All Rogues Game: Wretched Hive of Scum & Villainy

Indirectly, quite a bit. Directly, it's probably more influenced by stuff that's outside the genre entirely; The Godfather, Robert Ludlum style spy-thrillers, James Bond, and whatnot.

But I think I can make a nice line between what I'm hoping to do and writers like Doug Hulick or Scott Lynch are doing too.

And yeah--Porto Liure is Catalan for Freeport. Roughly. But the similarities are more generalized rather than specific.

I noticed your references. I tend to do things like that a little bit subtly (a gang called "The Union of the Snake", anyone?) but sometimes I'm more overt in being silly. I had a game for a while where folks got extra XP every time they could use the lyrics to an 80s song and make it sound natural.

Last edited:

Rune

Once A Fool
You can call me Roderick.

I'm a simple man. I usually like to take the time to enjoy the niceties that life has to offer, but lately things have been a little hectic. One of my...heavier...associates has decided to do me a favor by putting the screws to a rival of mine.

Thing is, the heavy doesn't realize I've a truce with said rival, and now he's going to think I'm trying to put him out of business--which is not an endeavor I am prepared to undertake at this particular juncture.

If that weren't bad enough, my father's been getting a little anxious about a recent undertaking of his own--and he want's me to see if I can take the heat off of him, for a little while. That means raising my profile a bit higher than I normally like, what am I going to do? The man's been good to me.

Complications! Maybe when I get these messes all cleaned up, I'll get a chance to unwind and relax for a good long while...

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Been thinking this over. How 'bout this, HM?

Brick & Porcelain worked in a house of ill repute. Brick served as bouncer, hired muscle and self-appointed protector of Porcelain. Porcelain was a male prostitute with a specialty of dressing in costumes to fulfill the johns' fantasies. After the house shut down (gang war, law crackdown, whatever) the two escaped to a new city but Porcelain uses his skills in assuming different guises to infiltrate and impersonate for pulling cons and acquiring information.

A twist: no matter how good Porcelain thinks his disguises are Brick, his simple-minded brother, can always see through them.

Porcelain: Human rogue (spy) with specialty in Bluff & Disguise and an affinity for small, easily concealed weapons.

I like it. Just need to add in there a few months spent in the wilds (probably traveling between cities) where Brick picks up both his knack for Survival (trait) and Heart of the Wilderness ability.

Maybe in the wilds Brick takes better care of the both of them than in the city, where he is ill-at-ease, and Porcelain is the better provider in the city. But since Porcelain loves the city and Brick will do anything for his "little" brother (who is probably the older) he goes along.

I also took militia veteran so he probably served in a small town/village militia at a stay over when the two made a stop between cities. Probably only there a month before Porcelain grew tired of "Hicksville" :)

Going to have everything done tomorrow night I have run out of time and a lot to read here. So don't wish to rush him. Really only need equipment and finish this background, as I have the rest figured out.

HM

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Of course I had to get the crunch done right away. So here is most everything. As to what he has been up to the past week? Probably playing bodyguard for his "little brudder" but shhh! he's in disguise and on some secret mission again. ;)

[sblock=Brititus "Brick"]
[sblock=Game Info]
Race: Human
Class: Rogue(Scout/Thug)
Level: 1
Experience: 0
Languages: Common (broken a bit)
Deity: ???[/sblock]
[sblock=Abilities]
Code:
STAT  START  MISC ADJ  RACE ADJ  MAGIC ADJ  TOTAL
STR:   15       +1       +2         0       18
DEX:   13       +0        0         0       13
CON:   14       +2        0         0       16
INT:   08       +0        0         0       08
WIS:   10       +0        0         0       10
CHA:   12       +0        0         0       12
[/sblock]
[sblock=Combat]
HP: 15 = [1d8=08] + 03 (CON) + 03 (MISC) + 01 (favored class)
AC: 14 = 10 + 3 (armor) + 0 (shield) + 1 (DEX) + 0 (MISC)
AC Touch: 11 = 10 + 1 (DEX) + 0 (MISC)
AC Flatfooted: 13 = 10 + 3 (armor) + 0 (shield) + 0 (MISC)
INIT: +1 = +1 (DEX) + 0 (MISC)
BAB: +0 = +0 (Rogue)
CMB: +4 = +4 (STR) + 0 (BAB)
CMD: 15 = 10 + 4 (STR) + 1 (DEX) + 0 (BAB)
Fort: +2 = +0 (Rogue) + 2 (CON) + 0 (MISC)
Reflex: +2 = +2 (Rogue) + 1 (DEX) + 0 (MISC)
Will: +0 = +0 (Rogue) + 0 (WIS) + 0 (NISC)
Speed: 30'
Damage Reduction: None
Spell Resistance: None
Spell Failure: 00%[/sblock]
[sblock=Weapon Stats]
Spiked Gauntlet(melee):
Attack: +4 = +0 (BAB) + 4 (STR) + 0 (MISC)
Damage: 1d4+4(P) = + 4 (STR) + 0 (MISC); CRIT20x2

Spear(melee):
Damage: 1d8+6(P) = + 4 (STR) + 2 (Two Handed); CRIT20x3

Morningstar(melee):
Damage: 1d8+6(BorP) = +4 (STR) + 2 (Two Handed); CRIT20x2

Dagger(melee):
Damage: 1d4+4(PorS) = + 4 (STR) + 0 (MISC); CRIT 19-20x2

Spear(ranged):
Attack: +1 = +0 (BAB) + 1 (DEX) + 0 (MISC)
Damage = 1d8+4(P) = +4 (STR) + 0 (MISC); CRIT 20x3, Range: 20 ft.

Dagger(ranged):
Attack: +1 = +0 (BAB) + 1 (DEX) + 0 (MISC)
Damage = 1d4+4(P) = +4 (STR) + 0 (MISC); CRIT 19-20x2, Range: 10 ft.[/sblock]
[sblock=Racial Traits]
Size: Humans are Medium creatures and thus receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Base Speed: Humans have a base speed of 30 feet.
Languages: Humans begin play speaking Common. Humans with high Intelligence scores can choose any languages they want (except secret languages, such as Druidic). See the Linguistics skill page for more information about these languages.
Bonus Feat: Humans select one extra feat at 1st level.
Heart of the Wilderness: Humans raised in the wild learn the hard way that only the strong survive. They gain a racial bonus equal to half their character level on Survival checks. They also gain a +5 racial bonus on Constitution checks to stabilize when dying and add half their character level to their Constitution score when determining the negative hit point total necessary to kill them. This racial trait replaces skilled.[/sblock]
[sblock=Class Features]
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Rogues are proficient with all simple weapons, plus the hand crossbow, rapier, sap, shortbow, and short sword. They are proficient with light armor, but not with shields.

Sneak Attack If a rogue can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, she can strike a vital spot for extra damage.

The rogue's attack deals extra damage (called "precision damage") anytime her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and increases by 1d6 every two rogue levels thereafter. Should the rogue score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied. Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet.

With a weapon that deals nonlethal damage (like a sap, whip, or an unarmed strike), a rogue can make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. She cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual –4 penalty.

The rogue must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. A rogue cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment.

Frightening
(Ex) Whenever a thug successfully uses Intimidate to demoralize a creature, the duration of the shaken condition is increased by 1 round. In addition, if the target is shaken for 4 or more rounds, the thug can instead decide to make the target frightened for 1 round.

This ability replaces trapfinding.[/sblock]
[sblock=Feats & Traits]
Human B: Toughness
1st lvl: Intimidating Prowess

Traits:
a) Bully(social) + 1 to Intimadate and is a class skill
b) Militia Veteran(regional) +1 to Survival and is a class skill[/sblock]
[sblock=Skills]
Skill Ranks: 07 = [8 (Class) - 1 (INT)] x 1 (LvL) + 0 (favored class bonus)
Max Ranks: 1
ACP: -1

Skills:
() = class skill
^ = trained only
Code:
Total                         Stat Rank CS Misc ACP
+00 = Acrobatics()            +01  +00  +0 +00  -1 DEX
-01 = Appraise()              -01  +00  +0 +00     INT
+01 = Bluff()                 +01  +00  +0 +00     CHA
+07 = Climb()                 +04  +01  +3 +00  -1 STR
-01 = Craft():_______         -01  +00  +0 +00     INT
+01 = Diplomacy()             +01  +00  +0 +00     CHA
+na = Disable Device()^       +01  +00  +0 +00  -1 DEX
+01 = Disguise()              +01  +00  +0 +00     CHA
+00 = Escape Artist()         +01  +00  +0 +00  -1 DEX
+00 = Fly                     +01  +00  +0 +00  -1 DEX
+na = Handle Animal^          +01  +00  +0 +00     CHA
+00 = Heal                    +00  +00  +0 +00     WIS
+10 = Intimidate()            +05* +01  +3 +01     CHA
+na = Know:Arcana^            -01  +00  +0 +00     INT
+na = Know:Duneroneering()^   -01  +00  +0 +00     INT
+na = Know:Engineering^       -01  +00  +0 +00     INT
+na = Know:Geography^         -01  +00  +0 +00     INT
+na = Know:History^           -01  +00  +0 +00     INT
+na = Know:Local()^           -01  +00  +0 +00     INT
+na = Know:Nature^            -01  +00  +0 +00     INT
+na = Know:Nobility^          -01  +00  +0 +00     INT
+na = Know:Planes^            -01  +00  +0 +00     INT
+na = Know:Religion^          -01  +00  +0 +00     INT
+na = Linguistics()^          -01  +00  +0 +00     INT
+04 = Perception()            +00  +01  +3 +00     WIS
+01 = Perform():________      +01  +00  +0 +00     CHA
+04 = Profession()^:soldier   +00  +01  +3 +00     WIS
+00 = Ride                    +01  +00  +0 +00  -1 DEX
+00 = Sense Motive()          +00  +00  +0 +00     WIS
+na = Sleight of Hand()^      +01  +00  +0 +00  -1 DEX
+na = Spellcraft^             -01  +00  +0 +00     INT
+04 = Stealth()               +01  +01  +3 +00  -1 DEX
+05 = Survival()              +00  +01  +3 +01     WIS
+07 = Swim()                  +04  +01  +3 +00  -1 STR
+na = Use Magic Device()^     +01  +00  +0 +00     CHA

*STR/CHA modifiers added to Intimidate
-
[/sblock]
[sblock=Equipment]
Code:
Equipment                           Cost    Weight
studded leather                     25gp     20lbs
guantlet, spiked                     5gp      1lb
morningstar                          8gp      6lb
spear                                2gp      6lb
dagger                               2gp      1lb
Backpack                             2gp      2lbs
-bedroll                            .5gp      5lbs
-trail rations(6 days)               3gp      6lbs
-waterskin                           1gp      4lbs     
-torches(3)                        .03gp      3lbs
-thurible                           50gp      3lbs
-common herbs(3 uses)               .6gp      -lb
-cooking kit                         1gp      1lb
-stove can                          10gp      1lb
Belt Pouch                           1gp     .5lb
-flint and steel                     1gp      -lb
-whetstone                         .02gp      1lb
-potion:stabilize                   25gp      -lb
Traveler's Outfit                    0gp      -lb

Total weight carried:  60.5lbs

Total GP spent: 137.15gp

Treasure:
GP: 2
SP: 8
CP: 5
Gems: none

Carrying Capacity:
Code:
Load        Normal
light:    000-100 lbs
medium:   101-200 lbs
heavy:    201-300 lbs
[/sblock]
[sblock=Details]
Size: medium
Weight: 245lbs
Hair Color: diry brown
Eye Color: brown
Skin Color: light
Appearance:
Demeanor:[/sblock]
[sblock=Background]...[/sblock]
[sblock=Adventure Notes] None yet[/sblock]
[sblock=Level Ups]
Level ??
Class:
BAB: +0 to +0
Fort: +0 to +0
Ref: +0 to +0
Will: +0 to +0
Feat:
Class Features:
HP: +?? = (1d?? - 2 = ?) + 0 [CON] + ?? (Old Total) = ?? (new total)
Skill Ranks: +?? = +?? (Class) + 0 (misc) + ?? (Old Total) = ?? (new total)
Skills:
Favored Class Bonus:[/sblock][/sblock]

Rune

Once A Fool
[MENTION=2205]Hobo[/MENTION]: I just edited Roderick to include the feat bonuses to his skills that I had left out.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Not quite done yet but nearly there...

[size=+1]Lano[/size]
Human Rogue (Spy) 1
N Medium humanoid (human)
Init: +1; Senses Perception +6
[sblock=Mechanics]
DEFENSE
AC 11, touch 11, flat-footed 10 (+1 Dex)
hp 9 (1d8+1 (FC)) (max @ 1st, half +1 thereafter)
Fort +0 (0 (base) +0 (Con))
Ref +3 (2 (base) +1 (Dex))
Will +2 (0 (base) +2 (Wis))

OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft.
Attacks
Dagger +1 (1d4+1 19-20/ x2) 10 ft. range
Unarmed +1 (1d3+1 20/x2)

STATISTICS
Str: 12 +1
Dex: 13 +1
Con: 10 +0
Int: 10 +0 (+2 misc)
Wis: 14 +2
Cha: 18 +4 (+1 misc, +2 race)

Base Atk. +0
Traits Dirty Fighter (combat, +1 dmg when flanking), Canter (social, +5 bonus for secret messages)
Feats Deceitful (H), Improved Unarmed Strike (1)
Skills
Skill Points: 9 = [Base (8) + human (1)/Level]
Acrobatics +5 (1 rank, +3 (CS) +1 (Dex))
Bluff +11 (1 rank, +3 (CS) +4 (Cha) +2 (feat) +1* (Liar, see below))
Disguise +10 (1 rank, +3 (CS) +4 (Cha) +2 (feat))
Perception +6 (1 rank, +3 (CS) +2 (Wis))
Perform (any) +4 (0 ranks, +4 (Cha))
Profession (Cicisbeo (male courtesan)) +6 (1 rank, +3 (CS) +2 (Wis))
Sense Motive +6 (1 rank, +3 (CS) +2 (Wis))
Sleight of Hand +5 (1 rank, +3 (CS) +1 (Dex))
Stealth +5 (1 rank, +3 (CS) +1 Dex))
Use Magic Device +8 (1 rank, +3 (CS) +4 (Cha))
Languages Terrasan, North Terrasan

RACIAL TRAITS
Human
Favored Class: Rogue

CLASS ABILITIES
Rogue
Armor/Weapons: Light armor; Simple weapons plus hand crossbow, rapier, sap, shortbow, short sword.
Sneak Attack +1d6
Skilled Liar* (Ex): + ½ rogue level to deceive (Bluff) but not feint or passing secret messages.

WEALTH
PP: 6 GP: 12 SP: 9 CP: 00

EQUIPMENT
Dagger 2 gp / 1 lb.
Traveler's Outfit 1 gp / -- lbs. (currently worn)
Belt pouch 1 gp / .5 lbs.
Lute (common) 5 gp / 3 lbs.
Chest 2 gp / 25 lbs. (stored)
-Artisan's Outfit 1 gp / 4 lbs.
-Cleric's Vestments 5 gp / 6 lbs.
-Wooden holy symbol 1 gp / --
-Explorer's Outfit -- / 8 lbs.
-Peasant's Outfit .1 gp / 2 lbs.
-Scholar's Outfit 5 gp / 6 lbs.
-Studded leather armor 25 gp / 20 lbs.
-Light steel shield 9 gp / 6 lbs.
-Short sword 10 gp / 2 lbs.

Total Weight: 00 lb

Max Weight: 0-43 (light); 44-86 (medium); 87-130 (heavy)
[/sblock]

He was Porcellana to the Mother of the Gabia d’Ocell, ‘Lanetto to the ladies of the house, ‘Lano to his younger half-brother. Porcelain to his half-brother’s Brick, he was the precocious darling of the house, favored, pampered, and played with like a living porcelain doll that could have any face painted on and dressed to take on any role. When he got a little older he was trained to entertain those nobles from the Empire who came to Porto Liure seeking illicit pleasures of a certain, unusual bent.

This was the only life Lano knew until a short-lived war between an upstart gang and the established criminal enterprise that owned the Gabia d’Ocell ended with the Gabia burning and Lano and Brick escaping to the streets. Life on the streets of Porto Liure was particularly hard for Lano and the two brothers eventually stowed away on a ship headed to the Empire. In the Empire the two roamed from town to town, lived in the woods briefly (Lano hated it), fell in with bandits, and ran away from any problems they encountered. Brick did a short stint in a city militia and when Lano finally learned that the best disguise was one that didn’t call attention to oneself he dragged Brick back to Porto Liure.

Lano immediately began planning small cons and thefts…

Recently returned to Porto Liure after a few years abroad, Lano immediately began looking for marks and that edge that could set him and Brick up for life, or at least a month or two while he looked for the next bit of work. Hitting the streets and bars of the city Lano has picked up a few unusual rumors concerning the Fuzeta da Ponte family, hidden pirate treasure and the nearby village of Bara Gairo. Shoving his meager possessions into a bag and collecting his brother Lano books passage for Bara Gairo.

Last edited:

No problem. Hope you have a good time. The three "vacations" I took this summer were 1) a family reunion with my in-laws, 2) chaperoning a camping trip with my teenaged son and a bunch of other kids his age, and 3) manning the fort at home while my wife was in the hospital with my daughter, who was having spinal fusion surgery.

While none of them were terrible, of course, and 1) and 2) were occasionally quite fun, none of them were how I would have chosen to spend my time off of work. :\ Luckily, I've got enough seniority at work now to still have another full week's worth of vacation to spend. Plus, we're not all that far away from "big holiday" season, where I get election day, deer hunting day (I mean, uh, veteran's day), Thanksgiving, and all of the time between Christmas Eve and New Year's Day off. Add a week to that, and I might yet get some time to relax this year after all...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases