+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Stacie GmrGrl

Anyone check out Radiance RPG yet?

At Radiance RPG is a link to the free Radiance Player's Guide rpg, written by a guy who makes a living from writing/selling college textbooks (I think).

Anyways, the PDF is actually free and the hardback is like $15 so I figured that after checking it out myself and finding a lot of goodness in it, it's worth the looksie.

It's a d20 variant with 24 races, 30 classes, has 16 themes, deities that provide boons, and incorporates different types of technology, one called electrotech. Also, has No Feats, No massive Spells lists, and it's combat chapter is only 8 pages. The book is 286 pages.

It looks like a mold of 3.x and 4e with it's own unique spins on a few things.

I love it, and I have finally found a d20 game that surpasses Fantasy Craft. I wanted to share the love with all of you.

This game even has a blurb for classless play.
    "Cthulhu made me do it. Sorry." ~ by me.

Lama (Lvl 13)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore TwoSix
    Yep, started reading it yesterday.

Have to say, I like it quite a bit. Still digging, but the crunch is thick without being clogging, which I enjoy.

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Huntington Beach, California, United States
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Dragonbait
    I'm looking it over and I'm really liking what I'm seeing!
    <Pretentious, poorly spelled, and poorly worded saying goes here>

Stacie GmrGrl, thanks for posting here!

As the author, I am happy to answer any questions.

The download page with the free Players Guide and Monster Folio is here:
    Radiance RPG

Announcements, preview material, and such are here:
    www.Facebook.com/RadianceRPG

Aasimar Aardvark COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    PlanescapeCircvs MaximvsGygax Memorial Fund

Ignore TarionzCousin
    My PC has been attempting to download the free Players Guide for the past two hours. It gets stuck and needs to be nudged forward.
    Rose City Regulars - ENWorld Gamers in and around Portland, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by TarionzCousin View Post
    My PC has been attempting to download the free Players Guide for the past two hours. It gets stuck and needs to be nudged forward.

I just downloaded it in the usual time (30 seconds?) Thank you for reporting this in case GoDaddy (my host service) has the same problems it did earlier in the week when all of its sites went down! If you are ultimately unable to get it, I can use YouSendIt to get you a copy when I'm back home.

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Stacie GmrGrl
    Quote Originally Posted by AncientSpirits View Post
    Stacie GmrGrl, thanks for posting here!

As the author, I am happy to answer any questions.

The download page with the free Players Guide and Monster Folio is here:
    Radiance RPG

Announcements, preview material, and such are here:
    www.Facebook.com/RadianceRPG
    No problem AncientSpirits... I felt this game needed more love because it deserves it. IMO this is the game D&DNext should strive to become... this is my favorite d20 game now.

Can't wait for the Radiance Expansion Kit in December.
    "Cthulhu made me do it. Sorry." ~ by me.

Greetings all. This is my first post on ENworld (though I've been reading, researching, here for awhile). I started playing rpg's when I was in grade-school in the early 80's. After high-school I got away from it for many years, but this year I started up again with some buddies from work. I've been playing C&C, pathfinder, 4e, and d20 future.

Lately, I've just started getting into Radiance with my gaming group and everyone seems to really enjoy it. Our GM has been looking for a decent d20-style steampunk game for years, until I turned him onto this game. The information and art in the book is top notch, the price of materials is excellent (already ordered a PHB). Personally, I think it's brilliant marketing to release free PDF's. Most gamers I know these days would rather "try-before-buy" so, I do appreciate their strategy.

Looking forward to checking out the Master's Guide and other expansions when they are released!
    Last edited by Robyo; Sunday, 16th September, 2012 at 03:01 PM.

Novice (Lvl 1)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Option
    Wow, this is a great game packed with good stuff.

If the author is still watching over this thread, I did have a couple of question come up while reading the creature info that starts on page 245. Specifically, when looking at a creature's stats, do the skill bonus values already include the bonuses from attributes and abilities? For example, if an Ergo (lvl 1) makes an endurance check does he get a +13 to his roll or is it +21 (+13 skill +3 Attribute + 5 Base Ability)?

Also, can you give an example of what kind of situation would call for the characters to roll against the monster's generic DC? Is that just for Lore and Bypass checks?

Oh, that just brought up one more question. Is Dungeoneering the only skill used to learn things about monsters?
    Last edited by Option; Monday, 17th December, 2012 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Option View Post
    Wow, this is a great game packed with good stuff.

If the author is still watching over this thread, I did have a couple of question come up while reading the creature info that starts on page 245. Specifically, when looking at a creature's stats, do the skill bonus values already include the bonuses from attributes and abilities? For example, if an Ergo (lvl 1) makes an endurance check does he get a +13 to his roll or is it +21 (+13 skill +3 Attribute + 5 Base Ability)?

Also, can you give an example of what kind of situation would call for the characters to roll against the monster's generic DC? Is that just for Lore and Bypass checks?

Oh, that just brought up one more question. Is Dungeoneering the only skill used to learn things about monsters?
    Hi Option!
    I'm watching :-)

For creature stats, the skills listed include all possible bonuses.

Besides Lore and Bypass, a PC might try an unusual action not covered by the rules, including non-combat actions. Players can be very inventive sometimes! That said, skill checks tend to cover most actions.

Dungeoneering is mostly good for generic information, that dragons fly, aberrations have mental powers, devils use infernal contracts, and so forth.

Certainly, when attempting a lore check, a GM is free to ask or let a PC try Arcana, Dungeoneering, History, Nature or Religion (or conceivably other skills) in lieu of d20 + 2*level. It's pretty contextual to what the PC is asking about.

The standard lore check reveals 3 specific statistics from a creature's stat block, such as "DR 4" or "Damage +6". Skill checks don't normally give that much detail as seasoned adventurers are the ones who tend to recognize these things from experience.

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast