Books [October] What are you reading? - Page 5

+ Log in or register to post
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore Stouthart
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellisir View Post
    Finished Ready Player One last night; read Marsbound today.

I'll be blunt: I thought RP1 was a decent freshman effort, but lacked character depth, any really interesting plot twists, and the shoehorning in of current popular geek culture topics and personalities was annoying (Cory Doctorow and Wil Wheaton as official elected leaders of the Internet? Really?). The token black female lesbian was so token as to possibly be intentional. And the setting was...thin.

That sounds fairly harsh, but it wasn't terrible, just...average. A solid C+ or B-, maybe. Definitely not Neuromancer, Snow Crash, or When Gravity Fails, despite obvious similarities to the first two.

Marsbound was better.
    Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it. I found it to be thoroughly entertaining- it was funny, fresh, exciting and a quick read. It's no literary masterpiece, I'll give you that, but I still think its the highest level of brain-candy/popcorn fiction.
    Mild mannered programmer by day, earths mightiest gamer by night... he is... the Stupendous Stouthart!

Check out my new weekly EN World column Shut Up and Roll each Friday in October.

You have nice manners for a thief and a liar," said the dragon.
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

Defender (Lvl 8)

Blog Entries

Ignore Nellisir
    Quote Originally Posted by Stouthart View Post
    Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it. I found it to be thoroughly entertaining- it was funny, fresh, exciting and a quick read. It's no literary masterpiece, I'll give you that, but I still think its the highest level of brain-candy/popcorn fiction.
    Different strokes for different folk n' all that. I think I was expecting more out of it, having heard of it from several sources.
    Secrets of the Shadowend - Notes, scribblings, writings, and memorandum on the Shadowend Campaign Setting.

Defender (Lvl 8)

Blog Entries

Ignore Nellisir
    Razjah - re: your family, screw with their mind and read Bridget Jones' Diary after The Prince. It's really good, and their heads will blow off try to make sense of it.
    Secrets of the Shadowend - Notes, scribblings, writings, and memorandum on the Shadowend Campaign Setting.

Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

Ignore Razjah
    Nellisir-It is either that or Twilight. And I needed the laugh from your comment, thanks.

Defender (Lvl 8)

Blog Entries

Ignore Zaukrie
    Into thin air....I have had it for years, but just started last night.

Defender (Lvl 8)

Blog Entries

Ignore Nellisir
    Quote Originally Posted by Razjah View Post
    Nellisir-It is either that or Twilight. And I needed the laugh from your comment, thanks.
    I've got to say, the idea that someone's family would make fun of them for reading, let alone for reading Machiavelli's The Prince, sort of blows my mind. My family would look at the book, think a moment, and then give you a related-reading list.

Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

Ignore Razjah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellisir View Post
    I've got to say, the idea that someone's family would make fun of them for reading, let alone for reading Machiavelli's The Prince, sort of blows my mind. My family would look at the book, think a moment, and then give you a related-reading list.
    The short version is that when I read things like The Prince or The Art of War or the type of books read in literature classes they view it as being arrogant, or being an ass. This has been building up for a couple year and since graduating in May, it has gotten worse.

Defender (Lvl 8)

Blog Entries

Ignore Nellisir
    Started Poul Anderson's The Broken Sword.

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Ignore Stumblewyk
    Almost done with Dies the Fire, and then I'm on to one of a couple of Phillip K. Dick stories that I got on Amazon for my Kindle Fire last week. Amazon was selling a number of PKD's books at $1.99 a piece, so I snagged up The Simulacra, The Man in the High Castle, and The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch. Not sure which I'll dive into first.
    Currently GM'ing: Nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by Razjah View Post
    The short version is that when I read things like The Prince or The Art of War or the type of books read in literature classes they view it as being arrogant, or being an ass. This has been building up for a couple year and since graduating in May, it has gotten worse.
    Oh, dear

Why is it that these days for the general populace every sign of intelligence, education, or even just inventiveness or interest in anything beyond food, sports & sex is regarded as nothing but arrogance and elitism? This is a worrisome trend. Although sometimes I think it's starting to get better because 'geekness' is on its way to be considered cool by some.

Anyway, having read both books you mention, I can definitely warmly recommend 'The Prince'. It is very readable and modern in both language and content. It even got me interested in reading more from Machiavelli.

'The Art of War', however, didn't really do much for me. Maybe I wasn't in the right state of mind to grasp the greatness of it, but most of it didn't strike me as overly profound. At least it didn't take much time to read ^^.
    In a sense, the D&D game has no rules, only rule suggestions. - Tom Moldvay

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast