A different apocalypse scenario

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Well, no delivery within 30 minutes, no, but I'm sure Amish Pizza Co could get you something within an hour or so. Especially if they use drivers on Rumspringa.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Unless the pop goes, you have to be off the beaten path or anything you have will be taken from you.

Think places like the Mississippi would be interesting places, even in a world without power. You would still have trade and travel up and down it, which would mean it could be one of the last strong holds of civilization.

Janx

Hero
Right, but the trick isn't to last 6 months to a year- that they can do- the trick is surviving until they can find, sow, grow and harvest enough different foodstuffs to be self-sufficient for year 2 and beyond.

and that's generally true for everybody. But it's like we're arguing that farmers can't survive that, when in comparison, they are the best positioned to do so.

If we can envision a cityboy surviving, it's not far fetched for a farmer being better prepared with guns to defend and hunt, and seeds he can plant, and existing crops he's stored away.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
But it's like we're arguing that farmers can't survive that, when in comparison, they are the best positioned to do so.

They ARE best positioned to do so, but it wouldn't be easy nor guaranteed.

Like I said, my family HAS a farm. I've seen that pantry and the personal garden.

The garden can provide a lot of things, but it can't provide EVERYTHING. That's why the pantry exists. And after a year or so of post-apocalyptic living, that pantry will be sorely depleted.

If they only have sterile seeds to plant- which is the current norm- they've got only one extra year or so of harvests to stretch out their food supplies. If they don't have livestock, or are not near another farmer who does, farmers in certain regions will have issues getting enough protein.

Yes, over time, wildlife will return to formerly cultivated land, but that takes TIME, the one thing they cannot do much about. That wildlife will be sparse until fences deteriorate and the native plants really start to reclaim the farms.

And hunting them will become increasingly difficult as ammo gets used up. Make your own? Sure, if you know how to make gunpowder from scratch using local supplies. What about bows or spears? Great, if you know how and you have trees big enough to supply you with the right sizes of wood. But you live on a farm, so most of the trees on your land have been cleared and those that remain are probably functional- fruit or nut supplying etc.

My point is that even though they're in the best position to survive, long term post-OOPS survival on a farm in a modernized country would still be long odds.

Last edited:

Remove ads