Play-by-Post: Different Levels in One Adventure

Schiffer

First Post
So in my PbP experience, all the players were one level, but here in L4W it seems that I'll have alot of different levels. What advice can vertern DMs offer to help make multi-level adventures?

Nebten

First Post
You don't. 4th edition D&D is not set up to have 1st level characters play with 8th level characters. Your best bet is to have it be set at one level and allow characters a level below and a level above in on the game. I know you want to try to accomidate everybody, espically being the new guy, but it won't work out in the end. Thanx again for stepping up and DM'ing, it is appricated. Just don't over do it in the beginning or you'll burn out. As a few board members have already said, "PbP is a marathon, not a sprint.""

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Roughly, yes. More variance means either the high levels aren't challenged or the low levels are wiped.

renau1g

First Post
The only time I'd suggest allowing someone more than 1 level lower, is if they have a built in accuracy mechanism (so the avenger) or are able to regularly target non-AC (esp Will), so the rogue and an illusion wizard, and a pacifist cleric. Even a lazylord might be ok too as they're not doing the attacking.

Son of Meepo

First Post
In my experience +/-2 levels from the target is ok, more than that is a stretch but even someone 3 or more levels below can contribute effectively if the character is at all optimized.

I tend to recruit in a 4-5 level band (my latest adventure was for 10-13). Then once I find out the levels of the PCs that are playing. I tailor the encounters for that party.

For example if I budget an AL+1 encounter into my adventure and my party is levels (10, 11, 11, 12, 12, 13), I'll add the +1 to each of those levels (11, 12, 12, 13, 13, 14) and then take the xp of a monster of that level (600, 700, 700, 800, 800, 1000). That total (4600) will be my budget for an AL+1 encounter.

In my experience +/-2 levels from the target is ok, more than that is a stretch but even someone 3 or more levels below can contribute effectively if the character is at all optimized.

I tend to recruit in a 4-5 level band (my latest adventure was for 10-13). Then once I find out the levels of the PCs that are playing. I tailor the encounters for that party.

For example if I budget an AL+1 encounter into my adventure and my party is levels (10, 11, 11, 12, 12, 13), I'll add the +1 to each of those levels (11, 12, 12, 13, 13, 14) and then take the xp of a monster of that level (600, 700, 700, 800, 800, 1000). That total (4600) will be my budget for an AL+1 encounter.

This! I don't know why... but I've never thought about doing it this way... Genius, SoM!!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases