D&D 5th Edition Multiclassing in Next

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Multiclassing in Next

Multiclassing has been a feature in D&D, and it??s not going away for D&D Next. Read what Mike envisions for multiclassing for the upcoming game system.

Read Multiclassing in Next on D&D Insider here!

Optional but full multiclassing with more attention paid to the math. Maybe this will make everyone happy...
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"

The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    WotBSZEITGEIST

Ignore RangerWickett
    Me likey.

Particularly that a fighter who decides to learn a little magic at 10th level won't have to cast dinky magic missiles that will never be as useful as his longbow. Apparently he'll be able to do some more impressive magic. I'm interested to see how they figure out a balance of power and plausibility.

"Oh, you just started learning magic a week ago, and you can already fireball? Dandy."
    Ryan "RangerWickett" Nock
    Director of the ZEITGEIST campaign saga.

The most cinematic adventure path for 4th Edition and Pathfinder.

Now available - Admiral o' the High Seas, and ZEITGEIST adventure eight, Diaspora! For Pathfinder and D&D 4e.

Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore The Shadow
    It's the plausibility that bothers me too. I suppose one could justify it from the fact that the XP it takes to go from 10th to 11th is a lot more than what it takes to go from 1st to 2nd; so gaining that level represents getting multiple levels of wizard?

EDIT:

Also, it's hard not to be a little cynical about trying to enforce prestige-classes-as-organizations. We'll see.
    "All right, I am not the Shadow. You have nothing at all to worry about. Except, oh, wait, I'm pointing a gun at you."

--The Shadow

Defender (Lvl 8)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore slobster
    It's interesting that they decided to make an entire new class table for each multiclass just to get around the problem of frontloading. I guess it's all a little too vague right now to really make judgments, but it sounds pretty convoluted to me. I prefer to use the normal class levels for multiclassing, especially if all they are really worried about is what happens at level one.

I do enjoy pre-4E multiclassing though, so it's nice to see it coming back.

Commutiny Exporter
    Guide (Lvl 11)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    D&D

Ignore tuxgeo
    4E allowed multi-classing at 1st Level, either by feat or by hybrid. If 5E doesn't allow any multi-classing at 1st Level, the fanbase will be just that much less unified.
    Is that a big deal? Probably not -- but it does seem to be the way they're going.
    Original Member of the Rouseketeers! ("mmnnaarrrrrrrrr")
    "I'll take sitting around on my laurels because my character died any day over feeling like regardless of what I do, my character can't fail no matter what." -- Hobo

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    I Defended The Walls!

Ignore FireLance
    Quote Originally Posted by slobster View Post
    It's interesting that they decided to make an entire new class table for each multiclass just to get around the problem of frontloading. I guess it's all a little too vague right now to really make judgments, but it sounds pretty convoluted to me. I prefer to use the normal class levels for multiclassing, especially if all they are really worried about is what happens at level one.
    I think 5e will have to walk a very careful tightrope because you don't want taking a level in a new class to give too much or too little. Unfortunately, it appears that simplicity (or alternately, rules elegance) will be the casualty.

I've always been of the view that one of the key reasons why spellcaster multiclassing was problematic in 3e was because gaining one spellcaster level led to gains in three or four dimensions:

1. An increase in the number and power of spell slots available (this can be further decomposed into the total number of slots and the power of each slot);
    2. Access to more powerful spells, about every other level or so; and
    3. An increase in the power of individual spells.

The 4e solution (at least for the AEDU classes) was to equalize the number, strength and access to powers for all classes (although you had to spend feats to swap powers), and tie the strength of individual powers to the level of the power instead of directly to the level of the character.

If 5e multiclassing is going to be largely based on the 3e approach, I think the following tweaks will need to be made to avoid revisiting the issues that some players encountered:

1. The power of a spellcaster's spell slots should be tied to character level. A 10th-level character, even if he has only one level of wizard, should still have access to 5th or, at the minimum, 4th level spell slots (although not necessarily 5th or 4th level spells - see below).

2. The number of spell slots a spellcaster has access to can depend on the number of levels he has in spellcasting classes. Together, this means that a 10th-level character with just one level of wizard might have access to just one spell, but it's a spell that is worth using.

3. Based on what we have seen so far, the effect of a spell will be fixed based on its level and not the level of the caster. What we have not seen is whether the effect of a spell can be increased by preparing it in a higher spell slot. This second point is quite important because, if implemented, it would go some way to allowing even basic spells to remain relevant at all levels of play.

4. If basic spells can remain relevant at all levels of play, then we can make access to higher-level spells dependant on spellcaster level instead of character level. So maybe the Fighter 5/Wizard 5 can't cast cone of cold like the Wizard 10 and has only half of the spellcasting endurance, but his fireball is nearly as good. The Fighter 9/Wizard 1 can only cast a single burning hands, but it packs a punch when he does.

Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Raith5
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Also, it's hard not to be a little cynical about trying to enforce prestige-classes-as-organizations. We'll see.
    I like the idea that prestige-classes should have organic real world connections but I also like generic options as well. I just dont like the name prestige class. It is not really a class more like a background or specialization. Maybe advanced specialization? Too wordy. Maybe some other alternative?

Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Iosue
    It's the plausibility that bothers me too. I suppose one could justify it from the fact that the XP it takes to go from 10th to 11th is a lot more than what it takes to go from 1st to 2nd; so gaining that level represents getting multiple levels of wizard?

EDIT:

That's an interesting idea. If it takes 4,000 XP to go from level 9 to 10, and 3,750 to get to level 4 from level 1, then at level 10 you'd have access to level 4 abilities. If the scaling is minimized, that might work. It would, of course, require a very careful balancing of the various levels. They'd really have to check all the permutations.

Guide (Lvl 11)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Zaran

EDIT:

You know I doubt they are doing this but this could work. Your 10th level fighter goes to wizard school. If their XP went back to 0 without losing the 10 levels of fighter , they would go up quickly in power with 11th level adventuers but will still never make up the xp already spent on the fighter.

What I'm saying is what if it takes 10000 xp to go from 10th level to 11th level fighter. If a 10th level fighter decides he wants to be a wizard. That 10000 xp might be worth 4 levels of Wizard. so by the time the party is 11th level the fighter/wizard is 10/4 because they are essentally starting from scratch in xp. The big IF for this would be to make sure 4 levels of wizard is never as good in martial fighting ability as 1 level of fighter.
    My name is Zaran and this is my favorite thread on Enworld.

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast