[Adventure] The Seeds of Chaos - Judge Needed

[sblock=Leather Athletics Check] An athletics roll of 21 calculates (considering this a jump with a running start) as a vertical movement of 4 feet 2 inches. You don't have Leather's height listed, but just for the sake of ridiculousness, we'll say he's 7 feet tall. You get to add 1/3 of your height (rounded down to the nearest inch) to your jump height to determine how high you can grab onto something. 1/3 of 7 feet is 2 feet 4 inches. So given your 7 foot height, add in 4 feet 2 inches (11' 2") and add to that another 2 feet 4 inches (a total of 13' 6 inches), you are shy of what was needed to reach the 20 ft height of the chamber by roughly 6 feet 6 inches. [/sblock]

OOC: The water is currently only at 4 feet high, but is quickly rising. DC 10 Athletics check to tread water once it is 3/4 your own height (just over armpit level before you no longer touch bottom due to buoyancy).

The padlock is hanging just below the grate on your side, so no problems accessing it if you can get up to it.

WEContact

First Post
Haaku watches Leather fail to reach the padlock. Thinking quickly, he barks, "Human ladder! Two of us hold a third, and a fourth climbs on the third's shoulders to reach the lock. Can anyone pick it? Otherwise we'll need to try to break it."

jbear

First Post
"Go. Human ladder. I will be the bottom. I can hold my breath. Climb and pick the lock. Now!"

​Using the weight of his arsenal and armour it is easy enough for Leather to anchor his feet solidly to the ground beneath the grate. He braces himself to provide a solid base for those about to climb him, and accepting a shoulder to shoulder arm length embrace with anyone else prepared to provide the base of the pyramid. When the water goes over his head he takes a deep breath and holds it as long as he can.

Son of Meepo

First Post
OOC: "Human" ladder sounds good. Though Fhamgrim isn't that great of a climber. But he definitely has the best shot at Thievery in the group.

Athletics (1d20+3=6)

Fhangrim nodded and tried to prop himself up on the backs of the others, but he was much too gangly and his feet were much too large for climbing.

"No good..."

OOC: Unfortunately in this party we have people who are good at climbing, but bad at picking locks and people who are good at picking locks, but bad at climbing.

Then he remembered something. The dryad did some trick with her cloak and walked up the side of a building.

"Madam, could you I possibly borrow your cloak for a minute."

OOC: Ilex has a neck slot item that gives her a spider climb ability for one round. If Fhangrim could borrow it he could scale the wall and reach the lock.

Right now we have no internet at home, so my wife can't respond, so should we just go ahead with that plan?

If we can't get this to work, our only option may be to wait for the water to reach the top and then we can all swim up and work on trying to open the grate.

OOC: I would prefer not to allow characters to take items from another character without their express permission being given (where all can see). Given that you are husband and wife, however, I will make an exception (and you have to deal with the RL consequences of messing with your wife's character's stuff :p).

Note that magical item powers that are not at-will do not apply per-character. So if you use a daily power of a magic item and hand it to someone else, that daily power will still be used up until a long rest has occurred (or another effect allows the cloak to regenerate that power).

As the adventurers continue discussing how to tackle the issue of reaching the top of the chamber, the water continues to pour in, and the water level rises to 6 feet, forcing Leather, Haaku, Ilex, and Torqua to chose holding their breath as the water rises over their heads, or attempt treading water, rising with the level of water in the chamber.

OOC: To hold your breath, consult the suffocation rules below. To tread water, make a DC 15 Athletics check. Failure by five or more means that you go under the water and must hold your breath until you can swim back up (another DC 15 Athletics check).

[sblock=Suffocation rules]

When a character is deprived of air, they can hold their breath for 3 minutes. After that, such deprivation is a significant test of an adventurer’s stamina. (People who aren’t adventurers are far less hardy.)

Endurance Check: At the end of 3 minutes, the character must make a DC 20 Endurance check if they continue to

Success: Success buys the character another round. Then the check is repeated against DC 25, then against DC 30, and so on.

Failure: When a character fails the check, he or she loses a healing surge and must continue to make checks against DC 25, then against DC 30, and so on. A character who fails a check and has no healing surges takes damage equal to his or her level.
A character cannot regain healing surges lost to suffocation until he or she gains access to air again.
A character who has 0 hit points or fewer and continues to suffocate continues taking damage as described above until he or she dies or is rescued.

Suffocation in Strenuous Situations: In strenuous situations, such as combat, going without air is very hard. A character holding his or her breath during underwater combat, for instance, must make a DC 20 Endurance check at the end of his or her turn in a round in which he or she takes damage. [/sblock]

Last edited:

Son of Meepo

First Post
OOC: Good thing it's an encounter power ;)

OOC: Though should I wait before posting again? Not sure if we should be acting in "rounds" at this point.

OOC: No, not in rounds. This is more free-time, and since not everyone will be doing something "active" more than treading water or holding their breath, we'll keep it more free-form.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases