[LPF] School Days

sunshadow21

Explorer
"You're not testing the machine itself, we already know that works. You're testing the new curriculum that will utilize the machine. Although, I suppose technically, every single use of the machine is in some ways testing it's capabilities, so I guess you're not entirely off."

Qik

First Post
"Hmm, don't need any fire at the moment, but as long as bringing the life out if things is conjuration and not necromancy, I think we could certainly use your talents."

Ni contemplates this for a moment, and then nods vigorously. "Yes yes yes, that's what most people call it, 'conjuration.' I suppose I'm not a fan of that term, really, although I don't mean to quibble, in general, and with an esteemed academic, in particular, since what I do seems to me to rely on the, ah, the, ah, the...inherent life that is already there and implicit in what's around us, but, anyway, yes yes, 'conjuration' it is." The gnome returns to listening as Dr. Catslove elaborates, with growing interest.

"Fascinating," gushes the gnome. "Really, truly. So yes yes yes, I would love to help you test this out. I have never experienced an, uh, 'simulated reality.' So please," Ni says, clapping his hands enthusiastically, "let's do it."

"I do have some questions though. When you say that we 'cannot directly interact with the environment,' what exactly does that mean? Can I lift a stone, or move a branch, or can my friend Lu - my 'eidolon,' if you will - strike a creature that would do us harm? What are our limits to interacting?"

"Which itself begs the question: how real is this reality? How dangerous is it to us? Are there safeguards?"

[sblock=OOC]Sounds hella fun, ss21.

I've seen a lot of Star Trek in my day, and my thoughts are turning to those episodes where the safeties go off in the holodeck, and Worf takes a bullet or something...[/sblock]

nimientioquijuil-smaller-e1336011034261.png
lumoies-e1336011022912.png
[sblock=Stats]Nimientioquijuil
HP: 30/30
AC: 17 (Touch: 13, Flat-footed: 15)
CMB: 0 CMD: 12 Fort: +3, Ref: +5, Will: +5 (+7 vs Illusions)
Perception: +2
Initiative: +2

Current Weapon in Hand: None

Summon Monster I: 6/11
Spells:
- 0: DC 16; Infinite
- 1: DC 17; 5/5
- 2: DC 18; 2/3

Active Magic:
- Summon Monster II - Earth Elemental

Eidolon: Summoned
HP: 20/20
Eidolon AC: 21 (Touch: 13; FF: 18)
CMB: +5 CMD: 17 Fort: +4 Ref: +5 Will: +0
Perception: +8
Initiative: +3

Natural Weapons:
- Bite:
+5, 1d6+3
- 2 Claws: +5, 1d4+3[/sblock]​

sunshadow21

Explorer
"Ah, excellent, it will take a while to set it up all, and of course, you will want a chance to properly prepare, so let us plan for the test first thing tomorrow morning. There are a few forms you will need to sign, mostly disclaimers giving the school legal protections as long as the test stays within it's normal bounds (administration insists on these; there is no getting around it),and the rest are to determine your rough capability level so that we can provide an appropriate level of challenge.

As for the limitations, while in the environments, you cannot interact with the creatures and they cannot interact with you. The only exception to this is creatures that you summon; you can communicate and interact with them as normal, and they can interact with the creatures in the environment. Magic will have the effects you would normally expect, though, once again, you cannot directly target any creatures other than your summons with your magic, nor will area of effect spells effect any creatures other than those you summoned. You, your familiars, and your eidolons still interact with the rest of the environment (the plants, gravity, etc), as normal, though if anything should happen to shape the environment in such a way as to kill you, the program would be stopped, or in your case, the effect will be removed as if it never happened.

If you trigger the guardians of the safe, it's battle, treat it accordingly; once you have all eight keys the environments will be deactivated at the same time you are given the final clues, so it will be a straight up fight against a reasonably challenging foe in a basic room. If you feel like you are getting in trouble, you can step out into the library, and the battle will be considered over. In the student's case, this will impact their grade; in your case, I promise that you will get paid regardless of the outcome, so really, if it comes down to it, feel free to end it without feeling shame. It's a test run; any result is beneficial to us. Also, if the guardians would deal a normally fatal blow, the program automatically ends, and the battle is over with you still standing.

Are there any other questions? I apologize for the paperwork, but it is a necessary evil, I'm afraid." She finishes up as she hands both of you a stack of papers she had pulled out of the many stacks of paper on her desk. Each one has a few basic aptitude and general knowledge tests, a basic questionaire about your capabilities, and standard disclaimer forms. It's clear that they take their precautions very seriously. There is also a voucher for up to 500 gp worth of goods from the on campus "store" should you wish to procure some potions or scrolls.

Qik

First Post
"First thing tomorrow sounds good!" exclaims Ni. "As do forms: I had to fill out my share when I first traveled to the mainland, so I know what that's all about."

"Everything sounds good, madam,"
Ni says with a bow. "We shall see you tomorrow!" With that, Ni turns and heads out of Dr. Catslove's office.

[sblock=OOC]Thanks for the patience, gents. Still need to finalize Ni's leveling (mostly just settling on a feat, and finishing shopping); cross my heart that I'm working on it. I blame real life; hopefully my posting will get much better as I adapt to my new work schedule.

Scott: I appreciate the offer to email, but would you mind just discussing in this thread? It wouldn't ruin any immersion for me, and since it's just the three of us, I don't thikn we have to worry about derailing things for anyone else.

Sounds like the knowledge skills will be pretty important. Beyond that, I'm not sure what direction to take your spell selection in, besides buffs (for Ni's summons) in case of combat. Here are a few random thoughts:

- Protection from Evil
- Comprehend Languages (Scroll? Ni knows a lot, but lacks Abyssal and Infernal; probably won't be needed, but hey, you never know)
- Obscuring Mist
- See Invisibility
- Share Language
- Detect Thoughts
- Invisibility (Ni has it, and I like the idea of both of them disappearing if needed)
- Fox's Cunning (Knowledge skill bonus; might not be worth a spell slot, just a thought).

Some illusion spells might be good, too. Let me know your thoughts.[/sblock]

nimientioquijuil-smaller-e1336011034261.png
lumoies-e1336011022912.png
[sblock=Stats]Nimientioquijuil
HP: 30/30
AC: 17 (Touch: 13, Flat-footed: 15)
CMB: 0 CMD: 12 Fort: +3, Ref: +5, Will: +5 (+7 vs Illusions)
Perception: +2
Initiative: +2

Current Weapon in Hand: None

Summon Monster I: 6/11
Spells:
- 0: DC 16; Infinite
- 1: DC 17; 5/5
- 2: DC 18; 2/3

Active Magic:
- Summon Monster II - Earth Elemental

Eidolon: Summoned
HP: 20/20
Eidolon AC: 21 (Touch: 13; FF: 18)
CMB: +5 CMD: 17 Fort: +4 Ref: +5 Will: +0
Perception: +8
Initiative: +3

Natural Weapons:
- Bite:
+5, 1d6+3
- 2 Claws: +5, 1d4+3[/sblock]​

sunshadow21

Explorer
[sblock=ooc]Bear in mind that for most of it, you're not going to be able to directly impact the creatures, and anything done to yourself is going to be limited in usefulness. Spells that effect the environment, not a specific target, are going to be just as important as those you suggested.[/sblock]

Remove ads