D&D 5E What's the closest system to D&D Next that is currently available?

Quickleaf

Legend
A question for play testers:

I like what I'm reading of D&D Next and would consider using it for my next game with my reassembled gaming group, except that there aren't enough classes or levels (we'd be continuing our story) for our tastes.

So is there a system currently being sold that in your opinion is very similar to D&D Next?

Or perhaps a pile of homebrew Next stuff that fits the bill?

Tony Vargas

Legend
The current (2nd packet) playtest rules are closer to 3e in general feel than any other prior ed of D&D. Pathfinder is a 3.5 retro-clone. I'm sure other d20 offerings might be similar. None of them will have 'bounded accuracy' though. Ironically, the closest thing to that in D&D's history is the 4e treadmill: If you take 4e, and strip out level bonuses, expertise feats, and stat bumps, and reduce monster attacks/defenses by their level, you're pretty darn close (though minions become redundant).

Quickleaf

Legend
The current (2nd packet) playtest rules are closer to 3e in general feel than any other prior ed of D&D. Pathfinder is a 3.5 retro-clone. I'm sure other d20 offerings might be similar. None of them will have 'bounded accuracy' though. Ironically, the closest thing to that in D&D's history is the 4e treadmill: If you take 4e, and strip out level bonuses, expertise feats, and stat bumps, and reduce monster attacks/defenses by their level, you're pretty darn close (though minions become redundant).

I've only read through the core book once, but Castles & Crusades is a contender, I think. Or if it wasn't for it's lack of levels: Pathfinder Beginner's Box.

3e, 1e/OD&D, 4e...:confused: Maybe 5e really is for everybody! :)

And here I was expecting an answer like 13th Age (yeah, I know, still in playtest too), rather than other editions of D&D. Hmm.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
The next D&D Next packet isn't far off, and it'll have levels 1 through 10, magic items, and more options. Depending on when you start, that may be enough for you.

Quickleaf

Legend
The next D&D Next packet isn't far off, and it'll have levels 1 through 10, magic items, and more options. Depending on when you start, that may be enough for you.

Really? That's exciting, when is it the next packet due to be released?

EDIT: According to over the Next WotC group (http://community.wizards.com/dndnext), the next playtest packet, whenever it is released, will probably only address the six classes out so far: sorcerer, warlock, wizard, cleric, rogue, and fighter. I sure wish there were more classes, but we might be able to adapt it for our use, I'll have to see.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases