Small Beginnings

Balesir

Adventurer
In general, yes, but I think he does miss one important point about very early play. When I was playing OD&D - I had been playing crude, tabletop wargames for some time based on books I had borrowed from the local library by Don Featherstone and Charles Grant and others - we didn't use metal miniatures, as such, because they were expensive and not that easy for us to get hold of. But this doesn't mean we were playing (what would now be called) "theatre of the mind"; we used dice, tiddleywinks, Airfix figures and other stuff to represent characters and monsters. This was nothing revolutionary; I/we had been using DIY stuff for wargames for some while - I remember painstakingly drawing top-down 'figures' of Greek hoplites and Macedonian cavalrymen on pieces of cardboard in my bedroom, as a kid, so that I could play ancient wargames with them.

Just because we didn't have minis doesn't mean that the idea of having no physical representation of "where folks were" seemed viable to us at all. I still remember a scene in a classroom where a model dragon (provided by the DM, who had an actual fantasy wargame army in metal minis!) took pride of place, surrounded and being assaulted by a motley selection of dice, Airfix Romans and Ancient Britons and a few chits of card... The dragon's treasure was a piece of card coloured with gold crayon, and the cave outline was, I think, drawn on a sheet of art paper with a marker pen. Fairly sophisticated, really, considering this must have been around 1976.

Shadeydm

First Post
I first fell in love with the idea of minis when playing a new game called Axis & Allies back in 1984. Started using them on and off in my AD&D games not long after. Nothing was more satisfying than rolling into Russia with giant stack of tanks!

Mattachine

Adventurer
I often point out D&D's origins to folks that despise minis, or malign later editions as being too-focused on them.

Only 2nd edition de-emphasized minis. I had thousands for AD&D, and the tactical rules were written with miniatures in mind.

Good article.

sgt-d

Banned
Banned
I often point out D&D's origins to folks that despise minis, or malign later editions as being too-focused on them.

Only 2nd edition de-emphasized minis. I had thousands for AD&D, and the tactical rules were written with miniatures in mind.

Good article.

And yet the Ral Partha AD&D minis released during 2E were the best ones released for the game! (not disagreeing with you, just grinning at the irony)

Mattachine

Adventurer
Hah!
I liked the earlier Ral Partha stuff, probably because that was when I started collecting (about 1979), and they were WAY better than what Grenadier made back then.

Grenadier did get much better through the 80s. I had the entire dragon collection, including Tiamat.

sgt-d

Banned
Banned
Hah!
I liked the earlier Ral Partha stuff, probably because that was when I started collecting (about 1979), and they were WAY better than what Grenadier made back then.

Grenadier did get much better through the 80s. I had the entire dragon collection, including Tiamat.

Grenadier's late 80s & 90s output was incredible. The dragons were some of the best, and I'm still looking for the many awesome sculpts of Julie Guthrie from them. I wish they were still around.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases