Igria - Seeking Comments / Will Return the Favor

Note: I will read, provide comments on and test the game of anyone who will do that with igria.

I am working on a new game mechanic, one which uses card games (and the tarot deck) to determine outcomes rather than dice rolls. I am seeking feedback on this, as it develops.
---
[FONT=&quot]From the Opening;
[/FONT]
These modifications may be added to other card games, but do not otherwise alter the rules anymore than is required. Igria allows players to “petition” the game master for and get a type of card, or trade cards among themselves, depending on the power of the character. Experience points come from the cards actually played and it is possible to wager petitions, cards, XP and HP.

[FONT=&quot]From the Lexicon;
[/FONT]
Narrate: To successfully petition, a player must narrate; they must briefly describe what the character is doing in story terms, such as casting a spell, making particular martial attack, working with their or something similar. This narration should contribute to the story - matching the story’s tone and theme - and not consume too much time.
Petition: Asking for a specific card value from the game master (i.e. the dealer) or to ask to trade cads with another player is to petition for the card. It is not possible to petition for cards of the major arcana. The game master may petition for cards, in which case a player selects from the deck the cards of that value, places them face down at on the table and the game master selects one at random. The player reshuffles the deck. This occurs after placing a bet and requires narration. How often a player can petition for a card depends upon the level of the player character.
---
At this point the number of times a player may petition during a session matches their level, thus a third level character may petition the GM for a card, or trade cards with other players three times per game session... unless they win an extra petition during the game session.
Further, it may adapt some of the concepts from FATE or Fudge, such as aspects which will impact when a character may petition.

Last edited:

Karak

First Post
We are doing almost the exact same thing in my Kickstarter AfterEarth. I think using cards is great. Our GM Extension "Power Choice" is basically the same thing where the players can challange to get a higher card(higher result).

Fyi, we tried the level = number of cards for the exact amount of times a player could access a better card and it actually made it pretty unbalanced at higher levels, even with challenges that made it not guaranteed. I don't know how your levels work but players can quickly become almost invincible despite pecautions. That's why we went to a challenge system and connected a current skill to the number of times a player could do this, resulting in them never being able to do it more than a maximum of five times a game.

I wish you luck. Cards are just great for games.

I have not had a chance to test this yet - it is just in my head at this point.

So far what I have to limit unbalanced play is that the petitions are per-session, or an evening RPG session, which should include several rounds of poker. A player might get five petitions, make a royal flush and then be unable to petition again for the rest of the night - and they do not get to keep the hand, but only use it during a single round of poker.

Edit; Further, players may bluff or lie to each other about a trade - so Player A may ask for a 10, Player B says he has the card, the players trade cards face down but Player B lied and has passed over a 4. This still counts as a trade.

There may be more as this develops.

I will put a link to your kickstarter project on my blog.

Last edited:

[FONT=&quot]From the lexicon;
[/FONT]
Class Cards: Five cards from the major arcane represent each of the five classes in igria; namely the Magician (male magic users), Priestess (female magic users), Empress (female fighters), Emperor (monster handlers) and Hierophant (male fighters). These must be “won” upon first level for a character to achieve the level in the chosen class.

Karak

First Post
I have not had a chance to test this yet - it is just in my head at this point.

So far what I have to limit unbalanced play is that the petitions are per-session, or an evening RPG session, which should include several rounds of poker. A player might get five petitions, make a royal flush and then be unable to petition again for the rest of the night - and they do not get to keep the hand, but only use it during a single round of poker.

Edit; Further, players may bluff or lie to each other about a trade - so Player A may ask for a 10, Player B says he has the card, the players trade cards face down but Player B lied and has passed over a 4. This still counts as a trade.

There may be more as this develops.

I will put a link to your kickstarter project on my blog.

Ah I personally like the bluffing to the players. We have a bluff system but it involves PC to GM and not PC to PC. Good idea.
Thats a good add.

I see your limiting idea. Sounds like that may indeed take care of it.

4.1 Igria and Crazy Eights

Each participant receives eight cards. The dealer places the remaining cards face down in a stack at the center of the table. The top card is then turned face up to start the game.

Participants discard by matching rank or suit with the top card of the discard pile, starting with the participant to the left of the dealer. If a participant is unable to match the rank or suit of the top card of the discard pile and does not have an eight, they must draw cards from the stockpile until they get a card that they may play - when they draw a playable card, they must play it. If the stockpile runs out of cards and the participants still cannot play, then they must pass. When a participant plays an eight, he or she must declare the suit that the next participant is to play; that participant must then follow the named suit or play another eight.

4.1.1 Igria and Crazy Eights Example

Arrangement:
Paval (GM / Dealer) > Eli > Paval again…

Set Up:
Paval (GM / Dealer) is running “the Wheel of Fortune” (or a conflict involving fate) while Eli is involved in this conflict, but for story reasons Ivo and Hoyt sit out this game, which is to be a quick game. Paval is playing the Wheel of Fortune at “knight” rank, while Eli is also “dame,” meaning 20 hit points and less than 500 XP. Each may make a single petition or trade during this game.

The bring-in is set at 20-XP and both wager that amount. Paval deals the eight cards and turns over the top card, revealing a 6 [c].

Eli plays a 4 [c] and now has seven cards.
Paval does not have an 8, a 4 or a [c]. He draws three cards, still does not have any of those cards and then petitions himself for an 8. Eli draws the remaining 8s from the deck, places them face down on the table and Paval selects one. He plays it, an 8 . Paval now has 10 cards.
Eli plays a Q and now has six cards.
Paval plays an A and now has nine cards.
Eli plays a 2 and now has five cards.
Paval plays a Q and now has eight cards.
Eli plays a 5 and now has four cards.
Paval plays a 5 [p] and now has seven cards.
Eli plays a Kn [p] and now has three cards.
Paval plays a 9 [p] and now has six cards.
Eli plays her class card (Priestess; she narrates her character is calling upon her deity for assistance) as a wild card, naming it as an 8 and now has two cards.
Paval plays a Q and now has five cards.
Eli plays a 5 and now has one cards.
Paval plays a 5 [p] and now has four cards.
Eli plays a 10 and now has zero cards, winning the game without having to petition. She gets 67 XP from the pot and the cards she played.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases