AD&D 1st Edition 1st Edition Premium Unearthed Arcana Reprint - Page 3

+ Log in or register to post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Scout (Lvl 6)

Ignore shamsael
    I'd buy this if it had the errata. No errata, no sale.

Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

I Defended The Walls!

Ignore delericho
    I have all the 1st Ed hardbacks in decent condition, and am unlikely to give them any serious use, so UA isn't for me.

I'm sorely tempted by the "Spell Compendium", though (either the reprint, or a used copy when they hopefully drop in price).

The other reprints I would be interested in would be the "Rules Cyclopedia", and some sort of compilation of classic modules.

Oh, and a "Dungeon Archive" DVD, of course... though I don't expect that to happen!

Well, we know Diaglo won't pick it up, because it was written for Gary's powergaming scions. (my 2nd favorite Diaglo quote.)

Seriously, I might, because my copy of UA is barely hangin' in there. (It actually belongs to a former gaming buddy of mine, who left it at a friend's house, who bequeathed it to me until the friend ever decides to reclaim it -- which was about 13 years ago.)
    I am an OGL Warrior!

Novice (Lvl 1)

I Defended The Walls!

Ignore JohnnyZemo
    Quote Originally Posted by howandwhy99 View Post
    I still have my fingers crossed for compilations of the adventure modules, which could end up being many, many more hardcovers. What would you pay for a hardcover reprint of GDQ?
    Oooh! Great idea! I would love to have some nice reprints of the old 1E modules.

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Ignore Treebore
    As for modules, that would depend on price. I'd certainly like to buy new printings, though. For an example, of many I could give, my Scourge of the Slavelords has the pages simply falling out whenever I try to read through it. The original modules are very beat up as well. So getting nice, new, print copies that can last me another 30 years would be sweet, because my current copies are not going to last another 30 years. Fortunately I have already made a PDF copy of Scourge, so I will always have it in digital format.
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. NEVER hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you, IF it goes against the obvious intent of the game. As you hew the line with respect to conformity to major systems and uniformity of play in general, also be certain the game is mastered by you and not by your players. Within the broad parameters give in the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Volumes, YOU are creator and final arbiter. By ordering things as they should be, the game as a WHOLE first, your CAMPAIGN next, and your participants thereafter, you will be playing Advanced Dungeons and Dragons as it was meant to be. May you find as much pleasure in so doing as the rest of us do.

-1E DMG, page 230

Do you think there's any chance for an OD&D (wood-grain or white box) reprint?

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Ignore Treebore
    Quote Originally Posted by McBard View Post
    Do you think there's any chance for an OD&D (wood-grain or white box) reprint?
    A small one. If not, I don't really care, because I am happy with my "Whitebox" clone version. So for me, its already happened.
    It is the spirit of the game, not the letter of the rules, which is important. NEVER hold to the letter written, nor allow some barracks room lawyer to force quotations from the rule book upon you, IF it goes against the obvious intent of the game. As you hew the line with respect to conformity to major systems and uniformity of play in general, also be certain the game is mastered by you and not by your players. Within the broad parameters give in the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Volumes, YOU are creator and final arbiter. By ordering things as they should be, the game as a WHOLE first, your CAMPAIGN next, and your participants thereafter, you will be playing Advanced Dungeons and Dragons as it was meant to be. May you find as much pleasure in so doing as the rest of us do.

-1E DMG, page 230

Quote Originally Posted by howandwhy99 View Post
    There aren't many hardcover books of 1e that are really viable as reprints for their content after UA, which is dubious in a number of areas IMHO.

I still have my fingers crossed for compilations of the adventure modules, which could end up being many, many more hardcovers. What would you pay for a hardcover reprint of GDQ?

I don't agree, Dungeoneer's Survival Guide, Fiend Folio, Monster Manual 2, Wilderness Survival Guide, and my favourite D&D book of all time: Deities & Demigods (dig the Melnibonean chapter) all have fantastic, juicy, 1st Edition loveliness.

4ognard
    Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

Gygax Magazine I Defended The Walls!

Ignore TerraDave
    For all its quirks...it is probably in my top 5 of game books read and reffered to over the years.

And its somewhat unusual nature should make it highly collectible.
    A semi-brief History of D&D and some other RPGs: Part 1: 1967-1979 Part 2: 1980-1989
    All the official stuff for 4e
    Bonus:

4E has rituals, use them, they're magic;
    Want to see the greatest thing you will ever see? then click;
    You can use Earth as a D&D setting;
    Origins of The Rouse; (look for it)
    The Rouse responds; (look for it)
    One can appreciate both old and new D&D.

Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore Stouthart
    Looking forward to this. This was the book to have for my group during the 1st edition days. Sure it suffered from power creep, but we didn't care about that as kids. You got too powerful, the DM would just smack you down with a monster that outclassed you.

I would also love to see a reissue of the Rules Encyclopedia. My copies have seen better days.

Stouthart
    Mild mannered programmer by day, earths mightiest gamer by night... he is... the Stupendous Stouthart!

Check out my new weekly EN World column Shut Up and Roll each Friday in October.

You have nice manners for a thief and a liar," said the dragon.
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast