Gaming W/Jemal: Planar Quest! (Closed)

Which Setting would you prefer Jemal to DM?

• Meh, Neither grabs my attention.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Poll closed .

Jemal

Adventurer
Quick post then gotta scoot:
[MENTION=63746]Binder Fred[/MENTION] Actually I use d20srd, which keeps up to date and doesn't include any home brew, unlike the D&D wiki.
Feats :: d20srd.org

Roaring is a +1 Armor property from the MIC (p.14) which I added to the <checks> *Bracers* of Armor component of Ur's Torc of Dragon Scales. It gives +4 competence bonus to initiative and auto return of non-magical range weapons that do 10 dam or less (took it almost entirely for the ini bonus, though I guess the second part *could* be useful if we ever face a massed army of commoners ).
Actually, I don't allow armor properties on bracers, only the straight enhancements. I know there's a rule somewhere (MIC maybe?) that allows for it, but I feel it's wrong.. It's part of what keeps bracers balanced with armour.. the armour has weight, armour check penalty, spell failure, and class restrictions but allows usage of the armour properties. I think it's a fair trade.

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Actually I use d20srd, which keeps up to date and doesn't include any home brew, unlike the D&D wiki.
Well that makes Quicken Power a lot less useful then (as it can now only be used to advantage on 4 of my 10 powers known)... I'll have to think about it. Maybe Shock Trooper is the way to go after all.

Actually, I don't allow armor properties on bracers, only the straight enhancements. I know there's a rule somewhere (MIC maybe?) that allows for it, but I feel it's wrong.. It's part of what keeps bracers balanced with armour.. the armour has weight, armour check penalty, spell failure, and class restrictions but allows usage of the armour properties. I think it's a fair trade.
Goodby little torc of dragons. <sniff>

Shayuri

First Post
I shall read the RG at once.

As for 'orientalizing' the game world, I think it works fine if my character is from a far off/exotic locale. Perhaps there's something like a Silk Road in the world, where trade between the distant Empire and this land can flow.

My character's quest then took her here, partly in search of knowledge outside the realm, and partly to help her avoid 'Imperial Entanglements.' At least for much of her adventures. More recently, the faction that she was up against was outmanuevered, allowing her more free access to her homeland. Of course, by then she liked it here too. :)

Okay, assuming we go with Binder's framework, which seems very good to me, then I'd install a natural barrier to Rauland opposite the border with Dorminth; a mountain range spanning the eastern side of the country. On the other side of those mountains is a desert...and through that desert, if one knows the ways, one can eventually arrive at a place who's name comes roughly to Eternal Empire of the Jade Throne, or sometimes by an older name Under the Five Pillars of Heaven. The 'pillars' are a ring of tall, unusually narrow mountains that surround the Empire's outer perimeter, creating a barrier of sorts that helps keep it moist and temperate despite the nearby arid area...as well as forming a natural defense against intruders.

Trade with the Eternal Empire comes via merchants who pay desert tribes to convey them along routes that use the few oases in carefully planned legs that allow them to cross the barren white sands without, quite, dehydrating. The goods that come from this are luxury goods, in fashion with the wealthy who are always in search of something new that their peers don't have or can't get...and can pay the exorbitant sums that would entice a man to take the monumental risk of making that journey.

When Mei Ying made the crossing, it was in disgrace; one of the few survivors of a monastic tradition that was found to be heretical in its teachings. In disguise she went with the caravan through the desert and across the treacherous mountain pass until she took refuge in the trading city on the other side. During a raid on that city by monstrous creatures, she revealed herself...and later that evening had to fend off an assassin that had also waited in the caravan, hoping to find his quarry among the workers. Having helped the other members of the group during the attack, they now helped her against her assailant. She elected to go with them after that, and had many adventures at their side.

Eventually, when she grew strong enough, she returned to the shadow of the Five Pillars of Heaven, and confronted the faction that had persecuted the order she'd belonged to...calling for their conflicting beliefs to be put to the test in a sanctioned trial of combat.

After a difficult, grueling battle that tested her to her limits, Mei Ying restored the honor of her tradition and exposed the crimes of her enemies. However, after doing what she could to set her order back on its path, she found that the monastic life no longer appealed to her. The world was so much bigger than the cradle of the Pillars, and she could not help but feel it was now a cage.

It was time to move on again, to bigger things, and higher places.

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
BF: You could still use the torc minus Roaring, and if you just want an init boost, I'll give it to you for.. 5k?

Shayuri : If you want the greater runestaff I used with +5 enhancement and 3/day uses, I had it figured at 97,800 - Though that was without the erratad cost change.
With the erratad cost, it'd be closer to 120.. I'd have to redo the math and don't have time now. Tell ya what, +5 enhancement, Spells 2/day, and normal Smite/ +2 luck bonus for 100K sound good?

ALL: In case people didn't see it before (It is last in a long series of posts I made), I'm reposting this:

NOW, as far as story goes - I'm liking how you guys have been building off each other, maybe a bit more of how you got together?

Also, I'm going to say one thing for sure - the Rauland drought was NOT the most recent adventure, though may have been the first time all of you worked together. The last adventure you were on is from the plot, so I'll be giving you the info on it, for now I'll just tell you that it was an epic war against a powerful Arch-Lich.

As far as the 'clues' that will start you on your planar quest, I have a question for all of you :
Would you prefer me to actually give you clues/riddles and let you guys figure it out,
OR
Start after you've 'put it together', and tell you what your characters have figured out so you can start the adventuring part.

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
***Snip***​

As far as the 'clues' that will start you on your planar quest, I have a question for all of you :
Would you prefer me to actually give you clues/riddles and let you guys figure it out,
OR
Start after you've 'put it together', and tell you what your characters have figured out so you can start the adventuring part.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION]: The trading city mentioned below by you, can Gerard be from that city? Perhaps we met there? It fits the mix of 'western name' (Gerard Hampton) but 'eastern organization'.

When Mei Ying made the crossing, it was in disgrace; one of the few survivors of a monastic tradition that was found to be heretical in its teachings. In disguise she went with the caravan through the desert and across the treacherous mountain pass until she took refuge in the trading city on the other side.

[sblock=a simple title]
(The Ancient Esoteric Arcane Order of the Jade Dragon Warriors) or Jade Dragons for short.
[/sblock]

EDIT: re: Gerard's homeland Rauland (Acknowledgements: Binder Fred and Shayuri)

if he is from a trade city, it could be a city state, located on the Gulf of Raksasa (*1), south of the Dwarvin Mountain range [The Gaarstadt Bjerge (*2)]. To the east [hopefully ] is the land of Under the Five Pillars of Heaven with the desert of Pergeseran Tanah (*3) between.

translations:
*1: Indonesian for Leviathan
*2: danish for Mountains
*3: Indonesian for shifting lands

Last edited:

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Riddle me up, scottie- I mean - Jemalie. ;)

Shapping up nicely re backgrounds, folks. :) So, since we *are* going for a foreign legion feel (with only Gerard as a true local), what should we go for for a party name? Stealing a bit from the japanese gaijins, how about "the Barbarian Legion"?

How about we make Braham, who seems to be the oldest/wisest amongst us, the founding member of the Legion? Loss some members (death, other pursuits, marriage), gained some new blood here and there until we get to the present line-up. what do you think, [MENTION=24234]kinem[/MENTION]?

Since noody's voluntereed for the job, I'm going to say that Ur locked on to <drum roll please> Gerard after his little bout with slavery! Still a very influencial person in Ur's life even now (you lucky dog you ;)).

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases