Anyone check out Radiance RPG yet?

VanceMadrox

First Post
I'm happy to answer questions.

Think of the dhampir class as a "monster class" from the heyday of 3.5. Keep in mind a character can multiclass, switching into dhampir after being infected in some way by a vampire or by joining a vampiric faction (Blood Masquerade).

So why do it? The class meets a mechanical need that a race cannot because vampires are so powerful. A player comes to me and says, "I want to play a vampire" just as he might say, "I want to play a dragon" or "a werewolf". He or she wants to play Blade or Selene. How do I accommodate that as a GM beyond taking the question literally or offering something puny? There is a Pathfinder race called dhampir, but as a race it's limited and its abilities don't live up to its flavor text.

On this we'll just have to disagree then. To me it seems concrete that Dhampir is a race not a class. If racial abilities aren't powerful enough to model it then maybe you need rules for more powerful races in an expansion.

I personally don't think Vampries should be PCs in a standard D&Desque world anyway. I was never a fan of the monster classes in 3.5 either.

VanceMadrox

First Post
Davachido has answered this pretty well. The inspiration was the Sleep spell, which is 1st level. It's a little harder for your friends to restore you compared to sleep, but then you're still conscious. It's situation, and the -5 really puts a damper on longterm use.

Where I do agree there is a danger: A player who learns this and "fails to notice" the caveats (soft ground and -5) in the thick of play will produce a broken effect. It's important for the GM to know that the price for some of the more flavorful abilities is that one needs to remind players to use them as written :).

On this we agree at least. Were I running I'd also probably allow some form of check to potentially struggle out of it.

AncientSpirits

First Post
Do you realize that your version of the Wizard makes magical colleges pointless? It really destroys the traditional idea of the WIzard. The class has no mechanical way to acquire more spells/power by simple study or by collaborating with other wizards. As a result several standard fantasy tropes regarding wizards (like the magical college) simply just don't work.

Not sure if you're interested in a fix but it could be as simple as not letting spellbook access any ability but needing to colelct the abilities it has access too. This would require more book keeping though which seems to be against the spirit of the game.

I may have more later.

I admit this version is more limited. But there are still many outlets...

I imagine that a "wizard" college will include sages, elementalists, shamans, sorcerers, witches, etc. In real life, colleges serve two purposes:
-- Train new generations
-- Conduct research amongst peers
Maybe there's a third purpose too?
Anyway, the college would still serve to train new generations.

Also, since there is multiclassing, characters who are already spellcasters may mingle among their peers and learn new spells. A sage/wizard is a very nice combo, for example, as is a pathfinder/wizard.

Members of the wizard class can add new spells to their repertoire outside of their class. They can take "Diverse Dweomer", which reads: "Select 4 basic magic abilities for which you qualify drawn from any classes. You now know these abilities."

Just for this, higher level spellcasters would definitely wish to gather to learn from each other.

Wizards can take the Arcanist theme -- which seems likely for a collegiate wizard -- and select Minor Arcana and Major Arcana multiple times to reach into other classes. The theme also offers abilities like Craft Magic Item, Mana Pool, and Student of the Weave.

Perhaps an arcana college teaches and maybe even gate-keeps this theme. You might say in your campaign setting that in order to join and progress in the Arcanist theme, a character needs to join an arcane college, eldritch college, or whatnot.

As for expanding one's spellbook options, there are magic items like the Necromnicon and Astral Codex. These are spellbook-like magic items that require you study them to use them, just like a spellbook, and offer spells within them.

And of course, wizards can use scrolls, and scroll use is not limited to one's class (although reading a scroll from your class list is automatic rather than requiring an Arcana check).

Taken together, if I were a wizard in this world and someone said, "come join me at a wizard college for a while", I'd say yes. There are so many options.

All this said, it's true, it's not a 3.5/PF wizard in its extreme versatility. I would offer: A GM is free to reward a wizard character with a scroll of a new, custom-made spell, and then let the character study it and add it to his list of class spells (thus making it accessible via his Spellbook).

A new theme for spellcasters that revolves around the use of a spellbook, familiars, etc -- that allows one to become a classic spellcaster -- is also in order at some point, perhaps in the Expansion Kit!

VanceMadrox

First Post
I admit this version is more limited. But there are still many outlets...

I imagine that a "wizard" college will include sages, elementalists, shamans, sorcerers, witches, etc. In real life, colleges serve two purposes:
-- Train new generations
-- Conduct research amongst peers
Maybe there's a third purpose too?
Anyway, the college would still serve to train new generations.

Also, since there is multiclassing, characters who are already spellcasters may mingle among their peers and learn new spells. A sage/wizard is a very nice combo, for example, as is a pathfinder/wizard.

Members of the wizard class can add new spells to their repertoire outside of their class. They can take "Diverse Dweomer", which reads: "Select 4 basic magic abilities for which you qualify drawn from any classes. You now know these abilities."

Just for this, higher level spellcasters would definitely wish to gather to learn from each other.

Wizards can take the Arcanist theme -- which seems likely for a collegiate wizard -- and select Minor Arcana and Major Arcana multiple times to reach into other classes. The theme also offers abilities like Craft Magic Item, Mana Pool, and Student of the Weave.

Perhaps an arcana college teaches and maybe even gate-keeps this theme. You might say in your campaign setting that in order to join and progress in the Arcanist theme, a character needs to join an arcane college, eldritch college, or whatnot.

As for expanding one's spellbook options, there are magic items like the Necromnicon and Astral Codex. These are spellbook-like magic items that require you study them to use them, just like a spellbook, and offer spells within them.

And of course, wizards can use scrolls, and scroll use is not limited to one's class (although reading a scroll from your class list is automatic rather than requiring an Arcana check).

Taken together, if I were a wizard in this world and someone said, "come join me at a wizard college for a while", I'd say yes. There are so many options.

All this said, it's true, it's not a 3.5/PF wizard in its extreme versatility. I would offer: A GM is free to reward a wizard character with a scroll of a new, custom-made spell, and then let the character study it and add it to his list of class spells (thus making it accessible via his Spellbook).

A new theme for spellcasters that revolves around the use of a spellbook, familiars, etc -- that allows one to become a classic spellcaster -- is also in order at some point, perhaps in the Expansion Kit!

I completely agree that a magical college may have classes besides Wizards there. I also agree that colleges would still be needed to train people to enter the class.

I'll even grant that you can flavor it that Wizards are learning new spells from others but there's nothing mechanical indicating this. As it is the only time Wizards can learn new spells are when they gain levels. Characters aren't aware of having levels, this makes it feel odd in world. A Wizard may study a lot with others but periodically he can learn several new spells (on level up)and at other times no matter how hard he studies he can't learn anything new.

While it works mechanically it's not really standard D&D, and it looks like in general you are trying to stay fairly close to the feel of D&D.

I do think a spellbook related Theme may help out a lot though.

Last edited:

Evenglare

Adventurer
If i'm not mistaken this is a sort of meld between both 4th edition and 3rd edition D&D. In 4th edition classes DO only gain power / spells or whatever upon level up, this is perfectly consistent with 4th edition D&D which IS D&D just as much as 3rd edition is. At least that's what I felt when I read the classes.

AncientSpirits

First Post
A Wizard may study a lot with others but periodically he can learn several new spells (on level up)and at other times no matter how hard he studies he can't learn anything new.

Just a quick thought, in case you didn't see this, as I rush off to lunch...
On page 109, under Gaining Experience Points,

3. Train Intensely: You stay home to study. You gain 1 XP for each 1 month of intense training and study. You can train for 3 consecutive months before needing a 1 month break, and you can benefit from up to 20 months total during your lifetime. You cannot adventure or even work a job while training.

So using this rule, a PC gain move ahead a little, especially to earn those few extra XP needed to push him to a new level, where he gets access to new abilities.

Anyway, I suspect the solution is a theme. The theme would allow the character to add scroll spells to his spellbook and/or consult/train with another spellcaster to add to his spellbook. These spells will JUST be available via Spellbook, though I'd allow the character to make scrolls of said spells too. There would also be an expanded Spellbook option that bridges the space between Spellbook and Mnemonic Enhancer.

Great conversation!

AncientSpirits

First Post
Are there any adventures available for it, pdf or printed?

Daniel Marshall, who has already written some adventures for Pathfinder, has just turned in a completed draft of a sizable adventure, The Braggerton Butcher, for use with Radiance RPG (and Pathfinder), level 5-7, in a generic Victorian era. It includes some pact magic along with the usual adventure goodness.

Robyo

Explorer
I can see dhampir as both a race and a class. Same with shifter...

You could even make warmech a class for PC's who die and have their souls transferred to golems.

AncientSpirits

First Post
I can see dhampir as both a race and a class. Same with shifter...

You could even make warmech a class for PC's who die and have their souls transferred to golems.

The upcoming Expansion Kit features the dragoon class, which is more cyborg than golem, but fills much of the same role.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases