Anyone check out Radiance RPG yet?

AncientSpirits

First Post
When is the Expansion scheduled for release? It's called a kit, but it's a book, right?

It's called a kit and yes it's still a book. :)

There is no current release date. My desire is before Christmas. A lot of the material is done... in fact, a lot of the earlier material was targeted to be in the Masters Guide, which was a mistake, and I wasted time worked on the Expansion Kit material in lieu of more pressing and less interested activities, like entering edits.

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=55778]AncientSpirits[/MENTION]
Hey Dario, when you get a chance can you explain or provide a page reference number for how saving throws work in Radiance? I see references to them, but cannot find the corresponding rules. Thanks!

-Aaron

AncientSpirits

First Post
Hey Dario, when you get a chance can you explain or provide a page reference number for how saving throws work in Radiance? I see references to them, but cannot find the corresponding rules. Thanks!

-Aaron

Bottom of page 40.
Pages 40-41 are your lifeline for the book!
They work like 4E.

------------------------------------------------

Defenses: The target of an ability may be able to defend himself to minimize harm. There are 3 defenses, also called “saves”.

--Fortitude: Withstand physical assault, such as by an arrow’s poison.
Strength or Constitution
--Reflex: Dodge or look away, such as avoiding falling into a pit.
Dexterity or Intelligence
--Will: Resist mental assault, such as a witch’s charm spell.
Wisdom or Charisma

Each ability indicates which defense to use (if any). Compute the target’s defenses using the following formula:

= 10 + ½ target’s level + target’s attribute
modifier + other modifiers

Use the most advantageous attribute modifiers. For example, a character with 8 Wisdom and 15 Charisma would use Charisma to improve his Will.

The character using the ability makes an attack roll. If the result is above the target’s defense, then the target suffers the full effect. Otherwise, the target is okay or suffers a moderated effect such as ½ damage.

------------------------------------------------

NotZenon

Explorer
You know the more i read this thread and your responses the more i like this game.

And to be honest i really like your explanation for why the damphir is a class and not a race! I initially thought the same thing (shouldn't this be a race?) but you are right with multiclassing it allows players to be "as much" or "as little" vampire as they want. Also becoming a vampire doesn't totally unbalance the game. I also appreciate the "shifter" class in this regard. Now i can have vampires and werewolves running around with my regular pc's (i have at least one pc who's really into that sort of thing anyways).

Quickleaf

Legend
Thanks. You know, using the term "saves" to refer to passive defenses is really confusing. Especially because in all other versions of D&D saves are an active check. Not to mention, it just makes no sense to have 2 competing terms for one concept.

VanceMadrox

First Post
If i'm not mistaken this is a sort of meld between both 4th edition and 3rd edition D&D. In 4th edition classes DO only gain power / spells or whatever upon level up, this is perfectly consistent with 4th edition D&D which IS D&D just as much as 3rd edition is. At least that's what I felt when I read the classes.

4E is definitely D&D but the mechanics of how Wizards worked changed drastically and is extremely different from what has come before, even more than the differences between 3E and 2E.

Also 4E is only one iteration. In all other iterations of D&D having a spell book meant a lot more.

VanceMadrox

First Post
Just a quick thought, in case you didn't see this, as I rush off to lunch...
On page 109, under Gaining Experience Points,

3. Train Intensely: You stay home to study. You gain 1 XP for each 1 month of intense training and study. You can train for 3 consecutive months before needing a 1 month break, and you can benefit from up to 20 months total during your lifetime. You cannot adventure or even work a job while training.

So using this rule, a PC gain move ahead a little, especially to earn those few extra XP needed to push him to a new level, where he gets access to new abilities.

Anyway, I suspect the solution is a theme. The theme would allow the character to add scroll spells to his spellbook and/or consult/train with another spellcaster to add to his spellbook. These spells will JUST be available via Spellbook, though I'd allow the character to make scrolls of said spells too. There would also be an expanded Spellbook option that bridges the space between Spellbook and Mnemonic Enhancer.

Great conversation!

I agree it's a great conversation, it's nice to see a deisgner so accessible and interested in what fans have to say.
(And make no mistake despite my misgivings I am a fan. If I weren't as invested in Pathfinder as I am I'd be buying a bunch of copies of Radiance in a heart beat)

Still, while a theme may help this I don't like needing a theme to fix something that seems like a problem with the basic class itself.

I do understand that the player book is a finished product so this is merely discussion.

Have you thought about adding more options for previously presented classes in expansions?

VanceMadrox

First Post
You know the more i read this thread and your responses the more i like this game.

And to be honest i really like your explanation for why the damphir is a class and not a race! I initially thought the same thing (shouldn't this be a race?) but you are right with multiclassing it allows players to be "as much" or "as little" vampire as they want. Also becoming a vampire doesn't totally unbalance the game. I also appreciate the "shifter" class in this regard. Now i can have vampires and werewolves running around with my regular pc's (i have at least one pc who's really into that sort of thing anyways).

I agree that Ancient Spirits resposne was well thought out and had some good points. I am still in the camp that doesn't think vampire and werewolf PCs are a good idea, they're monsters for a reason.

So I will continue to respectfully disagree.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases