[October] What are you reading?

Stouthart

First Post
Well, Neuromancer is the classic starting point, and its sequel (Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive) are excellent as well. I'd also look for Burning Chrome, a short-story collection that includes Johnny Mnemonic and a number of other stories in the same universe. After that? Snow Crash, When Gravity Fails, and River of Gods. I'd throw in Rainbow's End, by Vernor Vinge, as well.

There's a very fine line between cyberpunk and "AI" fiction. Neuromancer and Snow Crash fall on the hacker end; River of Gods and Rainbow's End are on the other. When Gravity Fails is somewhere in between.

When Gravity Fails is probably an excellent resource for a cyberpunk campaign, now that I think about it. The characters are a lot grittier and lower-class than the other books go (transgendered prostitute dancers, thugs, and crooks, among others). It's the first book in a series, but the strongest and stands well alone.

I agree with Nellisir on these recommendations. I would also add the Takeshi Kovacs novels by Richard K. Morgan. Especially the first one, Altered Carbon- one of my favorite cyberpunk novels.

And while not strictly cyberpunk, Ready Player One by Ernest Cline does take place almost exclusively in a virtual universe (i.e.cyberspace.) Very fun read, doubly so if you are a child of the 80s.

Stouthart

Nellisir

Hero
I would also add the Takeshi Kovacs novels by Richard K. Morgan. Especially the first one, Altered Carbon- one of my favorite cyberpunk novels.

I've read one of those, and quite enjoyed it. Unfortunately, I can't remember which one, which is frustrating at the bookstore.

Getting even further away from cyberpunk, the Cassandra Kresnov books by Joel Shepherd are, I think, in the same vein as the Takeshi Kovac books. Probably heavier on the combat (she's a kickass android. Falls out of high buildings, runs 100+ mph, throws small vehicles).

Mercutio01

First Post
Still reading 11/22/63 (a little over halfway through). The Derry stuff was more interesting to me than the part about Jodie, TX. I'm losing interest in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and might just give up on it and move into the other books next to my bed. Jim Butcher's Academ's Fury is on top of that stack.

Stouthart

First Post
Getting even further away from cyberpunk, the Cassandra Kresnov books by Joel Shepherd are, I think, in the same vein as the Takeshi Kovac books. Probably heavier on the combat (she's a kickass android. Falls out of high buildings, runs 100+ mph, throws small vehicles).

I read the first book in this series when it was released a few years ago. Another good read I would recommend.

Stouthart

Crothian

First Post
I finished Bones are Forever the latest Temperance Brennan novel that the Bones TV show is loosely based on. It was pretty good, but not great. It was quick and dealt with what some would call tough subjects.

Richards

Legend
I picked up about a dozen of the Destroyer novels for a dime apiece. Remo Williams, Chiun, Sinanju - they're as enjoyable (in a mindless fun sort of way) as they were a few decades ago when I read them voraciously.

Johnathan

LeStew

Explorer
I just recently started The Dresden Files. (i've been under a rock for the past.....life) so I'm reading those as fast as I can... Currently on Summer Knight (book 4) Might get through Book 4 and book 5 before November comes

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
I realized a while back that despite owning many copies of LotR and the Silmarillion, neither my wife nor I owned The Hobbit. I rectified that situation yesterday with the gorgeous green collector's edition. I'm only a couple of chapters in. Awesome stuff :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases