Excerpts: Life in the Realms

bogmad

First Post
Seeing as he's talked about his characters having day jobs, clerics being bothered by their clergy, etc, I'd say "Elminster's Forgotten Realms" as DMed by Ed Greenwood has a certain amount of non-monster-fighting, prosaic details.
From a world building perspective, I personally I love that type of stuff.

Also, this excerpt is from Chapter 1. Perhaps it might have some more "exciting" content later on after starting with more expository details first?

D'karr

Adventurer
Seeing as he's talked about his characters having day jobs, clerics being bothered by their clergy, etc, I'd say "Elminster's Forgotten Realms" as DMed by Ed Greenwood has a certain amount of non-monster-fighting, prosaic details.
From a world building perspective, I personally I love that type of stuff.

Also, this excerpt is from Chapter 1. Perhaps it might have some more "exciting" content later on after starting with more expository details first?

Exactly my point. If they "announce" here's something "more exciting than you'd like" then it would make sense that the person reading it might want to see something, I don't know, exciting?

It's incredibly exciting that gnomes are masters of the textile world. They accomplish this not just with a loom, but with a Big Ass Loom. Look!!! They also invented the doorstop.

If somebody said, "Hey, I'm going to take you to a place more exciting than you'd like", and then proceeded to take me to an antique shop, I'd also look at them sideways.

Don't put up an "advertising" for something "exciting" and then give us a bunch of Boring Ass Crap.

If the blurb would have said, "Here's something else about everyday life in the realms". Okay, then it wouldn't even register.

Then, when I mention that it was totally, absolutely mundane, and that it didn't pique my interest. I'm told that it's not all about fantasy combat, and Diablo.:yawn:

Last edited:

slobster

Hero
If somebody said, "Hey, I'm going to take you to a place more exciting than you'd like", and then proceeded to take me to an antique shop, I'd also look at them sideways.

Bad example, man. Anyone in a fantasy world who takes you to an antique shop claiming it's full of excitement and adventure is almost certainly telling the truth. Especially if they are old, a woman, or have an exotic accent. An ancient Chinese man or old woman with a thick gypsy accent is pretty much guaranteed to be dragging around artifacts by the cartload.

Just don't buy the monkey's paw.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases