More Than Just a Shaggy Ogre

Jhaelen

First Post
I tend to prefer Minotaurs as a people and I'm not all that big on Dragonlance, and don't play WOW at all.
I don't really care either way. Just use the same approach they used to turn Lycanthropes into a playable race, a.k.a. the Shifters.

The 'problem' is that in the (long) history of D&D we've seen tens of thousands of monsters, many of them inspired from the same mythological sources. It's impossible to come up with a consistent background or ecology for all of them.

Imho, just like pantheons or magic-systems, monsters and races should be setting-specific if you want them to be 'done right'.

A 'generic' minotaur doesn't make sense.

Steely_Dan

First Post
Imho, just like pantheons or magic-systems, monsters and races should be setting-specific if you want them to be 'done right'.

A 'generic' minotaur doesn't make sense.

So you would have a minotaur for every campaign setting?

And they don't need to be in every campaign setting. *looks at 4th Ed Dark Sun*

Stormonu

Legend
The one thing that I fear about all this is the attempt to 'brand' the monsters. I like variety in the look and feel of the various monsters and the attempts to iconize them rubs me the wrong way. The minotaur (and yuan-ti) really bring this to light. There's multiple ways to do the minotaur, why force one way to be 'right' and all the others to be wrong?

Balesir

Adventurer
So you would have a minotaur for every campaign setting?

And they don't need to be in every campaign setting. *looks at 4th Ed Dark Sun*
You more-or-less said it already: there should be a minotaur for every setting that needs one.

Same with gods and pantheons. Same with all monsters. Same with magic items and Artifacts. None of these are part of the "rules" as such - they are world elements defined by the said rules.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases