D&D 5E Sacred Shooter

gyor

Legend
I've decided to come up with an archer that doesn't use the archer specialty.

Race: Elf
Subrace: Wood Elf

Class: Fighter
Fighting Style: Sharpshooter

Specialty: Alcolyte
Background: Priest

Manuevers: Deadly Strike, Parry, Precision Shot, Snap Shot, Shift.

Maxed out dex, with Intelligence or wisdom next.

The key to this is snap shot, it makes using a standard action to use Santified weapon or cast a minor spell less painful.

Iniate of the faith gives me two spells and I pick Lance of Faith and Death's Door.

So by level five on an average turn I can use Deadly strike for striker like 2d8 damage.

If something hits me hard before my turn I can parry 2d8 damage of it, making my character even tougher.

Precision Shot helps me with hitting creatures with partial cover.

Snap Shot is golden, I can use Santified Weapon to grant my bow holy damage and an option to sacrifice that to reroll an attack, and still get to attack that turn. Also if I have to use death's door on an ally I can still attack. And against minion like monsters I can blast one with Lance of Faith and hit another with snap,shot.

Oh and because Snap Shot is an ranged attack, it can triggers my, shift manuever. And if I get hit after using those two I can still parry with my remaining dice (okay I need to be higher then level 5 to,have enough dice for Parrying, but still cool).

Oh and Santified Weapon means I won't be disavantaged against Skeletons, instead of dealing with piercing resistance, I'll be exploiting holy vulnerablity for example.

This is a very cool fighter and the 5e fighter is the first fighter I've ever wanted to play.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
Nice build, I like it. One of the nicest things I've seen in 5th Edition is the ease of differentiating characters through class, race, specialty and background. Fighters will look very different based on their selections.

gyor

Legend
Thanks guys!

Another thing this character can do is move, hustle, shift, and finish with snap shot. A wild elf has 35 feet movement, the highest movement of any subrace so far, so that's 80 feet of movement, 10 of which ignores opportunity attacks, plus a minor attack.

By level ten, which we've heard will have expertise dice of 4d12.

My wild elf Sacred will be able to do the above, including a snap shot of 1d12, shift, and still have 2d12 left for parrying.

halflings normal movement is what 20 feet.

By level ten Sacred Shot normal damage with a long bow is 4d12, plus,1d10 damage, plus dex.

Or parry 4d12 damage.

Question, can deadly shot be used with Snap Shot?

slobo777

First Post
Question, can deadly shot be used with Snap Shot?

As written, I'd say yes. There are no rules for when to spend Expertise Dice, other than use during a maneuver. And no restrictions on using a maneuver other than being able to take actions in general.

From Deadly Strike: When you hit a creature with a weapon attack

From Snap Shot: you can spend a single expertise die to make a ranged attack

So technically the Snap Shot attack meets the requirements for triggering Deadly Strike.

This may be unintentional or a loophole though. I would personally expect there to be an "Improved Snap Shot" that gave you the option to use more dice at higher level.

This is the first iteration of the published Combat Superiority rules - I think they have been quite generous with scope and power level, to encourage the options to be used and get feedback other than "looked weak, didn't try it". Expect a few tweaks!

GameDoc

Explorer
I think you're spot on.

It's seems that the way fighters are intended to do their version of resource management is figuring out when and where to spend expertise dice, particularly once they have more than one per round. Spilling them up to pull off two maneuvers like this is what they are for.

Just like a melee fighter has to decide if he wants to put them all into damaging the monster he just hit, or hold one back to parry if he gets hit when the monster lashes back on its turn.

Evenglare

Adventurer
These are my favorite classes to play. Sort of a paladin like ranger... there ( to my knowledge) has only been one videogame to ever offer them and that is lineage 2 calling them a silver ranger. Such a cool concept.

gyor

Legend
As written, I'd say yes. There are no rules for when to spend Expertise Dice, other than use during a maneuver. And no restrictions on using a maneuver other than being able to take actions in general.

From Deadly Strike: When you hit a creature with a weapon attack

From Snap Shot: you can spend a single expertise die to make a ranged attack

So technically the Snap Shot attack meets the requirements for triggering Deadly Strike.

This may be unintentional or a loophole though. I would personally expect there to be an "Improved Snap Shot" that gave you the option to use more dice at higher level.

This is the first iteration of the published Combat Superiority rules - I think they have been quite generous with scope and power level, to encourage the options to be used and get feedback other than "looked weak, didn't try it". Expect a few tweaks!

Thanks wasn't sure, because I thought it might be like glancing blow which says you can't stack any effects onto a glancing blow, because it doesn't count as a hit.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases