[D&D Next] Misfits of the Sharn Watch OOC

mcmillan

Adventurer
I'm still around, just been busy for since the maintainence finished up. Welcome to the newcomers.

Sure! We don't have to get too fancy. I think that Taelvosh sounds like an up-and-comer, so his liaison position with the Sharn Watch usually involves dealing with the more civilized area of the city. Upon hearing of the current crisis, though, he found all of a sudden that his superiors in the House are eager to have him join the strike force heading into No Man's Land.

Part of this is because a gang war would be a setback for the House's commercial operations, and they (unlike some of the other Dragonmarked Houses) don't have strong relations with the criminal elements of Sharn. So this is their best bet of stopping the war and keeping their operations profitable.

On another level, they have been hearing some suspicious rumors from the Undercity with regards to anti-Dragonmarked extremists operating there. Again, unfortunately, their contacts in Sharn's underbelly are rather undeveloped. This is a rare chance for them to send one of their own people deep into the Undercity while enjoying official sanction and protection. You don't have any hard leads to chase, just a general directive to keep your eyes open for any suspicious activities that might be aimed at the Dragonmarked Houses as you go about your official mission.

OK, so a little fancier than I thought at first. Interested? It's hardly necessary that you include this stuff, it's just some fin color for your character if you like the sound of it.

Sounds like some good ideas to tie into things.

I'm leaning towards the university-funded adventurer, since that seems like an easy tie-in for the quest.
I decided to use a quarterstaff. I don't think I've ever played a staff fighter. This should be fun.
Looks like a nice character, I'm interested to see how a fighter with the lurker theme plays, since I had also considered that same combination.

I could also see some connections with Taelvosh, if you relied on House Lyrandar for transportation on expeditions. As an alternative, it could make sense that my superiors wanted to bring in someone they were familiar with that also knows the way around the undercity. Feel free to keep an independent character if that doesn't strike you though.

NiClerigo

Adventurer
Hi, I just found this thread and would like to know if there is still room for an additional player. I love Eberron and have read several novels in the line, but I must admit that I have only played 2E, reason why I have not had the chance to play in it.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
I could also see some connections with Taelvosh, if you relied on House Lyrandar for transportation on expeditions.

I could work with that. I see Faein as a true adventurer, in it for riches and excitement. A little bit brash and overconfident, too. Would she and Taelvosh have met before, or would they be meeting for the first time?

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Hey guys, work is being crazy with no end in sight until Thanksgiving.

Go ahead without me, sorry I've kept you hanging.

Lunaticos non carborundum -- Don't let the crazies grind you down.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

We're really running low on potential players here.
If anyone else would prefer to play a wizard, I'm starting to design a cleric to replace Ortley Oldbrook if it becomes worthwhile to swap out.
Here's what I have cobbled together so far:

Holman Highhat, male STOUT HALFLING Cleric of Yondalla (Sun Domain).
Background: Charlatan - Specialty: Jack of All Trades.
TWO ORISONS: "Death's Door" from class, "Radiant Lance" from Sun Domain.
"Short" [sic] description: "Balanced, Ignoble, and Far-Faced"

Background Skills: Bluff, Insight, Sleight of Hand.
Class Skill: Religious Lore
Specialty Feat: Skill Training in Stealth.

Studded Leather Armor: AC 13 + DEX mod. (max. 2)
Melee weapon: Club ("stout" walking stick) 1d4 bludgeoning
Missile weapon: Sling: 1d4 bludgeoning, Range 30/120

In other news: nicolas.carrillos has expressed interest in joining this group, and possesses knowledge of Eberron which I completely lack. As I mentioned before: now that we have lost Walking Dad, fermuch, and The Shadow, I wanted to leave open the class possibilities as much as I can so MortalPlague and nicolas (if acceptable) can choose more freely. (Still no word from seven, apparently.)

I won't bother rolling stats for Holman until we know whether he' s needed. If things here keep on the way they have been, it won't be until next week that we can get a party together; and by that time other cleric domains (and wizard "traditions") might become available.

Last edited:

slobster

Hero
Yeah, with all the craziness going on with site maintenance, combined with player turnover, I was thinking that we might as well wait until the new playtest stuff comes out. Hopefully that shiny new stuff will get people excited about the playtest again!

Li Shenron

Legend
[MENTION=61026]tuxgeo[/MENTION] why are you giving up the Wizard character? I have been sketching out both a Cleric and a Rogue, because those were missing and I was waiting to know which one The Shadow would prefer. If you now prefer to play the Cleric then I'll be the Rogue, but if you still prefer the Wizard then I'll be the Cleric. Let me know.

Here's a very short summary of the two characters I've made (stats are ready but I still have to pick the names:

#1- A young LG human Cleric devoted to the Sovereign Host pantheon. Lived for years cloistered in a monastery where he dedicated himself to amanuensis and herbalist works (Sage background, Healer specialty), until blessed by the gods and started displaying spellcasting abilities (Sun domain). He was then ordered by the monastery abbott to leave the cloistered life for a while, and the abbott arranged his joining the Sharn Watch.

#2- A middle-aged human Rogue who was previously a veteran in the war* (Soldier background) but after the end of it found himself unable to secure a decent occupation in life and lived in the slums of various cities (Thug scheme, Survivor specialty). Found by some of his former seniors in the army, was given the chance to reinstate himself by joining the Sharn Watch. Should be NG but still has behavioural issues (may act often more like N, and swings between L and C equally depending on the mood).

*I don't know how much time has passed since the "Last War" in this campaign... if too long, then this backstory might not fit with a human lifespan

About the Rogue, I've noticed that someone else has the Thief background so I didn't want to overlap with his trapfinding abilities, this is why I made it essentially a Fighter/Rogue type.

NiClerigo

Adventurer
If I can join I'd like to know what classes are needed. If possible, I would like to play as a purified (follower of the Silver Flame), preferrably a cleric, although I could play any other class. I could also be an inquisitive (detective) of any class, and would like to be originally from Thrane

tuxgeo

Adventurer
@tuxgeo why are you giving up the Wizard character? I have been sketching out both a Cleric and a Rogue, because those were missing and I was waiting to know which one The Shadow would prefer. If you now prefer to play the Cleric then I'll be the Rogue, but if you still prefer the Wizard then I'll be the Cleric. Let me know.
<snip>

@Li Shenron , I'm not definitely giving up on the wizard. My first preference is to play that wizard.

However, I was starting to feel a bit frustrated about the amount of time it was taking for us to get a complete party together, and I was offering to give up the wizard spot in case another player greatly preferred playing wizards, and might not play otherwise -- so we could move on and start playing.

In short: better to give up the wizard and actually play than to retain the wizard and not play because the party then collapses due to lack of interest.

Edit to add: It has only been a month, and we've already lost 4 players. That's one player per week -- seems dire to me.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases