Secretive Behavior and Conspiracy Theories

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=8835]Janx[/MENTION]
I bet your friends read th is article or one similar to it: Prison Planet.com Federal Law Enforcement Stockpiling Arms (10,000/ICE Employee). And for reference here is the separate request from DHS for .357 SIG hollow point round (it seems the quantity of rounds sought has been redacted): https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportu...&id=183c013a31357f03e8ab64d29bf86b2f&_cview=0.

The volume of .223 SD rounds is massive!! It is like "urban meltdown" levels, which I believe is what conspiracy theorists would see in this, a stockpiling to put down urban insurrection.

Personally, this September/October I was watching news more than normal, because Tom Brown of the Tracker School had sent out an un characteristic warning to students about the potential fallout of a solar flare disabling most mechanical devices. I know it sounds absurd, the stuff out of sci-fi. I read about solar flares but didn't reach the same conclusion that Tom did, but I still respect the man immensely - he is attempting to find patterns in extraordinary amounts of modern information and match those up to indigenous prophecies. That's mind-rending work, any way you slice it, and you've got to be a little crazy to go there.

Then again a little crazy can save your life sometimes.

In a more serious return to the topic, my conspiracy theory friend has delivered the link to the government site where they are looking to buy .223 ammo in large quantities.

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=c432be5826bf182b180ab4c2392aa978&tab=core&tabmode=list&=

The Statement of Work (SOW) indicates 40 million this year, and 40 million per subsequent option year for 4 years.

The requesting department is Homeland Security.

My friend sees some dark purpose to such an order.

I deduce that the .223 probably fits M16 style weapons. And that this ammo may likely be deployed to border patrol, CIA, FBI for actual gunfights and for target practice. The latter likely being a heavier consumer of ammo.

His assessment of scale is way off.

Yes, .223 (5.56mm) fits M16 & M4-type weapons, and yes, most of it will be used in training (CIA isn't part of DHS, by the way, but the Coast Guard is, and they shoot a metric buttload of ammo for what is primarily a law enforcement agency).

40 million rounds per year is peanuts. Try this on for order of magnitude: the Army is currently buying -- and consuming -- on the order of 400-500 million rounds of 5.56mm per year, most of it in training, and those numbers are significantly down from a couple of years ago (at the peak of operations in Iraq in 2007 we were buying and consuming on the order of 1.2 billion rounds of small arms ammo a year). In another fact that will blow your mind: virtually all of the Army's current 5.56mm production comes from a single location, the Lake City Army Ammunition Plant in Missouri.

Last edited:

Janx

Hero
Quickleaf's article and summation sounds like my friend's thinking, so I suspect that's his initiating source (as in read article, then found the .gov site as proof).

I would suspect that if I found a .gov site and had a crazy theory and posted an blog entry about it, and you read my blog entry FIRST, then checked the .gov site to verify my "proof", that you'd be more inclined to agree with my position, than if you found the .gov site and were left to think of the reason on your own.

Basically, when you're given an explanation backed with facts, you're more likely to acccept the explanation. After all, it has facts, that you can check.

[MENTION=5868]Olgar Shiverstone[/MENTION]'s explanation of actualy military consumption of ammo matches by guess of what it could mean. Basically, training. You'll probably use more ammo on the shooting range, than on the field, at least for folks NOT in an active combat situation.

Assuming Olgar's "facts" on typical consumption rates are correct enough (they sound plausible, based on my understanding of shooting lots of ammo on the range, and 1 round on an animal), then this is all in line with that.

In general, I'm skeptical of large organizations being able to pull of large screw jobs of society like a coup. I suppose it's possible, lots of people helped Hitler, the Manhattan project was apparently pretty well kept, and Apple does a fairly good job of keeping their new iPhone's secret. But then, there's also leaks. We did KNOW what Hitler was doing. At least 2 of the Apple rumors were correct.

Additionally, when it comes to the big evil take-over concerns, we do have our second ammendment rights. Which are really the right to vote Hitler out of office. While there are crazy and wrong people who've previously executed on that right, it is always an option in America when General McEvil stages a coup and takes over the goverrnment.

I also believe that even if the majority of General McEvil's command buy's into his BS about America needing him to take over, at least SOME of his men (who are all also Americans) will realize what he's doing is wrong, and do something about it. I believe that at least one Nazi said "this is wrong" and got shot, and another Nazi kept his mouth shut and then worked behind the scenes to resist. Just like some white folk in the south helped black folk escape on the underground railroad. Not everybody drinks the local koolaid.

Remove ads