an all-out melee and out for blood, Grazzi's favorite tactic is to use his Bill to trip his foe, and then Intimidate the hell of the poor sod while he's laying on his back. In many cases, this works. Situation over. When it doesn't work, it leaves Grazzi in a powerful position standing over his downed foe.

Grazzi Marchahni, 2nd level Argossean Soldier
Str 14 (+2), Dex 15 (+2), Con 10, Int 13 (+1), Wis 10, Cha 10

HP: 16

FATE 1

BAB +2

Parry AC 13
Dodge AC 13

DR 6
Brigadine Coat DR 6

Speed 25

Crossbow: Dam 2d6, Crit x2, AP 4, Rng 60’

Belt quiver that holds 10 bolts can be strapped on but is not worn normally. Grazzi will grab it inside the tower—if he needs to leave the tower with the crossbow. Otherwise, he leaves the crossbow and grabs the Bill.

Short Sword: Dam 1d8, Crit 19 x2, AP 1

Poinard: Dam 1d6, Crit 19 x2, AP 1, Rng 5’

Bill: Dam 2d8, Crit x3, AP 6

Proficiency Feat: Two Weapon Combat
1st Level Feat: Alertness (+2 Listen and Spot)
1st Level Bonus Feat: Combat Expertise
2nd Level Bonus Feat: Improved Trip.

Class Skills: STR= Climb, Jump DEX= Ride INT= Craft, Knowledge (Geography), Knowledge (Local) Knowledge (Rumors), Knowledge (Warfare), Search, Spot +7 WIS= Profession, Listen +6 CHA= Intimidate +5, Perform

Skill Points = 15 (3 used on Spot, 3 used on Listen, 5 used on Intimidate)

Other Possessions: Silver chain with the symbol of Mitra hangs around his neck (60 sp). Small belt pouch at waist contains 3 sp.

Argossean Traits: +2 racial bonus to Gather Information, Profession (Sailor), Balance, Use Rope.

Background Skills: +2 ranks to Gather Information, Knowledge (Raeze and Ceras Keep), Survival, Balance, Use Rope.

Hyborian Traits: Adaptability (Listen and Spot), Weapon Familiarity, +1 Fate.

Languages: Argossean (native), Zingaran, Shemite, Ophirean, Aquilonian, Nemedian

Water Bob

Adventurer
Easy Literacy System

The Conan game is generous with languages, and it is assumed that all player characters are literate, most non-player characters are literate, and commoners (and probably some races like the Picts) are illiterate. There's a rule in the Common class description that allows a non-literate character to spend two skill points to become literate.

But, even that is extremely generous. It only costs two skill points to be 100% literate in every language the character knows and every language the character will learn in the future?

Many Conan GM's do not spend a lot of time on language rules. The game is designed that way. Conan never seems to have a problem communicating in the stories.

Here's is a little, easy rule that you can use if you want to have a little more attention paid to languages, but you still don't want to make it a pain in the rear end.

INT Check

Assume that literate characters are more literate in some known languages and less literate in others. This stands to reason and is probably the case with most individuals more often than not.

When a character needs to read something important, simply allow that character to make an INT check to see if he can read the piece. Assign a DC to the roll that reflects the character's familiarity with the language.

For example, the character I posted above, Grazzi, has INT 13 (+1 modifier), and his native language is Argossean. So, anytime the character needs to read something written in Argossean, the check should probably be automatic. But, what if Grazzi finds a parchment written in an older Argossean tongue? Well, assign a DC that is based on how easy it should be for a native speaker of the modern language to read that parchment.

If a character has the Decipher Script skill, then allow that person to use the skill on these checks in place of the standard INT check.

Now, note that the character Grazzi also knows Ophirean. And, it has been decided that the only reason Grazzi knows Ophirean is because he has dealt with traders from Ophir on several occasions. Grazzi hasn't immersed himself in the culture or spent a lot of time in Ophir. Therefore, it's reasonable to think that, even though the character knows Ophirean, that reading the language is probably harder than getting along with those speakers in a conversation. If that's the case, then make the DC to read the Ophiran something that fits the situation. If Grazzi reads Argossean, it's probably an automatic success or a very easy number to beat--say a DC 5+. OTOH, Grazzi can speak Ophirean enough to get by, but if he wants to read it, the GM may call for a check of 8+ or 10+.

Long messages would require a higher DC, of course. Something short, like a sign over a taproom, might still require a check, but an easy one--say 3+ or 5+.

Speak!

The Ref can even use this simple method to introduce dialects and thick accents to his game world. I've spoken English all my life, but I just don't have an ear for a thick Irish brogue. I watch movies like Snatch and Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, and there are some parts where I just stare at the TV, not understanding a word. And, the Pikers....don't get me started!

From time to time, it might be fun for the GM to roleplay a character that the PCs can't understand. This may result to INT checks. Again, base the check on the listener's past experience with the language.

Fluency.

Using this easy rule, your PCs will be quite fluent in some languages and know only the basics of other languages that they know. Over time (and use of the language), a character will become more and more fluent with specific languages.

Remove ads