D&D 5E What's the closest system to D&D Next that is currently available?

Quickleaf

Legend
Just so it doesn't get lost: Does anyone know when the next 5e playtest packet is supposed to be released?

I'm looking at ways I could run 5e yet still create the feel of an abundance of classes with just the six that are being publicly playtested now. IOW, how might I suggest players approximate their favorite classes? (with the minimum amount of home brewing) Are there'd multi-classing rules out there, either being playtested or unofficially done by the community?

My sense is that just by homebrewing a "wilderness/nature themed" background & a "Leader" specialty, plus multi-classing, that most classes could be covered.

For me, Next comes across as 3e rules with a strong 2e feel... and a good chunk of pleasing new stuff. Since - apart from the actual rules! - I enjoyed 2e quite a bit, I'm really digging Next.

And yes, they've repeatedly said that the next packet will be out sometime in October.

While you won't really be able to kludge whatever sort of ranger (for example) they're going to come up with, you can certainly fake an earlier-edition ranger by making up a suitable background and taking an appropriate specialty.

Likewise, a War domain cleric is close enough to a paladin to tide you over, I'd think.

slobo777

First Post
So far, the playtest material reminds me of the child of BECMI and 3e.

That's my feeling too.

I'd recommend to OP to try and have fun with playtest material as-is plus homebrew rather than battle against differences (that may or may not be important to the group) in other versions. It's difficult to tell which parts of 5E appeal to you, and thus which is really the "closest" version for your purposes. If you like at-will spells and the hit dice healing for instance, only 4E really has both (although I think Pathfinder has at-will spells for PCs).

Quickleaf

Legend
Wow! Answers are all over the place...

2e + 3e
1e + 4e
BECMI + 3e
2e + 4e
Radiance

I'm not sure what to take away from that :confused: Maybe just that 5e feels like a mix of old school D&D and streamlined new school design philosophies?

I'd recommend to OP to try and have fun with playtest material as-is plus homebrew rather than battle against differences (that may or may not be important to the group) in other versions. It's difficult to tell which parts of 5E appeal to you, and thus which is really the "closest" version for your purposes. If you like at-will spells and the hit dice healing for instance, only 4E really has both (although I think Pathfinder has at-will spells for PCs).
Yeah, what I like is that it feels like classic D&D, appears that I could run the game (particularly combat) pretty quick, and doesn't overwhelm players with powers and sticks to special abilities that are actually meaningful. I've got a big group that meets intermittently, so I need to be able to run an adventure in one session. Also, no one is that interested in learning a new game system - when they want to play D&D they want familiar trappings - which Next does have.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases