D&D 5E I'm just not that "Psyched" about Next.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
I'm trying my hardest to get psyched about D&D Next but for some reason I'm just not feeling it. I've done the playtest and everything but I'm just losing the excitement day by day. I've actually been occupying most of my time Pathfinder.

I don't know what it is but I'm just not digging Next.

Anyone else feel the same?

Greg K

Legend
I am not digging at this point either. 3e is my favorite edition, but there are elements from 2e and 4e I would love to see replace some of 3e's mechanics so my ideal would incorporate elements from all 3. However, Next despite drawing influence from various editions is not doing so in a way that I like.

So far. the only things that I like about Next are Backgrounds and, for the most part, the skill list (I despised 4e's shorter list of broader skills). It is still early in development. Therefore, I have keeping up with it in hope that things will change. Lately, though I have to admit that I am losing interest, but this is due, in large part, to many posters at WOTC's boards and rpg.net.

I'm trying my hardest to get psyched about D&D Next but for some reason I'm just not feeling it. I've done the playtest and everything but I'm just losing the excitement day by day. I've actually been occupying most of my time Pathfinder.

I don't know what it is but I'm just not digging Next.

Anyone else feel the same?

Last edited:

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Yeah, it's very early in the process. Once they get the core game set and start adding some more bells and whistles, I'm guessing many who might not yet be excited will start giving it a more serious look.

innerdude

Legend
Some of it is that we simply don't have that much to go on yet. What will 5e really look like when it's done? Who knows. The Pathfinder beta play test was significantly different from the final PF core rules, for example, and 5e still has significant time until its official release.

The other thing I have to keep asking myself is, what is 5e going to supplant in my group's existing play set? We already have one GM running GURPS, I'm running Savage Worlds on the side as a diversion on our GURPS "off weeks"; we have a Pathfinder campaign on hiatus that I ran last year; I'm dying to get a full-blown Fantasy Craft campaign rolling.....

And no offence to WotC, but any brand loyalty I might have felt for the D&D name is looooooong gone out the 4e window.

Unless I'm 100% convinced that D&D Next is going to blow my existing options out of the water, why would our group change up what we're already doing?

So far, 5e looks like just another interesting d20 fantasy variant......and I've already got like, six of those.

Last edited:

Raith5

Adventurer
My mind changes regularly! I still personally prefer the 4th ed approach of tactical and mechanic heavy design but I like the way they are approaching things by attempting to go for multiple playstyles and a lot of playtesting in DDN. I think the next iteration of DDN in October is going to be important for keeping people interested in DDN.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Initially, their goals seemed worthy, but they haven't shown any real innovation and with every new playtest release and column I see they seem to be getting farther away from accomplishing those goals. So yes, I agree. Around the new year, I thought maybe this would be a step forward, but at this point I'm focusing more on my home game and trying to make that the best I can.

Hussar

Legend
Color me somewhat unsurprised by the reactions.

Speaking only for myself, I'm interested in what they're doing, but, it's WAYYY too early to get all squee about things. Have to admit though, lots of fodder for discussion. :D

Obryn

Hero
Initially, their goals seemed worthy, but they haven't shown any real innovation and with every new playtest release and column I see they seem to be getting farther away from accomplishing those goals.
The problem is ... every major, substantive innovation runs afoul of their "feels like D&D" stuff. If D&D has to have 80's-era rules, innovation will be hard.

-O

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases