D&D 5E I'm just not that "Psyched" about Next.

Ahnehnois

First Post
The problem is ... every major, substantive innovation runs afoul of their "feels like D&D" stuff. If D&D has to have 80's-era rules, innovation will be hard.
True. The existing skeleton could be used better, but they don't seem to interested in doing it. And really breaking the conventions of D&D doesn't seem to be in the cards either.

Greg K

Legend
The other thing I have to keep asking myself is, what is 5e going to supplant in my group's existing play set? We already have one GM running GURPS, I'm running Savage Worlds on the side as a diversion on our GURPS "off weeks"; we have a Pathfinder campaign on hiatus that I ran last year; I'm dying to get a full-blown Fantasy Craft campaign rolling.....

And no offence to WotC, but any brand loyalty I might have felt for the D&D name is looooooong gone out the 4e window.

Unless I'm 100% convinced that D&D Next is going to blow my existing options out of the water, why would our group change up what we're already doing?

So far, 5e looks like just another interesting d20 fantasy variant......and I've already got like, six of those.

Yeah, at this point, I have Savage Worlds for non- d20, True20 for class/level based d20 (if a group does not want Savage Worlds) and a house ruled 3e if a group wants Fantasy d20 class/level based other than True20 (not that I am 100% satisfied with the house ruled 3e. There are still some things I want to alter).

The Choice

First Post
The problem is ... every major, substantive innovation runs afoul of their "feels like D&D" stuff. If D&D has to have 80's-era rules, innovation will be hard.

-O

When the designers came out and stated that that was what they were basing their design efforts on, I knew the game was in trouble. Seriously, how hard is it to understand that "feel" isn't something that can be replicated; it's a wholly subjective concept. The "feel" of D&D, to me, is opening those boxed sets, the sound the cardboard made, rubbing against each other, it's poring through booklets and books, looking at the illustrations, reading the lore and imagining the stories I could tell with my friends. It's sitting behind my DM screen and telling them about the great dragon rampaging towards them through the narrow corridors of its lair. But that's just me. For others, it's their first assassin character killing the orc chief in one blow, it's rolling to see what kind of horse you just bought on some obscure chart, it's the thrill of not knowing what treasure you'll find (because damn it, you just can't remember what's on random treasure table Q), it's looking at the PHB and wondering what the hell a sorcerer is, etc.

None of those things can be replicated perfectly...

So yeah, I'm not looking forward to Next if it's anything like the current iteration of the playtest rules. Still, I'll keep watching, like some slow-motion car crash that I somehow foresaw... hoping that, maybe, they make something playable out of it.

Kinak

First Post
Yeah, I can't really get excited. The first playtest was so... simple, I could really get behind it.

But the answer to every question seems to be more complexity piled into character creation. Attributes, race, class, background, and maybe specialization are about all I can handle. Tossing subraces and subclasses on top of that just makes we want to bail.

I'd consider picking up a game that's simpler than Pathfinder, especially for character creation, but it's as complicated now and headed in the wrong direction.

Specializations also get to me, for a different reason. I think one of the biggest weaknesses of 3.5 (and Pathfinder) is how much you end up building towards prerequisites. But at least in 3.5, you can always wander off the rails. Specializations are designed to cook in an entire progression before you even start playing.

So, if they can release an elegant product that starts simple and grows in complexity through play (making as few big choices before you start as possible), I'm excited. I'm not really sure how they get to there from where they are now, though.

Cheers!
Kinak

Hussar

Legend
Initially, their goals seemed worthy, but they haven't shown any real innovation and with every new playtest release and column I see they seem to be getting farther away from accomplishing those goals. So yes, I agree. Around the new year, I thought maybe this would be a step forward, but at this point I'm focusing more on my home game and trying to make that the best I can.

What kind of innovations are you looking for?

I mean, I haven't been totally keeping up to speed, but, it seems like they've done a fair bit. The fighter has been reworked pretty extensively with the CA dice pool mechanics (something that's never been tried in D&D before) and various other bits and bobs are getting worked over.

So what do you want? There are a few core things that will never change - six stats, class based, fantasy, etc. - but, everything else looks like its pretty much up for grabs.

I can understand not liking the changes, that's fair enough. But I'm having a tough time thinking that they're not willing to change enough.

tlantl

First Post
Well as I see it Next is a mess. It's not a game system it's a conglomeration of ideas and concepts.

Playing with these rules is going to be unrewarding and disillusioning since it's not a complete game. Our access to the rules is a bonus a chance to make the game more to our liking.

I guess if you look at next as a finished game you will be in the position where the thing is unexciting, bland or unfulfilling.

If you look at your involvement in the process as if it were a job, which as I see it it is, then you don't have the disillusionment of an unexciting game but as a series of steps toward making a game that is better or at least different from the others.

I imagine that if the game's design and structure are not to your liking and you don't say something then it's on you. If you want something other than the D&D game with the stuff that makes D&D D&D then fine but don't try to find it here.

D&D doesn't need innovation, it needs solid and fun systems that work to bring me, and thousands of people like me, the game we have loved for decades. If this isn't what you want then go play pathfinder or 13th age or castles and crusades or any other game that there you prefer to D&D.

Li Shenron

Legend
I'm trying my hardest to get psyched about D&D Next but for some reason I'm just not feeling it. I've done the playtest and everything but I'm just losing the excitement day by day. I've actually been occupying most of my time Pathfinder.

I don't know what it is but I'm just not digging Next.

Anyone else feel the same?

I am fairly excited and generally very interested in 5e, but the big boost of excitement for me will only come when I (hopefully) see a gorgeous printed book with fantastic artwork :cool:

Yes, 2nd iteration is a little bitt too complex. especially the big 4 classes. The sorcerer however as it stands now is a good example of a class i would like.

For the base game, the choice of a class, and a race is enough. No subrace, no scheme, no tradition, no fighting style... But as options, there should be things to replace the default choices: thief without backstab: here is a scheme you could replace the thief scheme with. A swashbuckler: swap soldier for it. A specialized mage: lose some things and gain some encounter powers. But please, make simple default classes and than add a chapter with advanced otions for the experienced players. And of course, think about how a class advances.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases