D&D 5th Edition What should be the 5E default setting? - Page 6

What's on your mind?

View Poll Results: What should be the default setting for 5E?

Voters
197. You may not vote on this poll
  • Something entirely new

24 12.18%
  • 4E's Points of Light, Astral Sea/Elemental Chaos

26 13.20%
  • 3E's Greyhawk/Planescape mash-up

9 4.57%
  • Greyhawk

32 16.24%
  • Forgotten Realms

28 14.21%
  • Dragonlance

3 1.52%
  • Dark Sun

2 1.02%
  • Ravenloft

2 1.02%
  • Eberron

8 4.06%
  • Some combination of the above settings

4 2.03%
  • Some setting not included in this poll

8 4.06%
  • No default setting at all

44 22.34%
  • It doesn't really matter

7 3.55%
+ Log in or register to post
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Kung Fu Panda DM
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Blog Entries

° Ignore Quickleaf
    Biased poll. Where is the World of the D&D Cartoon as an option?

Quote Originally Posted by Quickleaf View Post
    Biased poll. Where is the World of the D&D Cartoon as an option?
    Nice, did they ever stat Venger out?

Kung Fu Panda DM
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Blog Entries

° Ignore Quickleaf
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely_Dan View Post
    Nice, did they ever stat Venger out?
    Yep, him, the kids, and their weapons weapons were statted in the DVD box set I believe. Don't think Dungeon Master was statted tho.

Venger was a half-fiend sorcerer/archmage IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Quickleaf View Post
    Yep, him, the kids, and their weapons weapons were statted in the DVD box set I believe. Don't think Dungeon Master was statted tho.

Venger was a half-fiend sorcerer/archmage IIRC.
    3rd Ed rules?

Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

° Ignore Shadeydm
    My communities:

I suspect it will be the Realms which is a little disappointing because I think its been a long long time since FR was a good setting in my mind (like org grey box long time).
    I'd love to make an passionate case for Greyhawk to be rebooted to its org box set which is my all time favorite setting. Realistically Greyhawk has developed its own baggage over the years and probably shouldn't be the choice either.
    If I were WotC I would make something new, light on detail with the very highest quality maps possible. I'd think about leaving the nations unmarked, cities and towns etc unnamed on the maps so people can really make it thier own, perhaps these could be sold seperatly from the box set?
    I hope with strange eons even the edition war may die.

I'd love them to announce a new fan competition for a world, then the winner is the default world ... It would have to happen fairly soon though ...

Kung Fu Panda DM
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Blog Entries

° Ignore Quickleaf
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely_Dan View Post
    3rd Ed rules?
    Yes. 3.0 or 3.5 I couldnt tell the difference cause I never played much 3e.

Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

° Ignore GreyICE
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratskinner View Post
    I don't think its lack of new material so much a lack of new settings that are the center of the complaint.

Personally, I think WotC should learn from M:tG's process. Put out a new setting every year or two. Give us some skeletal framework in a setting guide and a new adventure path. Use it to feature whatever new mechanics or splat material you've come up with. We'll happily merge it with our own campaigns as we like. If one of 'em really takes off and is super-popular, then revisit it in a few years.

Tacking everything and anything into the Realms (or Greyhawk, or whatever) just seems to dilute those settings.
    M:tG does have a different thing though. How do the jungle-streets of Gruul look in Ravnica? Uh... don't quite know. There's a map of Ravnica, and some card art, but overall it's just not something that makes sense. Where is Duskmantle, House of Shadow? I don't know. What guard stations do the Boros enforcers use on patrol? Dunno. How does house Azorius interact with the Ghost Council of Orzhova when making decisions? Dunno.

The fact that they're on specific cards limits things, whereas D&D is unlimited exploration. What I would like is a setting for each specific interest:

1) Eberron - Steampunk, intrigue, high fantasy high magic

2) The realms - heroic, earth spanning, earth shattering adventures. They need to dump a few key realms players under piles of their own problems to prevent them from solving everything, but so be it.

3) Greyhawk - Darker setting. World is in gradual decline, with many areas being taken by monsters. Magic has passed its prime, and the magic of today is pitiful in comparison to what once was. Everything is old, medieval, run down.

4) Dark Sun - Magic apocolypse ho. Slavers, monsters, the land is tough. You need to be tougher.

5) Unknown - Fantasy setting much lighter than Greyhawk, with less of a 'everything is overrun' feeling. Early Renascence feel - hopeful and vibrant, but still a LOT of problems

6) Unknown - Total despair. The world is overrun, and the PCs are the last hope for a brighter future in a world that has been consumed by darkness

7) Planescape/Spelljammer Mashup - Sail the Astral Sea! Visit the planes! Be insane! The wilder, the cooler, the wackier, the better. Inspirations from Neil Gaimen, the Lucifer series, comic books, Simon R. Green, the wilder and wackier the better. Magic items go up to 11! Spells go up to 11! Villains start at 12! Meant to be STARTED at PC level 10 or higher, wildness ensues. Lots of alternate rules.

This would be a baseline.

P.S. D&D Next is the era where they REALLY REALLY REALLY need to take crosspromotion on. I want a Ravnica campaign setting, dammit. I want to be there when the Eldrazi are freed. And I want rules for playing a goddamn planeswalker. They don't have to be balanced to the rest of the system. They don't even have to pay attention to the rest of the system. Walkers of the Planes, even as horribly unpowered as they now are, smack around all but the most powerful mortal wizards.

A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

° Ignore the Jester
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Canuck View Post
    c) Consistent Tone. It prevents a little of the ôkitchen sinkö as new additions will have to be more carefully justified, being an addition to an established world. New content has to fit and cannot be forced.
    Umm... this was true in neither 3e (dromites, illumians, catfolk, goliaths, samurai and ninja, oh my!) nor 4e (shardminds, wilden, runepriests and seekers, oh my!).
    the Jester

The Monster Project

Buy my first self-published weird sci-fi novel from Amazon here!

Guide (Lvl 11)

° Ignore avin
    Planescape.
    F I G H T E R

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast