More Than a Shaggy Person

Yesterday, James covered minotaurs in his Wandering Monsters column. Today, Jon will go over the minotaur, too. Or, to be more accurate, youâ??ll help Jon go over the minotaur and how it develops in terms of visual look and feel for D&D Next.

Read More Than a Shaggy Person on D&D Insider here!

Tovec

Explorer
I like this new format, though I have to admit the last question stumped me. I don't know which form I prefer: Breasts/Udders?

All my answers, still unsure about the final question so far left unanswered, were answered as 'more cow than man' and certainly more cow than hairy feral cow if that makes any sense.

Where do you range?

Klaus

First Post
Back in 2000, before 3e came out, I made this picture, which sums up my preference:

[sblock]
minotaur.jpg

[/sblock]

Human legs, hooved feet (hooves in place of toes), cow hair, no tail, human-like breasts on females.

Kinak

First Post
I think it's interesting how the hooves vs. feet question is basically a "monster-only race vs. playable race?"

In any case, there's no reason they can't have some variation in their appearance.

I'd personally prefer something like this:
First-Generation (cursed/blessed) minotaurs are Large and have cloven hooves.
Later generation (playable) minotaurs are Medium and have human feet.
Female minotaurs are rare and exclusively later generation.

Cheers!
Kinak

Tovec

Explorer
I think it's interesting how the hooves vs. feet question is basically a "monster-only race vs. playable race?"

In any case, there's no reason they can't have some variation in their appearance.

I'd personally prefer something like this:
First-Generation (cursed/blessed) minotaurs are Large and have cloven hooves.
Later generation (playable) minotaurs are Medium and have human feet.
Female minotaurs are rare and exclusively later generation.

Cheers!
Kinak

I don't really disagree, but how do you get later generations without females? Do minotaurs spawn through mitosis?

Kinak

First Post
I don't really disagree, but how do you get later generations without females? Do minotaurs spawn through mitosis?
Heh, I should have spoken to that specifically. I figured they would be able to breed with whatever race they were before the transformation, passing on the curse/blessing to a new generation.

Cheers!
Kinak

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Minotaur status is something inflicted on someone in my view.

Because of that, keeping the body essentially human (though perhaps super-buff and hairy) is key for that dissonance. Keep them mostly human. Human feet. Human hands. Human flesh.

Then cram a bull onto its shoulders.

It is fine if it is awkward and weird-looking and dissonant. It's a created monster, a being Not Meant To Be. It should look degenerate and uncomfortable in its own skin -- and hungering after flesh like an instinct.

This doesn't mean it has to be one way or another.

Krynn minotaurs and yak-folk are different things and they don't need to fit that mode (PC minotaurs and yak-folk have their own looks: Krynnish minotaurs are proud noble warrior people, yak-folk are wealthy and proud and civilized).

I don't think the minotaur should necessarily be male, either. It's about time D&D got the heck away from gendered monsters (in most instances).

I don't think the minotaur should necessarily be male, either. It's about time D&D got the heck away from gendered monsters (in most instances).

The problem with female minotaurs as monsters is that cows, in general, are not scary. Bulls are fine, since they have the horns and all, but cows? You'll end up with adventures such as The Night of Udder Terror and Vanished with Dairy a Trace.

As a race, gender inclusiveness is fine, but if you want to use a mythological monster, use a mythological monster("you" in this case meaning WotC, not you the DM, who can do whatever you please). There are plenty of female monsters out there already.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases