D&D 5E What should be the 5E default setting?

What should be the default setting for 5E?

• Something entirely new

Votes: 17 12.6%
  • 4E's Points of Light, Astral Sea/Elemental Chaos

Votes: 20 14.8%
  • 3E's Greyhawk/Planescape mash-up

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Greyhawk

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • Forgotten Realms

Votes: 16 11.9%
  • Dragonlance

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Ravenloft

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Eberron

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Some combination of the above settings

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Some setting not included in this poll

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • No default setting at all

Votes: 33 24.4%
  • It doesn't really matter

Votes: 5 3.7%

Shadeydm

First Post
I suspect it will be the Realms which is a little disappointing because I think its been a long long time since FR was a good setting in my mind (like org grey box long time).
I'd love to make an passionate case for Greyhawk to be rebooted to its org box set which is my all time favorite setting. Realistically Greyhawk has developed its own baggage over the years and probably shouldn't be the choice either.
If I were WotC I would make something new, light on detail with the very highest quality maps possible. I'd think about leaving the nations unmarked, cities and towns etc unnamed on the maps so people can really make it thier own, perhaps these could be sold seperatly from the box set?

Warbringer

Explorer
I'd love them to announce a new fan competition for a world, then the winner is the default world ... It would have to happen fairly soon though ...

GreyICE

Banned
Banned
I don't think its lack of new material so much a lack of new settings that are the center of the complaint.

Personally, I think WotC should learn from M:tG's process. Put out a new setting every year or two. Give us some skeletal framework in a setting guide and a new adventure path. Use it to feature whatever new mechanics or splat material you've come up with. We'll happily merge it with our own campaigns as we like. If one of 'em really takes off and is super-popular, then revisit it in a few years.

Tacking everything and anything into the Realms (or Greyhawk, or whatever) just seems to dilute those settings.

M:tG does have a different thing though. How do the jungle-streets of Gruul look in Ravnica? Uh... don't quite know. There's a map of Ravnica, and some card art, but overall it's just not something that makes sense. Where is Duskmantle, House of Shadow? I don't know. What guard stations do the Boros enforcers use on patrol? Dunno. How does house Azorius interact with the Ghost Council of Orzhova when making decisions? Dunno.

The fact that they're on specific cards limits things, whereas D&D is unlimited exploration. What I would like is a setting for each specific interest:

1) Eberron - Steampunk, intrigue, high fantasy high magic

2) The realms - heroic, earth spanning, earth shattering adventures. They need to dump a few key realms players under piles of their own problems to prevent them from solving everything, but so be it.

3) Greyhawk - Darker setting. World is in gradual decline, with many areas being taken by monsters. Magic has passed its prime, and the magic of today is pitiful in comparison to what once was. Everything is old, medieval, run down.

4) Dark Sun - Magic apocolypse ho. Slavers, monsters, the land is tough. You need to be tougher.

5) Unknown - Fantasy setting much lighter than Greyhawk, with less of a 'everything is overrun' feeling. Early Renascence feel - hopeful and vibrant, but still a LOT of problems

6) Unknown - Total despair. The world is overrun, and the PCs are the last hope for a brighter future in a world that has been consumed by darkness

7) Planescape/Spelljammer Mashup - Sail the Astral Sea! Visit the planes! Be insane! The wilder, the cooler, the wackier, the better. Inspirations from Neil Gaimen, the Lucifer series, comic books, Simon R. Green, the wilder and wackier the better. Magic items go up to 11! Spells go up to 11! Villains start at 12! Meant to be STARTED at PC level 10 or higher, wildness ensues. Lots of alternate rules.

This would be a baseline.

P.S. D&D Next is the era where they REALLY REALLY REALLY need to take crosspromotion on. I want a Ravnica campaign setting, dammit. I want to be there when the Eldrazi are freed. And I want rules for playing a goddamn planeswalker. They don't have to be balanced to the rest of the system. They don't even have to pay attention to the rest of the system. Walkers of the Planes, even as horribly unpowered as they now are, smack around all but the most powerful mortal wizards.

the Jester

Legend
c) Consistent Tone. It prevents a little of the “kitchen sink” as new additions will have to be more carefully justified, being an addition to an established world. New content has to fit and cannot be forced.

Umm... this was true in neither 3e (dromites, illumians, catfolk, goliaths, samurai and ninja, oh my!) nor 4e (shardminds, wilden, runepriests and seekers, oh my!).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases