D&D 5E Multiclassing in Next

I'm glad you said, "just kidding," because I don't believe that description. :)

To me, a 1st-level rogue with the necromancer specialty and the soldier background is a has-been warrior who is a member of the rogue class, but who has no magic capability at all because the "Aura of Souls" feat requires spellcasting ability before a character can take it.

What do you think of my hafling Magic user theif Fighter?

What about my Dwarven Acolyte Sage Rogue (Theif)

tuxgeo

Adventurer
What do you think of my hafling [sic] Magic user theif [sic] Fighter?

What about my Dwarven Acolyte Sage Rogue (Theif) [sic]

I would like to see the builds, but basically I think this: The halfling fighter is a fighter, and the dwarf rogue is a rogue.
They're not multiclassed, but they do get some of the benefits of other classes. More to the point, the halfling won't get the wizard's automatic +3 to magic attacks, and the dwarf won't get the cleric's automatic +2 to magic attacks; and neither character gets any kind of "Spell DC" or "Channel Divinity" or "Spells per Day" or "Spellbook." If the campaign uses XP, neither of these characters will have to divide the XP between one class and another.

If the halfling used Finesse Weapons, that could reduce his/her multiple attribute dependency. Also, stealthy dwarves are "unexpected," so that's kind of neat. (Are these fully fleshed out characters with sub-races and names, or are they simply talking points?)

I would like to see the builds, but basically I think this: The halfling fighter is a fighter, and the dwarf rogue
see I see the hafling as a skirmisher and the dwarf as a researcher

(Are these fully fleshed out characters with sub-races and names, or are they simply talking points?)
the hafling is and the dwarf was mostly real fleshed out.

I drew both up, and my elf ranger up as my 3ideas but the hafling got the most play. (High elf bounty hunter healer fighter(bow))

My hafling fights with short sword and sling

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
I sort of like the general idea - have a short chapter like the 4e "hybrid" chapter that goes through each class and details how it works in multiclassing. And I imagine SOME of the confusion will be solved by having spells and powers scale by "character level" instead of "class level."

But this bird's-eye view of the issue doesn't really explain a lot of the obvious issues with such a system. The biggest one is a point others have already made: to be balanced and useful, your fighter10/wizard1 needs high-level spells, but to be "realistic," it seems weird that he can learn Cone of Cold before he even learns Magic Missile. I'm guessing they're going to have to rely on rules options to please everybody here: for example, there could be an optional rules module saying you can only multiclassing by alternating two classes starting at first level (to simulate hybrids or 2e dual-classing).

But even after they decide where they're coming down on that dilemma, there's still a lot of trickiness to be figured out here. Everyone in this thread is focusing on spell levels, since that was such an issue in 3e, but what about fighter expertise dice? Does a wizard10/fighter1 get 1d6, or does he get something like 1d12? 4d6? 4d12? If he only gets one die he'll probably never be able to use high-level fighter maneuvers like Whirlwind that require 3+ dice - would that be akin to a multiclass wizard stuck with useless low-level spells?

How about a rogue10/sorcerer1 - how much Willpower does he get? Probably less than a level 11 sorcerer but more than a level 1 sorcerer, but what's the formula? Does he get all the origin transformations of an 11th level sorcerer, or just the first-level one, or somewhere in between? How about origin-specific spells like Dragon Breath?

How about warlocks - right now the only difference in combat between a level 1 and level 5 warlock is 1d6 of Eldritch Blast damage (and a few more invocations known, almost all of which are defensive, evasive, or non-combat in nature). If a rogue10/warlock1 gets the same Eldritch Blast damage as a warlock11, is it really worth all those extra warlock levels just for the versatility of more invocations known (when you're still stuck using only 2 of them per encounter)? How about pact powers?

And of course every other class, and every new class, would have an equally thorny bundle of questions to be resolved, many of which would seem to require a bunch of different variables. Now, each of these questions can be answered with careful consideration and playtesting, but I'm not sure how they could avoid it being utterly confusing and 100 pages long when written up into a chapter.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Well, it looks like I've got yet another drum to bang: non-additive levels.

A Fighter-10/Wizard 1 is just that - a 10th-level Fighter and (mechanically independently) a 1st-level Wizard. She fights like a 10th and cast spells like a 1st. She takes the better of her two options when it comes to things like saving throws, she can use devices usually available only to Wizards, she has to take her armour off before casting any spells, etc. Because her levels are so disparate her hit die remains a d10, gained only when her Fighter side bumps. (were the levels more even her hit die would reflect this - a 50-50 split here would give a d7, for example). And XP earned are divided down between the two classes (though to get a F10/W1 it would take about a 99%-1% split; either that or she spent a bunch of time to pick up the Wizard side after running as a single-class Fighter for several levels) on a ratio determined by the player before each adventure.

Lanefan

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The biggest one is a point others have already made: to be balanced and useful, your fighter10/wizard1 needs high-level spells, but to be "realistic," it seems weird that he can learn Cone of Cold before he even learns Magic Missile.

I really can't agree that a F10/W1 needs to be "balanced & useful." He's a fighter who learned some minor magics, so he should be a little bit better & more flexible than F10, and a lot tougher than W1. That's it.

3.X style multiclassing because the difference in power between level X and level X+1 is not exactly the same for all values of X in many games.

They pretty much have to figure out how much power each level will give and its comparable benefits to going from Level 0 to Level 1 in a new class.

Last edited:

keterys

First Post
3e's multiclassing and prestige classes are some of the scarier elements to pluck from that edition. I think I'd prefer any of the other options than 3e's for that particular mechanic. Maybe as a purely optional system, but also provide at least one or two other purely optional systems that are _much_ simpler, allow multiclassing at first level, require less effort to prevent "gaming" them, and aren't so laden with character performance failing pitfalls.

I suspect I'd most like something between 1st edition's and hybrid rules, preferably without making things too complicated. Like for every class set its primary/secondary abilities and multiclassing loses one bucket.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The main reason I disliked AD&D multiclassing- after the racial restrictions that need not be dragged along- is that it only supported one kind of multiclassing PC concept, namely, someone who has always mixed their adbvancement and always will.

With 3Ed's version and- pains me though it does to admit it- 4Ed's version, your PC can decide to come to a class later in life and only advance in it so far as he/she/it chooses.

Both are valid PC concepts that should be supported, IMHO.

Like I said upthread, I think 3Ed's take on multiclassing flexibility is superior, so I fully support that.

However (and I should have said this sooner), choosing between AD&D's and 4Ed's takes on "always had it, always will" multiclassing, I prefer 4Ed's Hybrids. Why?

Because in AD&D, the penalty was typically about 1-2 levels of lag in class level abilities, which generally wasn't much of a penalty for all the added flexibility you got. You might lose a dice off an attack spell, and getting that 9th level of spells was a struggle, but the flexibility you had was grand.

In contrast, a Hybrid character chooses which few things from each class he'll master...and ignores/loses the rest of the class features. What things he can do within a class he does basically as well as a non-Hybrid member of that class, but that which he has set aside to gain flexibility is lost to him.

So, my FULL answer is that I'd like to see a melding of the 3Ed multiclassing rules and their flexibility partnered with the 4Ed Hybrid model.

Steely_Dan

First Post
Sounds pretty groovy so far, no front-loaded-cherry-picking (Fighter 1/Divine Bard 4/Battlesmith 1/Deepwarden 2/Dwarf Paragon 1/Hammer of Moradin 4, etc, rubbish) and spells are no longer dependant on level.

Though i do like the 1st/2nd Ed multi-class (fighter/magic-user/thief) from level 1 action.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases