Review of Midgard Atlas iPad app by Open Design

Blackwarder

Adventurer
So yesterday night I opened my email to find an email from the Kobold Press and a tid bit about the Midgard atlas iPad app so I quickly went and check it out.

For those of you who don't know Midgard is the campaign setting of Wolfgang Baur brought to the general public by the magic of Open Design, starting with great advantures such as The Lost City and Court of the Shadow Fey, gazetteer like the Zobeck Gazeteer and the like and much more (I especially like the book of Drakes) you should definitely check it out.

The Midgard Atlas app cost 3.99$ in the app store and it gives you a redicilusly high resolution map of Midgard heart land all the way to the Dragon Empire plus nine highly detailed city maps and that's about it. There are a couple of nice addons like a moving cloud cover (super cool but not really helpfull) and the ability to toggle on and off text on the maps which is usefull when you want to show your players the map with no hints on it.

All in all, this map app seems like an half finished product, the maps themselves are gorgeous which is what we would accept from Jonathan Roberts and the ability to zoom in and out is very cool but the lack of textual parts make its just a pretty picture.

Here are a list of things I would love to have in the app:

1. Description of places by tapping on them.
2. Variable map modes, such as trade routs and goods, political map, weather patterns by months, etc.
3. The ability to add user created notes to places on the map.
4. The ability to buy in the app Gazeteer sections and even advantures.
5. This being D&D, the ability to share.

But, and ts is a big but, the Midgard Atlas app might be the beginning of having a campaign setting source materials on mobile devices, I wouldn't be surprised if a future updat won't bring in app purchases for all of the above and the great stuff already written for Midgard.

Warder

Last edited:

Monkey King

Explorer
Thanks for the review, Blackwarder!

And yes, this is just the first step for the Atlas. More city maps are planned, and so are markers and overview information. However, a $3.99 app was never going to have the same level of detail as a huge printed book. The Atlas is meant to be an awesome atlas first and foremost, and I think it succeeds in that (and it sounds like you do too!).

Moving from atlas to encyclopedia or setting book is definitely possible. I like your list of suggestions, because it overlaps some of the features we had to cut for the first release.

I'll be very interested to hear what other people most want to see in future updates.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
Hi Wolfgang?, thanks for reading and replying, how come the OD forums don't have a thread about the app? (last I checked).

As I said in my first post, the app feels half finished, I'm not expecting the entire Midgard campaign setting for 3.99$ but a small pop up text win the city maps, a small description of the city and small descriptions when pressing on points of Intrest in the map just to wear the appetite would make it somthing I would all heartily recommend.

Warder

Monkey King

Explorer
I hear what you are saying about wanting text to go with the maps. An atlas doesn't usually have that, but it's something I'd like to see. I'll be meeting with the developer about the next set of features later this week.

As for the thread in the Kobold forums, there's an active one in the private forums, but only the Kobold blog post in public. I can fix that.

Karak

First Post
Whoops I think I responded to your other thread. Anyway thanks for the review. I actually think this is pretty dang cool. I have a specific issue with it but I think its my hardware. I love and support pretty much anything that has to do with roleplaying on tablets and phones.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases