D&D 5E Campaign Playtest - Rise of the Runelords

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Disclaimer: This thread is for cataloguing our Playtest of our DnDN campaign. Currently we have played 3 sessions (report on Page 3).

The Game/Setting
I initially wanted to convert Rise of the Runelords for our first 4E game but it never eventuated. This time around I am playing it with the Ballarat group as a full playtest (starting with playtest packet 2).

Our website for this campaign is: Golarion - Pathfinder Campaign Setting Home Page - Golarion

See the site for many of the extras - this thread on Enworld will mainly be to discuss the Playtesting aspects like I did in our "5 Session Playtest" thread.

Last edited:

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
The Players

We have 6 members in this group. I haven't identified other players here, though some of them may jump in and post.

DM: Me. Almost 40 years old, began with AD&D. Have played extensively throughout all editions and don't have a favourite. (There are parts of each I liked and disliked - thus still seeking my fav version ;))

Player 1: Same age as me. Similar play experience to me.

Player 2: Brother of Player 1. Slightly older and a similar experience to me too I think.

Player 3: Husband of Player 4 - mid to late 20's? May have played some 2E, but played a lot of 3E & 4E (inc running his own Dark Sun game with another group currently).

Player 4: Wife of Player 3. I believe started with 4E.

Player 5: Mid-late 20's. I think started with 4E. (Even runs his own game now).

So we are a diverse group and have interesting backgrounds on how we formed this group, but I won't bore you with that. We travel and meet in a central town (Ballarat) 1/month. I think we have a good spread of players for playtesting :)

Last edited:

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
The Characters

All characters Abilities were rolled randomly using the 4d6 method. Scores were kept in order with one swap allowed. (We did this whilst together for another game and the players then took their stats to make PCs - some are still in progress).

You can visit our Campaign Site for further details, but regarding playtest materials, here is what each player has come up with so far:

Player 1: Mountain Dwarf Cleric (War) of Torag. (BG: Artisan - stonemason; Specialty - Acolyte).

Player 2: Human Rogue (Thief). (BGs: Charlatan; Specialty: Archer).

Player 3: Hill Dwarf Wizard. (BG: Noble; Specialty: Magic-User).

Player 4: Hill Dwarf Fighter. (BG: Thug; Specialty: Dual-Wielder).

Player 5: High-Elf Warlock. (BG: Charlatan; Specialty: Magic-User).

I am not sure whether any players determined these things randomly? perhaps they could let us know. I have my suspicions that Player 1 may have at least done part of his randomly.

Last edited:

Vamprey

First Post
Player 2:

Background (Charlatan) and Specialty (Archer) were both rolled randomly and led to some interesting developments for the character in terms of personality, goals, education etc.

kuraban

Explorer
Player 1: Me. :)

Mountain Dwarf Cleric (War) of Torag. (BG: Artisan - stonemason; Specialty - Acolyte)

Class was determined randomly. Then selected short list of specialties and backgrounds, then randomly rolled. Race was selected solely on the base of wanting to use picture of dwarf by Kerem Beyit, my favorite fantasy artist at the moment.

Balesir

Adventurer
Thanks for this. Even though you clearly have very different play tastes to me (in fact, probably because of that) your playtest reports are always an enlightening read.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Goblin Tribes

This is for GMs only (so my players stay out of attachments ;)).

For others wishing to run R0tR, you might be interested in the following. I have a 'Realms' system/set of charts I use to determine and layout everything from a small hamlet to a tribe, to a forest or large kingdom. By collating all the main info in Headings I can follow, I can easily find the info I am after.

Below are the 5 goblin tribes known to exist around Sandpoint (which also has its own Realm Sheet in post below). I compiled the info about them into one place and added a few individual touches myself. If GMing this, you might find it useful.

Edit - 11th October 2012 : (Not for players) I revised these again and now have included stats for all goblins that will be encountered (except for a couple of 'names' from the Thistletops. I have also added a chart with 'sample goblins' with gear and traits predetermined. I have done enough of these for my encounters, but you may add more. Hope you enjoy.

Attachments

• Goblin Tribe - Birdcruncher.doc
    594.5 KB · Views: 313
  • Goblin Tribe - Mosswood.doc
    162.5 KB · Views: 335
  • Goblin Tribe - Seven Tooth.doc
    298.5 KB · Views: 370
  • Goblin Tribe - Thistletop.doc
    250 KB · Views: 335
  • Goblin Tribe - Licktoad.doc
    254 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Sandpoint

I have coalated all the info regarding Sandpoint, places, NPCs etc I know onto one of my Realm Sheets.

This organises info by type and includes modifiers you may use for interactions in the town.

I have added some of my own info for our campaign.

Contacts: Another use I have for this, is I print it out and then roll some positive and negative contacts for my PCs from the many NPCs in the doc. I thine write who they are contacts with on the sheet: Red = -ve; Green = +ne.

Numbering the NPCs (or places where other NPCs are) is also a good list for future reference when needing a random NPC.

Edit - 11th October 2012: Added stats for Tsuto (Playtest 2 version).

Edit (6th October 2012): I updated the Sandpoint Realms doc.
I also added a Swallowtail Festivities and Games doc. NB: Most of these games came from this thread on the Paizo boardshttp://paizo.com/forums/dmtz1srx?Extra-events-and-games-at-the-Swallowtail. A special thanks to Delthos who posted most games and the thread. I have modified the games for DnDNext Playtest 2 and added some others.

Attachments

• Town - Sandpoint.doc
    721.5 KB · Views: 534
  • Swallowtail Festival - Games.docx
    24.5 KB · Views: 641
  • NPC - Tsuto (Stats) - DnDN PT2.doc
    40 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
[MENTION=6688285]Blackwarder[/MENTION]

Thanks (I tried to XP you, but it seems I can't yet ;)). I find them very handy. They take a bit of getting used to, but once you are it becomes so easy to locate info, add extra stuff and I like that the have an actual use 'in game' (though I might need to cap the modifiers for DnDNext).

Anyway, the template and docs with charts and references on how to fill in each section are available on our website (see sig) if interested. FB on these is always welcome too ;)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases