D&D 5E What should the skill list look like?

slobo777

First Post
No, because then a fey-touched sorcerer or warlock can ask faeries to do anything for them, and thus require only one ability score. In another game, sure.

Agreed, an ability or background that could help with *anything* needs at least part of the ability modeled outside the at-will skill system.

E.g. give the same feylock a "twice per day, get help from fairies and use Cha on *any* skill check" power, then they might choose to burn a use of that to help climb a wall.

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
Agreed, an ability or background that could help with *anything* needs at least part of the ability modeled outside the at-will skill system.

E.g. give the same feylock a "twice per day, get help from fairies and use Cha on *any* skill check" power, then they might choose to burn a use of that to help climb a wall.

That's a great example of a non-combat feat for the other thread. I could imagine a speciality that let's you talk to faeries :)

hbarsquared

Quantum Chronomancer
I'd like to return to a a couple ideas up-thread that I would like to see incorporated into skills:

I definitely prefer adjudication:

- Player describes attempted action in character
- DM decides mechanic to use
Ie, using Str or Dex or Con for Climb, depending on the situation. Although I would like to add that the player can "present a case" if they feel the situation warrants it. As always, DM adjudication, and a player constantly using Cha for their Climb check should not be mollified.

I think, after considering the various arguments, that I prefer a hybrid.

There should be a short, set list of adventuring skills for the most common rolls to which training matters. This is for speed of play and fairness.

In addition, characters should get a bonus whenever their background applies to a situation that isn't covered by the set skill list.

This. And here's a thought for designing it...

I like the "siloing" of Next, and there was a discussion for separating out "combat feats" from "roleplay feat" (maybe calling them "traits"). Assuming that Backgrounds have some sort of level-up progression, why not do this with skills, too?

Create a short list of "combat skills," skills that come up all the time in adventuring that PCs have felt the need to invest in to keep up. Things like Perception, Thievery, Bluff, even Climb and Jump. Your class might give you automatic training in one or more of these, and you can spend the combat feat Skill Training to get a +3, and the combat feat Skill Focus to get an additional +2. Each skill has a primary attribute (Wis for Perception, Str for Climb), but the DM is given advice to use different abilities depending on the situation.

These skills can obviously be used outside of combat, but they are "adventuring skills," skills that every adventurer, at some point, might find themselves doing or wanting to invest in.

This can even open up the design space. "Initiative" becomes a combat skill, for instance.

On the pillar side, you have Background with Traits and RP Skills. RP Skills are more general and more situational, providing you with a +3 bonus to those situations that align with your background. At later levels you can gain additional skills or additional Backgrounds that expand your capabilities in the RP department. Some might even stack with your combat skills, if the situation warrants it.

Let's say you're a Fighter with the Pirate Background.

You choose two skills from a class list to gain Training (Let's say... Athletics and Perception). For your 1st-level feat you choose to gain Training in a third skill (Let's say... Thievery).

Your Pirate Background provides you with a ship and crew that you belong to, and whenever you are in a port town you can make contact with them for information and resources. Instead of a list of skills, maybe just a +3 bonus to all "pirate-y" situations? Perhaps every five levels you gain a second Background?

Now let's say your character is fighting at the docks and falls in the water and tries to swim in the rough water. +3 bonus from Athletics, but another +3 for being a pirate: +6 in this particular situation. Or your character tries to find out who the local pirate king is. Just +3 bonus from being a pirate.

So, pretty much what Jeff Carlsen said. A short list of adventuring skills that you train with your combat pillar (through classes and feats) that includes things like Perception, Find Traps, and even Initiative. And whenever a background applies to a particular situation, stack on that bonus.

As a module, you could develop a fully fleshed out skill list that includes Diplomacy, Use Rope, Appraisal, and Lore. Tack this module onto Backgrounds, and now your Background provides you with an rp skill list along with your combat skill list.

Sadrik

First Post
It's not clear how this sort of thing fits with the d20 roll for skill checks. I mean, in the real world its virtually impossible for an untrained person to perform even routine surgery, whereas a trained surgeon will not botch it 1 time in 20 - there may be complications 1 time in 20 (or more, even) - infections, mostly - but these aren't well-modelled by the D&D skill system, which tends to what immediate success/failure.

I think you misunderstand. The concept is stuff that is common to everyone climb, jump, talk, read, hide, balance, resist stuff, lift, carry, swim, spot, find info in a library, convince... you should put these literally under each stat as things you can do with a stat roll. Now as to the trickier stuff lock picking, tracking, being a sage on some topic, weapon smith, or any other skill you can only use with extensive training. These are where backgrounds can come in.

Conseptually the stats represent what a normal person without extensive training could do. Real strong makes you excellent at carrying, climbing and swimming. Quick? You can hide balance dodge etc. real good. The point is that stats already represent what your character is good at. I really do not see a reason to confound that.

For me the question is what if you are playing Elric, a sickly warrior. Your str and con scores are 8 say. So now you are at a distinct disadvantage as a warrior. For basic skills you have a tough time swimming climbing and running for a while. This makes sense! Would it be appropriate to have a player decide I do not want to have that be a disadvantage. And they take skills to shore up the swimming and climbing and running. Is that right? I really feel like those should be inherent problems for taking low stats. Raise stats if would to have a way of improving your everyday skill at things like climbing and swimming.

Outside of everyday common skills though backgrounds could play a big part. And this can be open ended. If you are a brewer as part of your background. You know your way around a brewery, you can use int to appraise ingredients, cha to sell goods to those on the road, the options are immense. Of course brewer might have been one of the three skill choices that came with the commoner background.

This would be a system I would be interested in.

pemerton

Legend
This would be a system I would be interested in.
I don't mind the system in the abstract. My concern is more narrow - I don't think what you're talking about works well with d20 skill checks. As a general rule, a surgeon either can or can't - there is no "success roll" required.

But all the stuff about backgrounds opening up special abilities, etc - completely sensible to me. I just would like a different resolution mechanic from the traditional "roll a d20 to see if you succeed or if you stuff it up".

Counterpoint. First, your example does show that 3e skill system was ill suited, but it wasn't because it was too speciffic, but rather because it wasn't speciffic enough. A propper craft system would consider that not all trades are equal. And thus it only shows that we needed a Blacksmithing skill, that feeded on Strength.
Actually, he just picked the wrong skill to represent the background he described, and then created a strawman out of it to "demonstrate" that the d20 skill system doesn't work. Profession (blacksmith) would give you a proper "I was an apprentice who became an adventurer--and I can do things like shoe horses, make nails, etc."

I love the d20 skill system. It's never discouraged roleplaying in me or my groups, in spite of GreyICE's big fonts that declare oh-so authoritatively that it must. It's very often been a tool that we've used to develop (or reflect) all kinds of interesting little details about our characters.

That said, it's not perfect. The Knowledge and Craft skills in particular are kinda wonky, and I think it's bizarre that Spot and Listen are different skills, and even more bizarre (and actively frustrating in play) that Hide and Move Silently are. Then again, it's not difficult to houserule that combination, and use Knowledge and Craft skills a bit more like they're described in d20 Modern.

Another issue with d20 skills is that some of the classes have too few skill points to actively spend any time doing anything interesting with the skill system. They simply don't really interact with it at all (cough, cough fighter cough.) But that's not a problem with the skill system, that's a problem with the class structure.

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
This is why all 'skill checks' should really be ability checks: focus on the aspects of your character that already incorporate your natural talents and background training.

Any bonuses beyond this should be numerically small - I would honestly favour +1 for a skill rather than +3 - so that I won't be so concerned between whether I have +1 to singing or climbing. Having that +1 in a particular skill does suggest specific training though, so should enable to you to take 10 when that skill comes into play. Your +1 to climbing means that even as a weakling you'll get out of pits without trouble, my +1 to singing means that I can always impress the locals in the inn with my beautiful voice, climbing for me is a risk, and singing for you might go well if you get the right tune.

In summary:
  • Ability checks, not skill checks
  • Small numerical bonuses for skills
  • Co-opt the Rogue's skill mastery to represent training (they need something more interesting anyway)

A game world or campaign where "Bardic Voice" has regular impact outside of colour - there are multiple performances, competitions where success/failure is of interest, and changes the path of an adventure - benefits with a skill for it, and players should absolutely have to invest character build into it.

A game world or campaign where an actual roll of the skill might come up a couple of times at most, suffers from the inclusion of the skill. At best it's a waste of space, at worst it blocks expression of fun ideas (such as GreyIce's background), or requires them to spend build resources for RP-only opportunities.
Au contraire. In this case, the chicken does come before the egg. You act as if the game world or campaign is static, and the PC's need to build their character accordingly. That's bad GMing. If the characters are putting skill ranks into skills, that's an indicator to the GM that they'd like to see them come up sometime. If the players are spending time detailing skills for their character and it never comes up; again, that's not a problem with the skill system. That's a problem with the game, and the person running it.

slobo777

First Post
Au contraire. In this case, the chicken does come before the egg. You act as if the game world or campaign is static, and the PC's need to build their character accordingly. That's bad GMing. If the characters are putting skill ranks into skills, that's an indicator to the GM that they'd like to see them come up sometime. If the players are spending time detailing skills for their character and it never comes up; again, that's not a problem with the skill system. That's a problem with the game, and the person running it.

Actually I am well aware of approach of players driving story by picking abilities (it's generally how I set up adventures), and was aiming for a neutral tone on chicken v egg ;) Sorry if it failed . . .

I think my point still stands, even with a floating skill system and player-driven plot lines.

That's because a background ability like "Bardic Voice" could come up in different ways, and to different degrees:

A) Purely in the fiction - an appointment to entertain the Emperor with a song could be the premise of the start of an adventure. Or a witch steals the voice (a la Little Mermaid) and the PCs must get it back.

B) As a mechanic - it's not an appointment to the Emperor, but a competition to tell the deeds of your group and be awarded entry to the Hall of Heroes [skill rolls for whole group including the PC's voice ability to enhance the telling]. The witch is instead an enchantress who has charmed your friends, but the right song will counter her hold on your allies [opposed skill check to get your allies to have Actions against the witch].

These both include the PC background, and make it important. You can choose to do both if you want.

But the same logic applies - if using Bardic Voice as a skill roll would only come up once or twice ever, it's questionable that it needs to be something that the player has spent some of the PC build on, or that needs strictly-defined rules.

In a floating skill system, pretty much all skills that players purchase are talking to scenarios like B . . . and there's nowhere obvious to put "background flavour" skills, where the player simply likes the idea of e.g. their ogre being a great chef, but doesn't want that to cost anything or be relevant mechanically to the otherwise pure-combat character.

So, weirdly, a floating skill system designed to enable cool extensive player choice, can in fact kill some of the cool choices by making them cost something. So it would need a patch - e.g. you get one or more free "special talents" that you don't expect to some up in play, or even go direct for the end result and say you can list as many skills as you like, but only the ones mechanically paid for will come up as mechanics, the rest are "fluff".

Last edited:

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
This is why all 'skill checks' should really be ability checks: focus on the aspects of your character that already incorporate your natural talents and background training.

Any bonuses beyond this should be numerically small - I would honestly favour +1 for a skill rather than +3 - so that I won't be so concerned between whether I have +1 to singing or climbing. Having that +1 in a particular skill does suggest specific training though, so should enable to you to take 10 when that skill comes into play. Your +1 to climbing means that even as a weakling you'll get out of pits without trouble, my +1 to singing means that I can always impress the locals in the inn with my beautiful voice, climbing for me is a risk, and singing for you might go well if you get the right tune.

In summary:
  • Ability checks, not skill checks
  • Small numerical bonuses for skills
  • Co-opt the Rogue's skill mastery to represent training (they need something more interesting anyway)

Wouldn't that make skills into mini feats? A +1 doesn't affect the roll much. The more important part would be the "take 10" unlock.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases