Pathfinder 1E What is Paizo going to do when 5E comes out?

Dark Mistress

First Post
Well what Paizo does depends a lot on what happens. There is three likely possibilities that will make a huge difference on what Paizo does or doesn't do.

1) DnD Next is a flop and Pathfinder grows. In this case I think you see no changes or very little.
2) DnD Next does ok and while some people leave Pathfinder, some others join. So it ends up as Status Quo. In this case you might see them adopt some new elements of the popular parts of 5e, like backgrounds or magic rituals etc.
3) DnD Next is a huge success. That's when things would get interesting. Paizo is a fairly small company and need much smaller profit to be profitable. But still I am sure they would react the question is how. PFRPG 2.0? Maybe.

I just have doubts they would make support books for DnD Next, mostly because Lisa and others have said to often they don't want to be at the mercy of someone else's business decisions. If they support another companies game and said game gets a new edition it can have a huge impact on Paizo and force them to make drastic changes. Having gone threw that once I don't think they are eager to repeat it.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I think 5E will be very successful at the start - but not sustainably successful for WotC's needs. I expect it will be a lot like 4E's cycle (great start, then meh) unless they do something markedly different in their support strategy.

Personally, I have no interest in 5E at this point (though I admit I am loving their current offerings and very much looking forward to buying the 1E Unearthed Arcana book next year if it sees the light of day). Pathfinder is fine, and I love that I can still use my extensive 3.x library with it without much effort. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases