Pathfinder 1E Opinions please on these two player created magical items.

S'mon

Legend
1. Stablize Token.
Once per day, if the bearer drops below zero hit points, this item will cast the stabilize "cantrip" on him/her.

Cost: Spell Level 1/2 multiplied by Caster Level 1. Therefore 1/2 multiplied by 2000gp (for continuous item) = 1,000gp, then divided by 5 (for once per day use) = 200gp, then multiplied by 2 because it doesnt occupy a specific body slot, for a total price of 400gp.

Given that Stabilise is not a continuous/duration spell, I'm not sure this is valid (continuous healing like the healing stone is certainly not valid). 1/day may be ok but I think the price you calculated is for an item that somebody has to take a standard action to use. Something that auto-activates exactly when you need it should cost a lot more, at least double I'd think. Anyway even though this item is not wildly powerful, it smacks of rules abuse.

Last edited:

Wycen

Explorer
Some thoughts.

I was recently looking at the Advances Races stuff in the updated PRD and I could have sworn I've seen a magic item that stabilizes characters. So compare that item to your players idea.

Crafting a wand of 1st level CLW would cost 375 gold. 750 is the purchase price.

I vaguely recall a periapt in the original 3E rules that would heal, but I could be wrong -maybe the 2E version healed. I'd have to reread the healing stone, but my gut tells me just say no. That might be because we have a wizard in our party who wanted to craft custom healing items.

edit: found the items:

WOUND PASTE
Aura faint conjuration; CL 1st
Slot none; Price 50 gp; Weight 1/2 lb.
DESCRIPTION
Prized by slavers as an affordable way to stop a captive from bleeding to death, a dose of wound paste acts as a stabilize spell when slathered on a dying creature. Applying wound paste is a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity. A pot of wound paste contains 5 doses.

CONSTRUCTION
Requirements Craft Wondrous Item, stabilize; Cost 25 gp

Here's the 3E periapt of wound closure. This is not a good comparison as it is pre-stabilize/Pathfinder, but for completeness.

Periapt of Wound Closure
This stone is bright red and dangles on a gold chain. The wearer of this periapt automatically becomes stable if his hit points drop to between -1 and -9 inclusive. The periapt doubles the wearer’s normal rate of healing or allows normal healing of wounds that would not do so normally. Hit point damage that involves bleeding is negated for the wearer of the periapt, but he is still susceptible to damage from bleeding that causes Constitution loss, such as that dealt by a wounding weapon.

Moderate conjuration; CL 10th; Craft Wondrous Item, heal; Price 15,000 gp.

Back to the healing stone. An important difference between a healing stone and a wand is who can use it. Only someone with CLW on their spell list can reliably use the wand. The stone as described can be used by anyone. What's to stop the crafter from creating one for each party member?

So I think going with wands of CLW is the better way to go.

Last edited:

radja

First Post
hmm... I'd say the stabilize token would make use of the contingency spell, which would greatly increase the price

If the problem is die rolling for the CLW wand, it would be simple to allow the players the option that 1 use cures 5 hp, and a second use cures 6. The average on 1d8+1 is 5.5, and if you're casting it 50 times, you'll end up pretty close to average over time.

Something I have considered doing: A healing wand, perhaps 800gp. It heals 250hp before burning out, at up to 5 hp/round but it only heals as much as the target needs. This is a bit more expensive and 25hp less of healing but it cuts the waste and gives better control.

There would also be higher capacity versions at the same price per hp.

Light Knight

First Post
Doesn't something like a necklace of cure light wounds cost by the rules 1800gp?

Command Word activated.

CL1 x SL1 x 1800?

Cure Moderate
CL3 x SL2 x 1800 = 10800

frankthedm

First Post
Doesn't something like a necklace of cure light wounds cost by the rules 1800gp?

Command Word activated.

CL1 x SL1 x 1800?

Cure Moderate
CL3 x SL2 x 1800 = 10800
The rules also stipulate custom items are to be compared to preexisting magic items to determine what they should cost.

Magic Item Gold Piece Values
Many factors must be considered when determining the price of new magic items. The easiest way to come up with a price is to compare the new item to an item that is already priced, using that price as a guide. Otherwise, use the guidelines summarized on Table: Estimating Magic Item Gold Piece Values.

A fine example is ring of force shield, the cost is over twice as much and only half as strong as what the formula would have costed for a Continuous Shield Spell. And it loses the magic missile immunity too.

Pricing a magic item isn't G.U.R.P.S. character creation.

healing stone has no issues

the healing stone may heal 1 hit point per round infinitely for 1,800 gold. but unlike the ring, it requires a standard action every round to activate and only really works out of combat. it also cuts into buff durations. 1,800 is a fair gold cost since you are paying the price in actions and delayed movement.

N'raac

First Post
the healing stone may heal 1 hit point per round infinitely for 1,800 gold. but unlike the ring, it requires a standard action every round to activate and only really works out of combat. it also cuts into buff durations. 1,800 is a fair gold cost since you are paying the price in actions and delayed movement.

A Wand of Cure Light Wounds costs 750, requires a standard action and a spellcaster to activate, heals more per use but only has 50 uses. It has the same drawbacks as the Stone, with a bit less duration to fully heal. It heals a total of 275 hp, on average, which sounds like one badly wounded party of not too high a level.

With that comparison, 1,800 gp seems pretty cheap for infinite out of combat healing.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases