Revolution

Jemal

Adventurer
I'll definitely give it a couple more episodes before I make any judgements. So far it hasn't instantly grabbed me like Jericho did (WHY DO THEY CANCEL ALL THE GOOD STUFF!?!?), but it hasn't lost me yet either. Definitely closer to Jeremiah (Which was a mostly decent post-apoc show).

I think my primary problem with the first episode should go away with the second.. They spoiled pretty much every major point of the episode in the teasers & Trailers, and b/c i was so hyped waiting for the show, I kept watching them, so the actual episode itself seemed to hold very little that was new.

I did enjoy the fight choreography though, hope they don't slack off too much later.

Janx

Hero
One of my spies has seen the show, and his commentary is thus:

people with guns get killed. People with crossbows and swords live.

ex-military guy with sword can kill 20 guys with guns.

cross-bow wielding kid seeing dad shot with a single shot rifle, shoots that guy, instead of the commander who has an automatic pistol of some sort. Who later wipes out village (probably the only time a guy with a gun is successful in his endeavor).

Also, villagers with a wall and a gate, should really keep the damn gate shut when you live in a hostile world that necessitates having a wall and a gate around your village.

I'm not hearing good things. The acting isn't good. The fight scenes were allegedly good, despite the people doing tactically stupid things.

Fast Learner

First Post
ex-military guy with sword can kill 20 guys with guns.
Nah, 10 of the 12 or so had swords, only two of them had guns, and those appeared to be hand-tamped muskets of some kind that only had single shots, and they rarely had a clear shot due to the sword guys being in the way and the cover-filled terrain. And he had help from his allies for a few of the kills.

It was certainly over-the-top heroic battle stuff, but nothing you don't see in action films all the time.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Watching the pilot right now, and so far:

BAD: fight physics- not only do guns not actually knock you back, crossbows REALLY don't knock you back; planes don't fall like that unless they do a steep vertical climb and stall- something an airliner is unlikely to be doing; asthma meds have a limited shelf life; characters are inconsistently adept; bad guys are unbelievably bad shots a la Imperial Stormtroopers; too much "Dude" ex machina

GOOD: this is NOT making the "Swiss Family Robinson" mistake Terra Nova did, where everyone gets a good dose of plot protection; SFX for the lost world is pretty decent;

This one is on a short leash.

Jhaelen

First Post
They want a fantasy that serves up these rugged, harsh worlds, but they still want attractive and relatively clean characters.
Who are 'they'?
I've found this is mostly a feature of U.S. TV shows, only. Apparently, it's not acceptable for the U.S. public to have a show featuring 'ugly' or 'unclean' characters.

It's one of the reasons I couldn't ever enjoy any of the U.S. Fantasy shows: Conan, Xena, Sindbad, etc., etc. It just annoys me to see the 'heroes' in their clean and obviously unworn garb rolling in the dirt only to get up and be just as immaculate as they were before.

Just compare the British 'Robin of Sherwood' show from 1986 with the U.S. 'Robin Hood' show 20 years later. It's a world of a difference. The British show has its fair share of the ugly and dirty and it's a much better show for it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Gotta agree- the British scifi/fantasy shows tend to cast actors covering a broader visual aesthetic...though some are a bit more Americanized in that regard. I love Primeval, for instance, but that's a sharp-looking cast they have. Errr...had.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Who are 'they'?
I've found this is mostly a feature of U.S. TV shows, only. Apparently, it's not acceptable for the U.S. public to have a show featuring 'ugly' or 'unclean' characters.

It's one of the reasons I couldn't ever enjoy any of the U.S. Fantasy shows: Conan, Xena, Sindbad, etc., etc. It just annoys me to see the 'heroes' in their clean and obviously unworn garb rolling in the dirt only to get up and be just as immaculate as they were before.

They are PRODUCERS or they get that title, all they know are focus groups and Q Score (how watchers respond to a star/band) and sponsers and target demographics. They do not have any concept of reality, just what their marketing and focus groups tell them...like when we say planes falling from the sky, they want to see plane fall from the sky. Or that 8 to 13 year old like dinos, lets add dinos! If a good guy comes across as too bad ass, they give him a dog.

It is not about what you as a viewer wants but what their focus groups and sponser say you want. I think this is one of the reasons, you are seeing better shows on cable and pay per view networks. Strike Back, Boss, Justified, Falling Skies, Broadwalk Empires, Breaking Bad, etc.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Yes, that really bugged me. Cocking that crossbow must have required a dozen men, and firing it....

things that I thought they should have had...

Spears or other pole arm - it is a freaking reach weapon and easier to learn over a sword.

Watch Tower - maybe a boring job in a area were there is a large armed force in the area but roving bandits, it would have thought.

Also, Mass fire weapons. Just a simple tube with 10 to 20 arrows and a spring system, pull back and release.

Last edited:

Karak

First Post
Ok EN World I am prepping to watch this tonight.
I am now not sure if I should be excited, slightly desirous of getting any time I lose back, or just sad...

I for one didn't like the first couple episodes of Jericho but then loved it same with Falling Skies. I am ok with a slow couple first episodes.

Crossing my fingers on this one.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases