[Hobo's All Rogue Game] A Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy, Part I

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Feo makes a gesture of respect as he moves into the church. "I don't feel like staying around to confess my sins. I might be hear all day if I do. How's 'bout we go check on the innkeeper, Braz. I'm sure he's itching to have a heart to heart with us."

GlassEye

Adventurer
Lano snorts at Feo's suggestion of checking on the innkeeper, Braz.

"If you know where he headed off to, by all means..."

Lano pauses and listens to the gruff singing trying to determine whether it is just an idle occupation to make tasks pass more quickly or if it is supposed to be actual worship. He glances around to see what deity or collection of deities are honored in this structure, tilts his head to either side to stretch his neck, takes a deep breath and settles into himself as he exhales and closes his eyes. When he slowly opens his eyes there seems to be a change in his posture and attitude. He sniffs loudly and strides deeper into the church.

Lano's Sheet

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Feo shrugs at Dolan/Lando's snark comment. "It's a small village, and he's a well known and slow moving man. And he's got to return to his business sometime. Perhaps one of the people here are a neighbor of his."

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Brick doesn't know what to do so stands dumb-founded between buildings. "In? Not in? What do I do?"

OOC: Sorry he probably isn't this dumb with an 8 for INT, just going to play him as dull tactician though. My OOC vote is to go into the church, but Brick will follow his brothers lead of course.

I'm going to assume that Lano does in fact go inside, even though Feo answered his question. Because otherwise I don't have any update to make until you keep talking. :)

Lano pushes the door open. The church itself is small and nondescript--if not for the notable steeple-like structure topped with a bell, you wouldn't necessarily know it for a church. It's not clear if it's dedicated to anybody specifically, but given the size of the village and the non-descriptness of the church itself, it's most likely a "generic" church operated by a local friar with only tenuous ties to the big church headquarters in Terrasa.

In fact, inside you do see the friar--an elderly man with a dustbroom, who's going about the business of dusting a few uncomfortable-looking wooden pews and a few icons and statues. He's the one singing to himself as he works. He's wearing a pair of old trousers and a rough-spun habit. His nose is somewhat red and swollen, and his eyes are yellowed and slightly watery. You also notice an open and half-empty bottle of wine next to him. When the door opens, he turns towards you and squints--giving the impression that he doesn't see very well. "Eh? A bit late for spiritual advice, isn't it? Are you looking for something?"

The church itself seems to be mostly made up of a single large room with a high ceiling, lit by candles and a few small windows that jet the setting sun's rays across the room. A small altar sits at the far end. Behind the alter are doors leading to the friar's small quarters (presumably) and the belfry. Behind the alter are a few somewhat ratty old chairs and some bookcases, stuffed with an inordinate amount of books.

I don't know how many of your characters might have had a religious background of any sort, or gone to sunday school as kids or whatever, but if any of them did, they'd notice that the church layout seems pretty standard, if small and poor compared to examples from Porto Liure, or other, larger cities. The bookcase full of books is a bit unusual--the church here doesn't use much in the way of canon or scripture--although the friar drinking is not.

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
"Don't you worry yourself on our accounts, padre. We're just travelers come to pay our respects, though some of my prettier companions might have a question or two," Feo says. He then keeps a relaxed eye out the windows as he looks around, allowing for his better speaking companions to ask their questions of the priest.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Lano shoots Feo a dark glance but quickly moderates his expression and steps towards the friar. How am I to work a proper con when amateurs keep stepping on my toes?

"Oh, no. Errr... yes! A guard. I mean to say, oh dear, I really am too flustered to make sense! It was all so senseless and it happened so fast. I am nearly beside myself! They were bursting in and the innkeeper was running out and I thought they were going to kill the man... the blood!... but I think he got away and Ines was sprawled on the kitchen floor and I think she's dead! And I never payed for my night's lodging and I always pay my debts but Braz! Poor man! All bloody and on the run from those men and needing a healer..."

Lano takes deep gasping breaths as if he is on the edge of panic.

[sblock=OOC]Bluff: 1d20+11=30[/sblock]

Lano's Sheet

The friar grins a bit. "Ole Braz finally pushed things too far and his accounts had to be settled, eh? I've been telling him it'll come to that for years; everytime he complains about his situation. But he made his bed, now he'll have to lie in it.

But between us, what exactly happened
?"

GlassEye

Adventurer
Lano lets his breath whoosh out all in one go and makes a nervous shuffle.

"I was having an early drink at the tavern with a few others when the girl went into the kitchen. There was a thud and Braz got up and scooped up his ledgers and three men burst into the tavern. Braz made to take off out the back but one of the men caught him. They scuffled and I think Braz got clipped on the skull. There was... blood. He got away, ledgers in hand and well, I didn't stick around to see what the men did next. I'm devout and not ashamed to say that I make prayers to the gods. So I came here out of instinct and these fellows followed hoping to be able to help put things right. I'm afraid Braz may need some help. Now, situation? What does that mean?"

Lano's Sheet

Remove ads