insight needed.

simon_mas

First Post
I've grown unsatisfied with the d20 system.
It's a good system, but I've realised it would need a _serious_ revision in order to fit to my tastes. I would like to rework the classes to run a low fantasy game (even at high levels!), to write a fatigue system, to rework hit points in order to have a kind of vitality point system, to give my players more freedom when it comes to building a character, and more.
That would force me to re-write the whole game!!!
I was already toying with the idea of changing system, but I'm not really sure which one.

My problems are:
1) I want a system that is quite easy to learn. My current players are experienced, but I would like to "initiate" new people as well.
2) I want rules. Not many of them, mind you. But free-forms RPGs like FUDGE confuse me a little... and to be the GameMaster, I must know the system perfectly!
Also, I ave to convert my AD&D material (lots of books, mainly campaign settings) to the new system. I want existing rules to judge how well I'm doing!
3) Despite my need for rules, I'm not an hack 'n slash player. I feel that the rules must be just the base to assure that the game is fair, and that they can be disregarded sometimes, especially if the plot demands it. I don't confure role playing with roll playing.

After some consideration, I think that GURPS is the system that suits me best.
The game is complex, but most of the complexity is concentrated during character creation. As far as I remember, after you finish that, the game runs smooth. I could help novice players during the creation, or just ask them some impunt on the type of character they'd like to run and do the job myself.
Also, GURPS has many many many books. If I want to change my style of gaming, campaign setting, or time period, I should have little or no problem.
As for the conversion, I've found some sites with really helpful information that would make the job easier.

Now, my question is: have you had some experience with GURPS? What do you think of it? Is it balanced? Difficult?
I only played GURPS a couple of time, when I already had some experience.

I would also like to know how difficult it would be to switch from D&D/ AD&D to GURPS.
How much material I could still use, from the old books I own? Will they be useless?

Thanks for your attention and help.
:;) ,
simon.

Ps: Yes, I know, I could buy some dozens d20 books and fix the problems I have with them. But I'm afraid that the issues will stay, or that new ones would arise. Moreover, I've grown tired of Hasbro/ WotC behaviour, and I really don't want to endorse the company anymore.

Ps2: If you want to answer to this tread, please, be polite. These are just my views. I'm not saying (nor implying) that you''re crazy if you like the d20 system as it is. If you think that I'm stupid, that I offend somebody, that my hard feelings towards WotC are gratuitious, pleaase, don't answer to the tread. These are just my feelings. I might be right or wrong, but you're not going to change those feelings by flaming me.

RSKennan

Explorer
No, you're not being stupid, out of line or any other form of unreasonable. I love D20 for the time being, but who knows how I'll feel in a few years? Play the system you're happiest with, and which best suits the stories you want to tell with your group.

Now; about GURPS. I like it alot. I think it is well suited for a low magic game. The system is great at representing "normal" to cinematic levels of power. I don't like GURPS Fantasy's flavor, but there are other ways to whip up a specialized fantasy campaign in the system. You have your pick of several magic systems, including a GURPS-ified version of the MAGE rules, and the historical suppliments are among the best in the industry. The best part of it all is that it's all modular. Use as much or as little as you like, and you can even get started (with some work) with only the core book. As for converting your old material, I'm sure it can be done and if Steve Jackson hasn't already supplied OGL rules for doing so (If that's legal: IANAL), Someone on his boards could likely help you. It shouldn't be too hard, considering that both systems use a bell curve of 3-18 as a basis, if I recall correctly. Good luck, and happy gaming!

As much as I and others love it, D20 isn't the only game in town.

Last edited:

Gospog

First Post
Simon,

Have you tried posting this on some GURPS-realted boards as well?

Someone may have gone through the exact same process as you, but may not post here anymore (for obvious reasons).

Good luck to you!

mearls

Hero
I think GURPS sounds like what you're looking for. It handles realistic games pretty well, and the basic rules are simple. I believe you can download GURPS Lite from SJ Games' web site. Here's the URL:

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/lite/

Personally, I prefer d20 to GURPS but based on my uses of the system it sounds like it might be what you need. The only issue might be that converting D&D material might be a pain, plus character creation can get complicated pretty quickly in GURPS.

Remove ads