D&D 4E More reflections on 4e and 5e.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steely_Dan

First Post
In my experience (DMing it consistently for 2 years), 4th Ed (very fun) is more of a skirmish/board-game variant of D&D, not a proper edition/iteration.

GreyICE

Banned
Banned
In my experience (DMing it consistently for 2 years), 4th Ed (very fun) is more of a skirmish/board-game variant of D&D, not a proper edition/iteration.

Yay lets start an edition war! Those go well.

Last edited by a moderator:

I haven't followed 13th Age closely enough. What is it's fighter mechanic that you don't like?

Not just fighter. Most martial classes. Flexible Melee Attacks - you pick them in Char Gen, then roll a normal to hit roll, and see which of the flexible melee attacks you have access to are triggered by the roll.

"I like the game. I just don't like any of the parts which are involved with playing the game." huh?

"I like roleplaying. The rules should be there to support that."

I'm really perplexed, Steely_Dan. It seems of late you've given up all pretense of debating in good faith. It's all secret agenda this, sinister motivation that.

-O

And no apologies to those trolled, who wasted their time posting rejoinders in good faith presuming good faith by the actor who was actually trolling (and those who've wasted their time reading the trolling/exchange), when the actor revealed after the fact that indeed he was trolling (or drinking...and therefore not culpable for the trolling). Yeah. An admission and apology would go along way.

Imaro

Legend
Doesn't that still require learning the rules?

I would say yes... but I would also say that 4e lies on the rules heavy side of roleplaying games... especially in so far as the amount of rules knowledge the players (as opposed to the DM) needs to know and understand upfront.

Imaro

Legend
If there is a player who is playing the game while simultaneously not caring enough about any of the elements involved with the game, I find that situation somewhat strange.

"I like the game. I just don't like any of the parts which are involved with playing the game." huh?

As for memorizing... well, that's kind of what the character sheet is for right? To write down basic information relevant to your interaction with the game world. There's no need to memorize much of anything.

How about... "I like roleplaying games, just not the amount of rules knowledge 4e, or 3e for that matter, requires in order for me to play the game."...Of course if that's your intorduction to rpg's you may not realize there are many out there with less rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases