D&D 4E More reflections on 4e and 5e.

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the aspects of being much better is that 4th Ed E-classes do not all bleed into each other as O-4th Ed classes/roles do, with features you slap on and powers that suit, the 4th Ed AEDU system is as close as we've got to class-less D&D (which is great for those who want it).

Evidence? I disagree that a 4e fighter (mark everyone, controlled damage) is closer to a 4e barbarian (mobile lunatic who can summon spirits into himself) than a 3e fighter (hit + feats) is to a 3e barbarian (hit + fewer feats + rage for some static modifiers). The very way the fighter and the barbarian move is different.

but nerds generally have a difficult time articulating themselves

I disagree that this is nerd-exclusive. I'd have said people have a hard time articulating themselves.

Secondly, there is no real distinction between magical abilities and martial abilities. 1[W] + Strength vs. 1d8 + Int? Not much in the way of difference.

And I just don't get why this is a problem. Why it should be that an arrow shot from a bow is almost the same as the swing of a sword but the two should be very different from a ray of frost. Me, I'd have said that the arrow should be closer to the ray than the sword.

If one wants to engage in discussions or research in astrophysics, the person should take the time to actually read up on astrophysics and remember it. The same applies to D&D.

But this is excluding huge swathes of people. I play with people who want to play D&D. And I play with people who want to play an RPG with friends - who happen to play D&D because that's what their friends are playing or running.

This seems to be an argument that most spell casters, in most fantasy RPG systems - and especially in non-4e versions of D&D - are poorly designed, because they require a lot of complex decision-making.

I stand by my comment - there is nothing about playing a martial PC, as opposed to a spellcaster, that makes complex decision-making especially inapt or poor design.

There is one thing. When someone has Ice Bolt and Fireball as their two spells it is easy to see what one does, what the other does, and why you would use one as against the other. They stake out distinctly different territory. The difference between Brash Strike and Reaping Strike is conceptually much, much smaller. They are both minor variations on "I hit him, making doubly sure not to miss".

Maybe it's just me, but I actually found the Essentials books harder to read than the early 4E books. I always felt as though it took me a really long time to find the information I needed in Essentials. I could glance at a 4E power and have a pretty good understanding of what it did.

This isn't just you. If you get 4e powers it makes it much faster and easier to see what's going on than embedding them in a wall of almost irrelevant text the way e.g. the 3.5 fireball spell does. Essentials veered back to the wall of text model.

pemerton

Legend
There is one thing. When someone has Ice Bolt and Fireball as their two spells it is easy to see what one does, what the other does, and why you would use one as against the other. They stake out distinctly different territory. The difference between Brash Strike and Reaping Strike is conceptually much, much smaller. They are both minor variations on "I hit him, making doubly sure not to miss".
My feeling is that is probably a mistake for a certain sort of play - and, perhaps, for any player - to build a PC who has those two powers, which functionally differ only in their DPR output across a range of ACs. It becomes like the "Power Attack" spreadsheet in 3E.

You're better off taking just one, I think - either Brash Strike if you want to play swingy, or Reaping Strike if you want to play conservative - and sticking to it!

But there are plenty of fighter at-wills which don't have this feature - say either of those powers compared to Cleave, Footwork Lure or Tide of Iron. And Footwork Lure and Tide of Iron are themselves meaningfully different, in that they don't just operate on the maths, but actually permit different choices in observably different situations.

I'll agree that, on the whole, magic-users have fewer of those "maths" powers, because the designers seem to find it easier to come up with powers that differ meaningfully on more than just those maths dimensions.

Essentials veered back to the wall of text model.
It drives me nuts. The only Essentials book that I can tolerate the text of is MV2, because it is actually meaningful story material.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
This may be true, but has nothing to do with at-will powers vs basic attacks.

The solution to this problem is in character sheet design: the sheet for the newbie player of the rogue should not have an melee basic attacks on it. It should have Sly Flourish indicated as the default attack - and if this results in Sly Flourish being used for the occasional OA taken by a rogue, so what? The game is hardly going to break because of that!

It's not a bad solution!

But the core of the issue is deeper, I think. 4e is probably one of the easiest D&D's to just jump into, and even it turns people off in its complexity. Thankfully, 5e seems to be able to be played in a very bog-simple mode, so I'm thinking it's something they're trying to address.

B.T.

First Post
And I just don't get why this is a problem. Why it should be that an arrow shot from a bow is almost the same as the swing of a sword but the two should be very different from a ray of frost. Me, I'd have said that the arrow should be closer to the ray than the sword.
Because people expect magic to be different.

Because people expect magic to be different.

Why?

This goes back to those mental framework posts that I have above. It does work differently. In the fiction. Where it matters. For immersion, for story purposes, etc.

Why is it that meta-game resource schemes have to be different? How is it that meta-game resource schemes interpose themselves between a player and the resulting fiction to the point that people opine:

1a - "Well, this is clearly magic...its written in stylistic, flourish-heavy prose...I can almost FEEL the tendrils of fire licking my fingertips as a gout of flame emanates from them!"

or

1b - "Well, this is clearly a martial attack scheme...it says 5/2...I can almost FEEL the blood spatter on my face!"

2 - I can't possibly immerse myself in this game we're playing because the composition of these meta-game resource schemes don't transfer the sort of tangible "magic" or "not magic" reality, from outside of the fiction through the ether and into the fiction, that I'm looking for.

I patently do not understand either of the second two but the first is at least marginally tenable...invoking some oddity of subjective human perception or cultural meme underwriting that perception.

Why is "5/2, THAC0 7, 1d8 + 7" good to go for "oh yeah, that totally makes sense for a martial attack scheme" but the Keywords "Martial" and "Weapon" somehow provoke this deep cognitive dissonance? Then, why do "Arcane" and "Implement" somehow provoke "What? That isn't magical?" I do not understand this at all. I am not trying to be willfully obtuse. I literally have absolutely 0, zilch, nada understanding of this paradigm.

Last edited:

Imaro

Legend
Why?

This goes back to those mental framework posts that I have above. It does work differently. In the fiction. Where it matters. For immersion, for story purposes, etc.

Why is it that meta-game resource schemes have to be different? How is it that meta-game resource schemes interpose themselves between a player and the resulting fiction to the point that people opine:

1a - "Well, this is clearly magic...its written in stylistic, flourish-heavy prose...I can almost FEEL the tendrils of fire licking my fingertips as a gout of flame emanates from them!"

or

1b - "Well, this is clearly a martial attack scheme...it says 5/2...I can almost FEEL the blood spatter on my face!"

2 - It can't possibly be that the composition of meta-game resource schemes actually transfer some sort of tangible "magic" or "not magic" reality outside of the fiction.

If it isn't one of those two (which I patently do not understand either on their own but the first is at least marginally teneble...invoking some oddity of subjective human perception or cultural meme underwriting that perception).

Why is "5/2, THAC0 7, 1d8 + 7" good to go for "oh yeah, that totally makes sense for a martial attack scheme" but the Keywords "Martial" and "Weapon" somehow provoke this deep cognitive dissonance? Then, why do "Arcane" and "Implement" somehow provoke "What? That isn't magical?" I do not understand this at all. I am not trying to be willfully obtuse. I literally have absolutely 0, zilch, nada understanding of this paradigm.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it's because almost every description of casting magic in the majority of fiction is nothing like shooting an arrow or swinging a sword... and that's where most peoples expectations are going to come from. They expect a different mechanic because, IMO, for most people it is the mechanics that impart a particular "feel" regardless of what form of fiction they try and lather across it. Again, IMO... it creates dissonance for many when the mechanics are the same or very similar between magic and mundane because this is not how most fiction (which are their reference points) describes them.

EDIT: I mean the answer really is "because (most) people expect them to be different."

EDIT 2: Even in games such as Exalted and Earthdawn, where arguably even the fighters and rogues are using magic, the designers recognize this expectation most people have and implement seperate mechanics for the casting of actual spells.

Last edited:

Imaro

Legend
It's not stupidity. It's that the cost/benefit analysis fails. Too much effort to get something I got for free when I was 5, no thanks.

This is really the crux of the matter. People keep claiming how "easy" 4e is to get into but compared to what? OD&D? Moldvay/Cook? BECMI? I don't think it is.

I'd even say 4e offloads more necessary upfront rules knowledge and memorization (that is specific to their characters and only their characters due to it's exception based design) on players in order for them to run their characters properly than either AD&D or 3.x. YMMV, of course. Ultimately it is about the amount of effort one has to put into TRYING a game that you may or may not end up liking, but I don't think many of the gamers here can conceive that for some/many that the current investment to play a game of make believe fantasy is to high. I would also think that 4e's emphasis on tactical combat (both time-wise and as the primary focus of the encounters program) may be off-putting to gamers who aren't really interested or enjoy tactical combat in and of itself.

GreyICE

Banned
Banned
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it's because almost every description of casting magic in the majority of fiction is nothing like shooting an arrow or swinging a sword... and that's where most peoples expectations are going to come from. They expect a different mechanic because, IMO, for most people it is the mechanics that impart a particular "feel" regardless of what form of fiction they try and lather across it. Again, IMO... it creates dissonance for many when the mechanics are the same or very similar between magic and mundane because this is not how most fiction (which are their reference points) describes them.

EDIT: I mean the answer really is "because (most) people expect them to be different."

EDIT 2: Even in games such as Exalted and Earthdawn, where arguably even the fighters and rogues are using magic, the designers recognize this expectation most people have and implement seperate mechanics for the casting of actual spells.

Exalted's spells are almost exactly identical to 4E's rituals. The chances of any of them truly being used in combat is vanishingly small. In fact most of them have absurd, insane out-of-combat effects (which is, okay, different than 4E rituals, but the game is basically epic tier from the start forward, and scales to Giant Fighting Robots rather quickly).

I honestly don't see what the issue is with an attack and a spell being presented in the same manner. "This is something your hero can do. Here's how to do it."

The mental gymnastics people are jumping through to say that that doesn't work for them is... impressive.

My feeling is that is probably a mistake for a certain sort of play - and, perhaps, for any player - to build a PC who has those two powers, which functionally differ only in their DPR output across a range of ACs. It becomes like the "Power Attack" spreadsheet in 3E.

Indeed. One of the failings of 4e is that it never actually mentions that you probably shouldn't do this.

I disagree emphatically that most people expect it to be different. In most games I can think of off the top of my head, it's only different where the outcomes are different.

GURPS? It's all skill rolls. Everything's skill rolls.
Spirit of the Century? Everything's the same type of roll.
WFRP 3e? Everything's the same type of roll.
WFRP 2e? Different rolls because there's a serious possibility of magical blowback at the same time as the spell working. Which doesn't happen on a pass/fail system. Different because the outcomes are different.
Call of Cthulu? Non-magical checks don't normally make you go insane. IIRC Different because the outcomes are different.
Wushu? Yeaaaahhhh.
Feng Shui? Nope. And this in a system where kung fu is different from gunplay.
World of Darkness? I don't recall the mechanics for casting being distinct. Roll that dice pool.
4e? Combat spells are the same. Rituals are different because they do different things.

From the games on my shelves either magic is different because magic is costly and dangerous to the caster or things are different because that's what the game's about. Is D&D really about wizards and casters and their second class cousins? I can make a good argument that it is given the proportion of the PHB spells take up.

This is really the crux of the matter. People keep claiming how "easy" 4e is to get into but compared to what? OD&D? Moldvay/Cook? BECMI? I don't think it is.

Compared to AD&D or 3.X I believe it is. Compared to oD&D, oD&D has the advantage of being a rules-light system that's little deeper than a tabletop wargame but you only get very few pawns, and the Red Box was explicitely written for beginners.

I'd even say 4e offloads more necessary upfront rules knowledge and memorization (that is specific to their characters and only their characters due to it's exception based design) on players in order for them to run their characters properly than either AD&D or 3.x. YMMV, of course.

Mine does. Massively. Compared to AD&D I don't have any lookup tables or need to wrestle with anything like THAC0 or a frankly weird saving throw system. Roll a d20 and get as high as possible. And don't get me started on NWPs. Compared to 3.X, even at low level the skill system is a joy. The stunting rules work so you can offload that to the DM. And things that feel as if they should work do work.

Of course I'm talking about 4e (2012) not 4e (2008). 4e (2008) lacked a simple class (the ranger was as close as you had). And this was a vast oversight.

don't think many of the gamers here can conceive that for some/many that the current investment to play a game of make believe fantasy is to high.

I can. One of the reasons I praise Essentials is that it brought PCs where you could Just Hit Stuff in combat. And finally a caster where you can Just Blow Stuff Up. I'll match the Slayer and the Knight against the 3.X fighter or barbarian any day. Hell, I'll almost match them against the oD&D fighter even once you've taken the clunky rules out of OD&D. Of course this was two years later than it should have been and that was an oversight in the PHB. And even the eMartial classes are

I would also think that 4e's emphasis on tactical combat (both time-wise and as the primary focus of the encounters program) may be off-putting to gamers who aren't really interested or enjoy tactical combat in and of itself.

Agreed. But I'd say the same about D&D's rules - that they are combat-centric as befits a hacked tabletop wargame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases