Chicago Gameday 33 is Nov 10th: PLANNING THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzz

Adventurer
[h1]Gameday 33 Planning Thread[/h1]

This is the planning thread for Chicago Gameday 33.
Gameday 33 is being held on November 10th, 2012, at Games Plus in Mt. Prospect, IL.

What is Chicago Gameday?

[h2]How to Submit an Event[/h2]
If you would like to run an event for Chicago Gameday, please follow these three steps.

[h3]1. Post your event description in this thread[/h3]
Your event description must include the following:
  • [highlight]Time[/highlight]: morning (9:30 a.m.) or afternoon (3:30 p.m.) slot;
  • [highlight]Game system[/highlight]: e.g., "D&D 3.5";
  • [highlight]Event Title[/highlight]: e.g., "The Caves of Chaos";
  • [highlight]Description[/highlight]: ideally, short and to the point; here are some guidelines from designer/editor Ryan Macklin;
  • [highlight]An image[/highlight]: one you wish associated with your event description, or else state that you are happy to leave that up to me;
  • [highlight]Content Rating[/highlight]: choose either "Kid-Friendly" or "Adults Only";
  • [highlight]Number of Players[/highlight]: total your event can accomodate, not including yourself;
  • [highlight]Table Preference[/highlight]: Whether you want to reserve the private room or need a specific table; I will assign you a table based on your event's size otherwise.

[h3]2. Make sure I have a way of contacting you[/h3]
Either like us on Facebook or provide me with your email address so I can add you to our mailing list. You can email me at buzz (at) buzzmo (dot) com. If you have Private Messaging enabled here at ENWorld, that works, too.

[h3]3. Subscribe to this thread on ENWorld or else make sure to check it regularly.[/h3]

[h2]How to Be a Great Gameday GM[/h2]
[highlight]You should create a safe, friendly space for your event.[/highlight]
Introduce yourself and help introduce the players to each other. Be accommodating to people with special needs, e.g., someone who needs to sit closer to you in order to hear better. Be sensitive to players who let you know they are uncomfortable with certain topics your game may address; do what you can to make them comfortable. In short, treat your players as you would guests in your home.

[highlight]You should be aware of how long your event lasts.[/highlight]
Four hours is the ideal minimum. Morning events should end with enough time left to allow you and your players to get lunch and spend at least some time shopping before the afternoon events begin. Afternoon events should keep both the Metra schedules and the store's hours in mind.

[highlight]You should come to Gameday prepared to run your event[/highlight]
...no matter how many people have signed up for it. If you don't want to run your event, let me know as soon as possible and I will remove it from the schedule.

[h2]Gameday 33 Proposed Event Lineup[/h2]

Morning: 9:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
  1. Monster of the Week, Reidzilla (table G)
  2. Trollbabe, Tim C Koppang
  3. Reign, ekb
  4. Unnamed minis event, Mark CMG
  5. Feng Shui, Trevalon Moonleirion
  6. Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, Vyvyan Basterd
  7. Mouse Guard, buzz
  8. ...

Afternoon: 3:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
  1. Fiasco, Ninjacat (Table E and/or F)
  2. Freemarket, CoreyHaim8myDog (private room)
  3. Savage Worlds, willowx
  4. The Quiet Year, Nev the Deranged
  5. Heroes Fall, PhilK
  6. Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, buzz
  7. ...

[highlight]This thread is for planning purposes only. A separate thread will be created for player sign-up closer to Gameday. A link to that thread will be posted here at that time.[/highlight]

Last edited:

Ninjacat

First Post
Is this the part where I shout "FIRST"?

Heeeee, Buzz made a Kansas joke on the notification email. This amuses my Supernatural-loving heart. *g*

Slot: PM
System: Fiasco
Title: [size=+1]WHEN A HUNT GOES BAD: A Supernatural Fiasco[/size]
Players: 4
Content Rating: Adults Only
GM: Ninjacat
Table Preference: Any

Hunting is dangerous.

Every Hunter knows this, knows that going up against ghosts, demons, ghouls, and every other evil monster out there is a good way to get killed. Somebody has to do it though, or the monsters win, more innocent people die, and more lives are ruined. But when you're fighting the forces of Hell, or witchcraft practitioners with centuries of experience, or creatures so ancient and powerful the only lore about them is nothing more than rumors of a myth, the Hunt can go bad. In fact, Hunts often go bad, Hunters have a short life expectency, not to mention nobody pays them for the work they do, the risks they take. Sometimes Hunts go bad, and sometimes...

..Sometimes, they're a complete Fiasco.

In this game, you'll be playing a Hunter in the setting of the CW's Supernatural television show, or someone caught up in the current Hunt (maybe even the monster!) Somewhere in America, some kind of evil is harming innocent people. A group of Hunters is going to try to stop it...and the Hunt is going to go horribly, horribly wrong.​

FIASCO is a narrative RPG based on movies like Fargo, A Simple Plan, LA Confidential, and others where a seemingly simple goal spirals into a gigantic fustercluck of epic proportions. The narrative is built around the Relationships between the Player Characters and the Details connected to them...the kinds of things that make the players pump a fist and declare: "YES! That's HORRIBLE; I Love It!" (It's a game for awful people, or people willing to be awful vicariously, heh-heh.) All materials provided, just bring your improv story-telling skills.

A Replay example of a Fiasco game is on my site here, edited to include the Supernatural Playset Twist selection process. A PDF version of the example is downloadable here.

SPECIAL NOTE: KNOWLEDGE OF THE SUPERNATURAL TELEVISION SHOW IS REQUIRED TO UNDERSTAND THE DETAILS OF THIS GAME. If you're willing to attempt faking it or have only seen a few episodes of the show, feel free to sign up, but be aware that much of both the game's set-up and the in-character narratives may go flying right over your head (and contain spoilers.) On the other hand, if you're an improvisational maestro when it comes to free-form narrative, you could have a total blast even without knowing what's going on.

Buzz, just for the sake of utter insanity, I'm half-considering allowing seven Players at my table and splitting it into 2 four-Player games, but I'd need someone who felt confident facilitating Fiasco in the second group. If anybody wants to speak up here and say they'd like to do that, I'd be more than happy to bring enough Playset sheets for eight people!

Last edited:

Freemarket

Afternoon. Freemarket tentatively. If I am shot on prep time it'll be Over the Edge.

If the RPG room is available I would like to run it there.

buzz

Adventurer
I suppose I'll tentatively pin down a morning slot. No idea what I might run though.

Heeeee, Buzz made a Kansas joke on the notification email. This amuses my Supernatural-loving heart. *g*

Slot: TBD (leaning towards PM)

Added to the PM slot for now.

I'm not sure what brought about the Kansas, but I'm glad it worked out for you!

The only thing to keep in mind w/r/t the dueling Fiascos is that we'd need two tables. Right? We may have to see how the afternoon pans out.

But, phenomenal idea, dude.

Afternoon. Freemarket tentatively. If I am shot on prep time it'll be Over the Edge.

If the RPG room is available I would like to run it there.
Added and room reservation taken.

Ninjacat

First Post
Added to the PM slot for now.

I'm not sure what brought about the Kansas, but I'm glad it worked out for you!

The only thing to keep in mind w/r/t the dueling Fiascos is that we'd need two tables. Right? We may have to see how the afternoon pans out.

But, phenomenal idea, dude.

Ummmm, it would be easier with two tables (maybe A & B if no other small event is proposed?) but I think it could work at one of the large free-standing tables; each group could play at one end. I'd feel better being at hand to clarify any questions for the second group, but like I said, I'll need a volunteer to "lead" the second group regardless. If it only ends up as a five-total-Players at a small table game instead, that's fine too.

Reidzilla

First Post
I'll take Monster of The Week at Table G in the morning for $1000, Buzz.

Detailed description to follow.

bigznak

First Post
Here is my offering. Yes for the first time, I intend on Running. I am not just playing this time.

Time: morning (9:30 a.m.)

Game system: Pathfinder

Event Title: The Ship of Fools

Details:Welcome to the weather-beaten deck of the Green Lady, a galleon adrift on the blue-green waves… but where is her crew? Where is her legendary captain, the self-exiled wizard, Vossian the Green? Set Sail ‘lubbers and find out in this adventure starring your characters as the daring scallywags destined to solve the mystery of the ship of fools.

Characters will be updated at a later time. Mostly after I think them up.

Grave-Undertakings-Ship-of-Fools.jpeg

Content Rating: "Adults Only"

Number of Players: 5 ship mates

Table Preference: I would prefer to not have one of the high top tables, but I will take whatever I can get as long as long as I can put a map down and have space for 5 players.

Bug42

First Post

Slot: TBD

Hunting is dangerous.

Every Hunter knows this, knows that going up against ghosts, demons, ghouls, and every other evil monster out there is a good way to get killed. Somebody has to do it though, or the monsters win, more innocent people die, and more lives are ruined. But when you're fighting the forces of Hell, or witchcraft practitioners with centuries of experience, or creatures so ancient and powerful the only lore about them is nothing more than rumors of a myth, the Hunt can go bad. In fact, Hunts often go bad, Hunters have a short life expectency, not to mention nobody pays them for the work they do, the risks they take. Sometimes Hunts go bad, and sometimes...

..Sometimes, they're a complete Fiasco.

In this game, you'll be playing a Hunter in the setting of the CW's Supernatural television show, or someone caught up in the current Hunt (maybe even the monster!) Somewhere in America, some kind of evil is harming innocent people. A group of Hunters is going to try to stop it...and the Hunt is going to go horribly, horribly wrong.​

FIASCO is a narrative RPG based on movies like Fargo, A Simple Plan, LA Confidential, and others where a seemingly simple goal spirals into a gigantic fustercluck of epic proportions. The narrative is built around the Relationships between the Player Characters and the Details connected to them...the kinds of things that make the players pump a fist and declare: "YES! That's HORRIBLE; I Love It!" (It's a game for awful people, or people willing to be awful vicariously, heh-heh.) All materials provided, just bring your improv story-telling skills.

A Replay example of a Fiasco game is on my site here, edited to include the Supernatural Playset Twist selection process. A PDF version of the example is downloadable here.

SPECIAL NOTE: KNOWLEDGE OF THE SUPERNATURAL TELEVISION SHOW IS REQUIRED TO UNDERSTAND THE DETAILS OF THIS GAME. If you're willing to attempt faking it or have only seen a few episodes of the show, feel free to sign up, but be aware that much of both the game's set-up and the in-character narratives may go flying right over your head (and contain spoilers.) On the other hand, if you're an improvisational maestro when it comes to free-form narrative, you could have a total blast even without knowing what's going on.

Buzz, just for the sake of utter insanity, I'm half-considering allowing seven Players at my table and splitting it into 2 four-Player games, but I'd need someone who felt confident facilitating Fiasco in the second group. If anybody wants to speak up here and say they'd like to do that, I'd be more than happy to bring enough Playset sheets for eight people!

This looks pretty awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases