Anyone check out Radiance RPG yet?

Khaalis

Adventurer
You can use the design points to progress just as you've suggested, though you may want to adjust some of the values in light of the design point breakdown above.
Heh, sorry if I'm being dense, but I want to make sure I am grasping this correctly.

Ok, assuming that my assumption is correct that each Challenge is worth -2 DP, and with the DP you show for the Abilities, I would thus be able to revise this template by removing 2 Challenges and only 1 Ability, Immortal (worth 4 DP). Is that correct?

If so, then for my revised use of the template from "Werewolf" monster class to "Lycan Paragon" racial class, I would end up with:
1 - Feral Senses, Scent, Jump, Resist Cold / Weak with Silver -- [4P/1C; DP=3]
2 - Grapple, Wolf Form, Wolf Skills / Bound by Silver -- [3P/1C; DP=4]
3 - Animal Magnetism, Expert Trip, Werewolf Prowess, Wolf Empathy / Strange Attraction -- [4P/1C; DP=4]
4 - Mystic Ritual, Hybrid Form --- [2P; DP=9]

A somewhat steady progression of Abilities over the 4 levels and a growing level of Design Points distributed out over the levels, making higher levels more worth attaining and the highest "value" ability at the 4th level slot.

I really like the math structure of the DP behind the construction. It really helps maintain a certain level of balance.

AncientSpirits

First Post
Heh, sorry if I'm being dense, but I want to make sure I am grasping this correctly.

Ok, assuming that my assumption is correct that each Challenge is worth -2 DP, and with the DP you show for the Abilities, I would thus be able to revise this template by removing 2 Challenges and only 1 Ability, Immortal (worth 4 DP). Is that correct?

If so, then for my revised use of the template from "Werewolf" monster class to "Lycan Paragon" racial class, I would end up with:
1 - Feral Senses, Scent, Jump, Resist Cold / Weak with Silver -- [4P/1C; DP=3]
2 - Grapple, Wolf Form, Wolf Skills / Bound by Silver -- [3P/1C; DP=4]
3 - Animal Magnetism, Expert Trip, Werewolf Prowess, Wolf Empathy / Strange Attraction -- [4P/1C; DP=4]
4 - Mystic Ritual, Hybrid Form --- [2P; DP=9]

A somewhat steady progression of Abilities over the 4 levels and a growing level of Design Points distributed out over the levels, making higher levels more worth attaining and the highest "value" ability at the 4th level slot.

I really like the math structure of the DP behind the construction. It really helps maintain a certain level of balance.

In this case, coincidentally, each challenge is worth -2 design points (though I'm traveling and going from memory). While some them -- bound by silver and weak with silver -- might seem less problematic, the introduction to the immortals section (not posted here) -- makes it fairly easy for NPCs for figure out an immortal's nature, and most townies know the typical weaknesses of vampires, werewolves, etc. So I see them as balanced if played that way.

As for a non-flat progression, I'd never thought of this. Typically, I offer 5 design points per level and then keep the cool stuff until the end. But, this is an interesting way to goad a PC into pursing the "class" until its conclusion without actually making that mandatory (which is what I think was typical in 3.5 and what I'd tentatively decided on). Interesting idea!

AncientSpirits

First Post
How will spend your Downtime in your Radiance RPG campaign?

The Radiance Expansion Kit will, of course, come with "kits". Inspired by 2nd edition, a PC can take a kit during "downtime" between adventures before, during, and/or after his or her career. Here are the current kits:

Ardent Investigator
College Graduate
Community Shepherd
Darklands Dweller
Dissolute Gambler
Family Guardian
Fine Craftsperson
Hardened Inmate
Iron Homesteader
Intrepid Traveler
Monastic Disciple
Racial Exemplar
Risen Quester
Spell Researcher
Stalwart Veteran
Technics Engineer
Tough Gladiator
Urban Sophisticate
Venture Capitalist
Wilderness Survivor

A kit advances the PC a level, with added vitality, attack roll, and defenses, and grants a level's worth of benefits. Almost always, a kit is limited to non-magical benefits geared toward non-combat situations -- to get magic and combat prowess, go adventuring! Nonetheless, a campaign that builds in the use of kits allows PCs to grow more organically over several years, or even a decade, building a business, acquiring a family, getting a college degree, or perhaps honing survival skills in the Cavelands or a prison yard.

College Graduate (INT)
You attended a rigorous school of arts and letters.
Academic Specialty: You enjoy a +3 bonus on checks using any 3 skills based on Intelligence. Select those skills when taking this ability.
College Prestige: You are known among other college graduates. Whenever you encounter someone who attended your college or any other college, apply a modifier on all skill checks with him equal to +2d6-5. Thus, you will usually gain a small bonus, sometimes enjoy a large bonus, and occasionally suffer a small penalty due to an inter-college rivalry, bias, or disagreement over theories. The chance that a townie you meet attended a college is 10% in urban areas, 2% in rural civilized areas, and 1% anywhere else.
Elocution: Boost Literacy checks by +5, or by +10 once daily.
Thesis: You completed college with in-depth study of a very narrow topic. Select a specific person, location, or object such as Count Morgai, the Platimus Blade, or the Flying Mountains. You enjoy a +20 bonus on Intelligence-based skill checks regarding this topic, or a +5 bonus on all other skill checks regarding it.

Family Guardian (Wis)
You obtain a house, marry, and start a family.
Family Skills: You enjoy a +2 bonus on Craft, Diplomacy, Endurance, Heal, and Mechanics checks.
Home Owner: You gain 2,500 gp worth of property, or you may improve an existing property you own by that amount.
Spouse: You gain a spouse, typically a person of your age bracket, alignment, race, religion, and nationality—1 of which may vary notably—whose level equals 2 less than your own. Select his profession from among 3 randomly determined options and advance him as needed (RPG, page 259). Comeliness equals +2 above normal for his race if you are level 5+. He starts as helpful to you (RPG, page 232). The chance of a child within the first year equals 70%, plus 20% each year thereafter. If the union cannot result in children, they may be adopted. You enjoy a +5 bonus on skill checks involving your spouse. At years 4, 7, 14, and 20, check for 1 in 8 chance of failure (thus, 50% chance of failure over 20 years). If allowed, a failed marriage results in divorce. If you divorce or the spouse dies, another spouse comes to you after 1d4 years. The cost of upkeep equals 15 gp weekly for your spouse + 5 gp per child, beyond your own upkeep; failure to provide support after 3 months is grounds for a failure check and/or an orphanage for the children.

Venture Capitalist (Int)
You seek to make a fortune on risky investments.
Capital: You have 1,000 gp in coins, gems, and other easily convertible wealth.
Capitalist Skills: You enjoy a +2 bonus on Appraise, Bluff, Diplomacy, Literacy and Nobility checks.
Merchant Network: You can trade legal items not found in your local area in 2d4 days when you pay a 10% transaction fee.
Trust the Market: Up to 1/day, you may spend 1 hour to invest in a promising business. You can invest up to the limit indicated for a settlement’s size (RPG, page 153, under “GP Limits”). Thus, you can invest upto 50 gp at an output or upto 5,000 gp in the large town. Then roll 2d6: 2) Lose entire investment; 3-4) Lose 50%; 5-9) Lose 25%; 10) No profit or loss, getting back what you put; 11) Get back 2x your investment; and 12) Get back 8x your investment. Apply a +1 bonus if you succeed at both an Appraise check and a Diplomacy check and a -1 penalty if you fail both rolls. For each check, the DC equals 10 + 3d10. A new business provides returns after 3d4 weeks. Costs 2 vitality.

AncientSpirits

First Post
Here are 3 more kits:

Racial Exemplar (Cha)
You embody everything that makes your race special.
Bonus Racial Attributes: Add +2 to an attribute for which your race has a bonus, and apply -1 to an attribute where your race has a penalty. If your race does not have both an attribute bonus and an attribute penalty, add +1 to any single attribute.
Racial Gifts: You gain 3 racial abilities for which you qualify.
Role Model: You are somewhat famous and mostly well-liked among members of your race. You enjoy a +5 bonus on Diplomacy, Insight, Literacy, and Nobility checks involving your race and members of your race. Of course, your fame may invite members of your race to seek your help on hard tasks, and you may attract rivals.

Risen Quester (Con)
You died but have returned from the afterlife for a purpose.
Afterlife Insights: You experience flashbacks to your time in the afterlife. While usually inchoate, these occasionally inform the present. To use this ability, you may search your flashbacks for insight regarding an immediate choice you face such as whether to open a chest or enter a room. You receive an answer of weal (good fortune), woe (bad fortune), or unclear (mixed fortune). The chance you receive an answer equals 70% + 1% per level. The answer is based on the likely outcome within the next 10 minutes. The process is tiring and costs 2 vitality.
Disturbing Dreams: On any day that you use Afterlife Insights, you suffer disturbing dreams that night and awaken with 3 fewer vitality points (min 1 vitality) the next day.
Quester Skills: Boost Insight, Perception, and Religion checks by +3.
Soul in the Balance: Due to your disturbing flashbacks and dreams, you learn that your soul returned to the living for a reason. Roll 1d6: 1) Your soul did not arrive in the proper realm in the afterlife, 2) Deities are arguing over or betting on your soul, 3) Your deity has special plans for you, 4) You have unfinished business and asked to return to life, 5) Someone raised you from death for an unclear purpose, 6) Your return to life is a total mystery.
Stabilize: When reduced to negative wound points, you automatically stabilize. If you already have this ability then you gain +3 wound points instead.
Thrice ReviveM: Up to 3x in your career, when an attack would kill you, you may instead choose to fall to -1 wounds and stabilize as an immediate action. You must be conscious to benefit from this ability. If you died before gaining this ability and needed it to return to life, then you only have 2 remaining uses.

Spell Researcher (INT)
You dedicate yourself to intense study of magical arts.
Arcane Sage: Boost Arcana, History, and Literacy checks by +3.
Bonus Spells: You learn any 2 basic magic abilities or 1 intermediate magic ability of your choice, all drawn from the same class, which may be any class, for which you qualify.
Spell Thesis: Select 1 specific basic or intermediate magic ability you know. Up to 5x daily, up to 1/round, when you use the spell, you may improve it 1 of 10 ways: 1) Treat your level as 2 levels higher, 2) Apply a +2 bonus on your attack roll, 3) Improve its casting time from a standard action to a move action, 4) Double its duration (max 24 hours), 5) Double its range, 6) Double its area of effect, 7) Activate it without an implement, 8) Activate it with 0 vitality cost, 9) Exclude a single 5-ft cube from the area of effect, or 10) Activate it as an immediate action to negate use of the same spell by someone within 30 ft. The chance your improvement succeeds in combat equals 70% + 2% per level. The improvement costs +2 vitality.

Khaalis

Adventurer
[MENTION=55778]AncientSpirits[/MENTION]

I like where the kits are going.

I really like the Racial Exemplar. I've used the concept as both Feat and PrC in other d20 systems. This works quite well.

Side note... is it a design choice to reprint an existing ability in whole? Is it part of the "just print the page you need" philosophy even though the kits are very short in comparison to other aspects? Just curious since when I read "Afterlight Insight" its the same as the cleric's "Augury. BTW, I am surprised to see Augury as an Intermediate power. What was your design thinking on that one?

Is "Disturbing Dreams" an effect that happens every day? Why not simply reduce maximum Vitality by 2? As it stands this is a bit fiddly with bookkeeping as you have to calculate your Vitality each day. Also, does this take effect before or after the effects of rest and Vitality restoration such as Calfrass root? Can other typical vitality gain like Revitalization or Courtesans be used after the loss?

Is "Soul in the Balance" just an RP 'ability'? I like this. I wouldn't mind seeing more entries like this, where there is a random element (or choice) that pertains to the kit (or race, class, etc.). It seems to give a new dimension to the character and not all characters of the same element will have the same RP aspect.

On "Thrice Revive", being still unfamiliar with all of the game, are there any other abilities that have a tracking mechanic like this? Its seems rather odd to have a permanent 3 time only ability. Granted I'm not sure how else to limit it.

AncientSpirits

First Post
@AncientSpirits

I like where the kits are going.

I really like the Racial Exemplar. I've used the concept as both Feat and PrC in other d20 systems. This works quite well.

Glad to hear. The goal is to make downtime more enticing and meaningful so that a campaign can run over a decade or more of game time, see characters raise families, expand their holdings, etc. The next campaign I run will, from the start, explicitly incorporate kits. PCs can take the kits multiple times, though the duration can get long, so ideally there's some agreement and thought about when to give downtime.

Side note... is it a design choice to reprint an existing ability in whole? Is it part of the "just print the page you need" philosophy even though the kits are very short in comparison to other aspects? Just curious since when I read "Afterlight Insight" its the same as the cleric's "Augury. BTW, I am surprised to see Augury as an Intermediate power. What was your design thinking on that one?

Yes, all abilities are always reprinted in whole for ease of reference during play, the exact opposite of Pathfinder in that regard.

Afterlife Insights differs in one major respect from Augury: It's nonmagical. The person is recalling events from his or her past, and while those events were magical, the act of remembering is not. So there are situations where the ability might play out differently, not be augmentable, etc.

Augury is intermediate tier because it is a level 2 spell in d20. Spells of level 2 and 3 are, almost always, intermediate tier in Radiance. (Psionic Blast is an example of an exception, coming in as advanced tier, because it should probably be a level 4 psionic ability in d20, IMO.)

Is "Disturbing Dreams" an effect that happens every day? Why not simply reduce maximum Vitality by 2? As it stands this is a bit fiddly with bookkeeping as you have to calculate your Vitality each day. Also, does this take effect before or after the effects of rest and Vitality restoration such as Calfrass root? Can other typical vitality gain like Revitalization or Courtesans be used after the loss?

Disturbing Dreams only occurs when the character has used Afterlife Insights, whether once or multiple times. There are several reasons it's not folded in to Afterlife Insights:
-- It is a hindrance (-1 design points) to offset the fact that this kit has 6 design points worth of benefits rather than the usual 5.
-- The abilities Miracle and Wish that can remove hindrances like this, so why not stat it out separately to let the PC (or NPC) strive for that?
-- It's -3 vitality because for 1 design point a character can get +3 vitality.

I admit it's a tad fiddly. The description says "you awaken with 3 fewer vitality points". So the penalty is applied after all other healing, etc.

Is "Soul in the Balance" just an RP 'ability'? I like this. I wouldn't mind seeing more entries like this, where there is a random element (or choice) that pertains to the kit (or race, class, etc.). It seems to give a new dimension to the character and not all characters of the same element will have the same RP aspect.

Yes, it's for RP. Thank you for the suggestion to have more of these. There's space in the book, so why not, right! It might encourage more role-play rather than just seeing a kit for its benefits. It could be fun too to come up with a similar flavor piece for each kit, without hindering GM prerogative and player creativity of course.

On "Thrice Revive", being still unfamiliar with all of the game, are there any other abilities that have a tracking mechanic like this? Its seems rather odd to have a permanent 3 time only ability. Granted I'm not sure how else to limit it.

Yes, the rakasha ability Nine Lives (RPG, page 33) works the same way. It's a racial ability, which means it would normally be basic tier (1 design point), but I wanted to give the rakasha something extra special, and it's not like anyone but a rakasha can take it anyway. It's sort of like how a kobold can take Dodge.

Last edited:

AncientSpirits

First Post
You've got a year: Do you plow and herd on a big parcel of "free" land as a homesteader, meditate and study at a church, or retreat into the wilderness for simple living with animal friends? Here are 3 more kits for Radiance RPG.

Iron Homesteader (Con)
You manage a farm, which takes much work and knowledge.
Farming Lore: Boost Nature checks by +5, or by +10 involves agriculture.
Homestead: You gain 2,5000 gp worth of farm property, which might include a vineyard (worth 1,000 gp), a stable (1,000 gp), and live stock consisting of either 50 cows (500 gp) or 250 sheep (500 gp). See RPG, pages 165 and 171 for details. If you already have a farm, simply add 2,500 in value to it. Otherwise, consider this either a land grant that you gain for free so long as you developed it or a land you purchased after turning on a profit on an initial investment of some other kind.
Homesteader Skills: You enjoy a +3 bonus on Athletics, Craft, Endurance, Handle Animal, Heal, and Mechanics checks.

Monastic Disciple (Wis)
You devote yourself to deepening your faith.
Ardent Aura: Your fellow faithful know you well. Whenever you meet someone who shares your alignment, deity or religion, apply a modifier on all skill checks with him equal to +2d6-5. Thus, you usually gain a small bonus, sometimes enjoy a large bonus, and occasionally suffer a penalty due to a rivalry, bias, or disagreement over doctrine. If you change deities, the modifier applies to the new deity and changes to -2d6+5 for faithful of your old deity.
Bonus Faith Points: At each new level or new year, you gain 2 bonus faith points (RPG, page 129).
Divine Lore: Boost Religion checks by +5, or by +10 regarding your deity. This bonus does not apply to any future deity.
God’s Gift: You permanently know 1 basic boon of your deity for which you quality. The gift changes if you change deities.
Monastic Skills: You enjoy a +2 bonus on Craft, Heal, Insight, Music, and Religion checks.

Wilderness Survivor (Wis)
You thrive in the hardships of the great outdoors.
Animal Companion: You gain a healthy, young adult natural animal as a friendly, loyal companion. Its level equals 2 less than your own (min 1, max 10). You enjoy a +10 bonus on Handle Animal checks when interacting with it. When not in its native terrain, feeding it has a daily cost of 1 cp for Tiny animals, 1 sp for Small animals, and 1 gp, 5 gp, and 50 gp for Medium, Large, and Huge animals. The animal will do its best to scout, entertain others, defend you, take you to safely if you fall unconscious, and so forth, though it will not initiate combat and will retreat when it suffers wound damage. If you lose the animal, you attract a replacement after 1 month, or 3 days in a wilderness area.
Outdoor Skills: Boost Endurance, Handle Animal, and Nature checks by +3.
Nature Skills: Apply a +2 bonus on Acrobatics, Athletics, Craft, Heal, and Stealth checks.
Survivalist: Boost Survival checks by +5, or by +10 once daily.

Khaalis

Adventurer
A few quick typo/edits. Otherwise, they're looking good.

Farming Lore: Boost Nature checks by +5, or by +10 if involving agriculture.
Homestead: You gain 2,5000 gp worth of farm property, which might include a vineyard (worth 1,000 gp), a stable (1,000 gp), and live stock consisting of either 50 cows (500 gp) or 250 sheep (500 gp). See RPG, pages 165 and 171 for details. If you already have a farm, simply add 2,500 in value to it. Otherwise, consider this either a land grant that you gain for free so long as you developed it, or land you purchased after turning a profit on an initial investment of some other kind.

AncientSpirits

First Post
A few quick typo/edits. Otherwise, they're looking good.

Farming Lore: Boost Nature checks by +5, or by +10 if involving agriculture.
Homestead: You gain 2,5000 gp worth of farm property, which might include a vineyard (worth 1,000 gp), a stable (1,000 gp), and live stock consisting of either 50 cows (500 gp) or 250 sheep (500 gp). See RPG, pages 165 and 171 for details. If you already have a farm, simply add 2,500 in value to it. Otherwise, consider this either a land grant that you gain for free so long as you developed it, or land you purchased after turning a profit on an initial investment of some other kind.

Thanks Khaalis!

AncientSpirits

First Post
And yet 3 more kits, all nonmagical as usual, acquired during downtime to help embed the PC in the world.

Fine Craftsperson (Dex)
You spend your days creating fine wares.
Craft Speciality: Select 1 skill based on Dexterity, Intelligence or Wisdom such as Arcana, Literacy, Music, or Religion. You enjoy a +5 bonus on this skill, or a +10 bonus when crafting objects involving this skill, such as using Music to craft a musical instrument.
Crafter Skills: Boost Appraise, Craft, Insight, Mechanics, and Nobility checks by +2.
Expert Crafter: Boost Craft checks by +5, or by +10 1/day.
Upscale Shop: You own an upscale shop worth 2,000 gp (RPG, page 170) with 500 gp worth of appropriate goods within.

Stalwart Veteran (Str)
You enlist to serve as a soldier and see battle.
Military Award: You have earned a minor military commendation, rank, or veteran’s benefit. Your award grants a +5 bonus on Warcraft checks and a stipend of 25 gp per month, which is sufficient for common lodging and meals when you have no other means. Your military unit owns a single plain property where you may reside for free. You must have at least occasional contact with your unit to collect the stipend and use the property. Your award recognizes your past accomplishments and you can never lose it, though lack of contact or criminal acts may result in suspension of benefits. Finally, a veteran is generally well-received by other soldiers. You may make a Warcraft check in lieu of a Diplomacy check to gain temporarily lodging or simple favors from soldiers and other veterans.
Soldier Skills: Boost Athletics, Craft, Endurance, Heal, Nobility, and Pilot checks by +3.
Steady Defenses: Boost Fortitude and Will by +1.
Weapons Mastery: You have 2 options. Either you become proficient with Medium armor and 1 weapon group of your choice, or you gain a +1 bonus on attacks and +2 damage when using 1 specific weapon with which you are already proficient.

Urban Sophisticate (Cha)
You acclimate to city living and enjoy fine things.
Face About Town: You are known among the local populace. Whenever you encounter someone who lives within your area (5 square miles) or was born in that area, apply a modifier on all skill checks with him equal to +2d6-5. Thus, you will usually gain a small bonus, sometimes enjoy a large bonus, and occasionally suffer a small penalty due to a rivalry, bias, or rumormongering.
Friends: You gain a loose network of townie allies (each level 2) who live in your area (5 square miles). Their number equal ½ your level. You may substitute 3 townies for an alder. Determine their professions randomly. They are not followers, nor do they require upkeep. Instead, you enjoy a +5 bonus on all skill checks involving them. This stacks with Face About Town. Also, they each freely provide food and lodging for you + 1 ally for up to 1 week per month. If a friend dies or you cause him wound damage, you lose him, though another (typically an acquaintance) comes forward to replace him after 1 month assuming you remain in the same area.
Material Success: You gain 1,000 gp worth of non-weapon gear of your choice.
Street Savvy: Boost Streetwise by +5, or by +10 once daily.
Urban Skills: You enjoy a +2 bonus on Appraise, Craft, Diplomacy, Literacy, and Nobility checks.

Last edited:

Remove ads