All Rogues Game: Wretched Hive of Scum & Villainy

GlassEye

Adventurer
I'm wondering about the usefulness of Use Magic Device. Is it something that will actually see some use? I've seen a few posts from you in other threads, Hobo, about your preference for low-magic, gritty settings (and you probably mentioned it earlier in this one). If it is not something likely to come up then I'd most likely change that skill out for something else.

Given that there aren't any spellcasters in the group, if anything it might be more useful than otherwise.

But I'm glad that you specifically pointed out to me that you took it. I'll make sure and give it some use, then, if you decide you want to keep it.

I do prefer low magic, but I don't like no magic. With everyone having to be members of the rogue class, since that was the whole concept behind this game in the first place, it'll be a no-magic game without that. I can get some scrolls, or wands, or other magic items in your hands if you want to use them, though.

GlassEye

Adventurer
You don't have to do anything special. I guess I was looking for the clarification on whether this was low magic or no magic. Now I've got that straight I have to decide whether UMD or Escape Artist fits my concept better. For some reason I like the idea of Escape Artist and feels it kinda goes along with Lano's perspective but UMD would allow him greater options for disguises by giving him the possibility of disguising himself as a minor spellcaster. I think I'll stick with UMD. By the way, last I looked Rune's character also had UMD; don't remember if any of the others selected that skill or not.

Another question, more along a setting style than character building but it will affect my final character choices. I currently have Improved Unarmed Strike for Lano. Is that an acceptable choice for the setting? I'm also considering a style feat further down the road. If it is an acceptable option is there a group that I should mention in Lano's backstory? If unarmed martial arts don't fit in the setting I'll be more than happy to select another feat.

GlassEye

Adventurer
I've never thought much about the disguise skill before but with this character I've been reading it over again to review and familiarize myself with it. I'm kinda curious, what qualifies as a disguise that changes 'minor details only'? Would it be a disguise that doesn't include one of the other items on the chart, i.e. gender, race, age, & size? (If this thinking is too rules-y I'll just not worry about it.)

Another question, more along a setting style than character building but it will affect my final character choices. I currently have Improved Unarmed Strike for Lano. Is that an acceptable choice for the setting? I'm also considering a style feat further down the road. If it is an acceptable option is there a group that I should mention in Lano's backstory? If unarmed martial arts don't fit in the setting I'll be more than happy to select another feat.
I have no problem with unarmed martial arts. They may not be specifically kung-fu like in derivation, but even then, they could be. There's a nation off to the southwest in the setting, which I haven't really told y'all much about because it's likely to be irrelevent to this particular game, but they could be the source of martial arts traditions that are specifically "Hong Kong movie" style martial arts.

Otherwise, I certainly envision Jason Bourne like unarmed fighting fits in already without being very specifically Asian in execution.
I've never thought much about the disguise skill before but with this character I've been reading it over again to review and familiarize myself with it. I'm kinda curious, what qualifies as a disguise that changes 'minor details only'? Would it be a disguise that doesn't include one of the other items on the chart, i.e. gender, race, age, & size? (If this thinking is too rules-y I'll just not worry about it.)
I'd say your interpretation is more likely what I would agree with.

For those of your with UMD, let me know specifically what kind of magic you are interested in chasing after, and I'll make sure to accomodate that desire (in one way or another) as the campaign progresses.

I also hadn't really noticed until I re-read all of the Rogue archetypes, extra Rogue Abilities and whatnot that Pathfinder have expanded the class with, but there are three abilities that are very Gray Mouser arcane training in derivation; you can get 0 and 1st level spells as a class ability, and a familiar!

GlassEye

Adventurer
For martial arts I was thinking more of avoidance techniques and dirty punches rather than full bore Asian kung-fu so that works perfectly for me.

Kaodi

Hero
Amaline has UMD too. I am not too concerned about how much use is made of it (it is only one skill among many for her), but even though it is a charisma-based skill (and charisma is her weakest stat), I thought it was an obvious choice for someone as smart as her to have some understanding of.

kinem

Adventurer
Stephano was working dockside this evening. He was loosely allied with the Fuzeta da Pontes (meaning that he could also work independently) and wanted to keep it that way, so when Carlo asked him to pull this job, he didn't hesitate or ask too many questions.

He used his one minor magical talent, so that he Carlo could communicate at a distance with whispered messages. Carlo knew what the mark looked like, but the mark also knew him. So when Carlo whispered from his hiding place "It's him. Rico. Guy with the red hat", Stephano began to make his way toward the mark.

The man he was following looked wealthy enough, with a fine leather outfit, rapier, and that jaunty hat. But Carlo's instructions were clear: He was to steal a sealed scroll and nothing else. He must not open the scroll, or else.

Rico was walking quickly, so Stephano could do little but follow. Rico went straight to the dock and onto a ship! Stephano hesitated, but knew he had to follow. He paid the last of his gold for passage on the ship. Only later did he find out that the ship was headed to nearby Gara Bairo, much to his relief.

It wouldn't do to make his move during the trip, since if the mark missed his scroll, the passengers would surely be searched.

Stephano's eye was drawn to a young lady on board. With nothing better to do, he struck up a conversation, using his sleight of hand skills to perform a couple of fake magic tricks. Sarah was friendly and laughed readily.

By the time the ship docked, Stephano was hardly thinking about the job, but he forced himself to get his head back in the game. With an 'accidental' brush against Rico as the passengers disembarked, he had the scroll.

He turned back to Sarah, hoping to turn this chance encounter into something more. "Good bye!" she told him, laughing and embracing the tall blond man who had come to the dock to greet her.

He sighed. In the morning, he'd have to book passage back to Porto Liure. In the meantime, he'd have to find the cash to do it with. He began to eye the people around him, looking for an easy mark.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases