D&D 5E What should Rogues do?

GameDoc

Explorer
So, the combat. Takes perhaps 15-20 minutes, or so people seem to want. Everybody making dice rolls, an accumulation of results that lead to victory or defeat with a chance to turn that around.

Now, the exploration. Takes - how long? Involves - how many people and how many rolls? Opportunities to change the course of the event after the dice are rolled - how many?

If the second situation is resolved in one or two dice rolls, with involvement by only one person, then I think you have a problem.

I think that speaks to the need for the fighter to have some role out of combat. Maybe it's an issue of game design, or maybe it's just incumbent on the DM to put in a good mix of non-combat hazards or barriers that require a tough guy approach - doors to be kicked in, boulders to be pushed, seasoned warrior NPCs that can best be dealt with if you can "talk shop" about arms and tactics to win them over. The duke wants his prized albino crocodile returned to the minegerie unharmed - can anyone say "gator wrestling"?

I think we often ignore the fact that the fighter has some inherent skills the rogue, cleric, and wizard don't. Primarily he knows about weapons and armor and fighting tactics. Likely he has some knowledge of how to exercise and train your body to be stronger, quicker, and more endurant. The game just seems to rarely make these relevant.

Remathilis

Legend
What you are describing here sounds very close to a Swashbuckler with access to scouting/trap skills.

Possibly.

A cleric has a wide selection of spells that can heal, harm, protect, and other magical effects. He doesn't need good combat ability to boot. A cleric could be just fine defending the wizard, healing his buddies, turning undead, and occasionally taking out a weaksauce foe. If he really wants to go badass, either multiclass with fighter or load up on buff spells to close the gap.

A rogue doesn't have those buffing magical talents. He can't magically raise his AC, attacks, or heal his wounds. Further, he's frequently asked to scout ahead in dangerous territory alone. He should be self sufficient. He should be able to survive a failed trap that goes off in his face or a blown stealth role that alerts a guard to take a shot at him. Further, he should be able to handle a common foe by himself; he can take an orc guard one on one but 4-5 orcs should overwhelm him. Ergo, I don't see a problem with giving a rogue decent hp and decent combat ability, but not matching a fighter.

In terms of combat ranking:
1.) Fighter (paladin/ranger/barbarian) - Best Hp, attack %, AC
2.) Rogue (assassin/monk/warlord) - Not as good, but can hold his own one on one.
3.) Cleric (druid/bard/warlock) - Average combat, but makes up for it in magic or special powers. Can fight in a pinch.
4.) Wizard (sorcerer) - Stay far away from melee combat, use magic to be awesome.

Bluenose

Adventurer
I think that speaks to the need for the fighter to have some role out of combat. Maybe it's an issue of game design, or maybe it's just incumbent on the DM to put in a good mix of non-combat hazards or barriers that require a tough guy approach - doors to be kicked in, boulders to be pushed, seasoned warrior NPCs that can best be dealt with if you can "talk shop" about arms and tactics to win them over. The duke wants his prized albino crocodile returned to the minegerie unharmed - can anyone say "gator wrestling"?

I think we often ignore the fact that the fighter has some inherent skills the rogue, cleric, and wizard don't. Primarily he knows about weapons and armor and fighting tactics. Likely he has some knowledge of how to exercise and train your body to be stronger, quicker, and more endurant. The game just seems to rarely make these relevant.

Well, yes. At the same time, part of my problem is the idea that the combat can't be done with in one or two dice rolls, and the other situations have to be resolved in that same one or two dice rolls. Important moments probably shouldn't be resolved in one action, even when they're out of combat. And trivial combats don't need long complicated resolution.

And I agree with you that Fighters - actually, I'd argue everyone - shouldn't face many situations where there's no reason for the player to consideer involving their character. There may be plenty of situations where a particular character won't have an effective option, but there shouldn't be whole classes where they are so limited.

Greg K

Legend
Slant the Drushian from Archer: Fugitive From the Empire (a.k.a, Archer and the Sorceress) is my idea of a D&D rogue. Below are five clips (the last shows as a text link to the youtube clip)

Part 5 He comes in at 3:57
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFS_dN-Dkjk&feature=relmfu]The Archer and the Sorceress 1981 Part 5 - YouTube[/ame]

Part 6 0:00 1:20 3:15-4:20 8:43-9:16
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdXQTHZDGXw&feature=relmfu]The Archer and the Sorceress 1981 Part 6 - YouTube[/ame]

Part 7 5:00- 5:51 and 6:50-7:22
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcUpP8K-jAg&feature=relmfu]The Archer and the Sorceress 1981 Part 7 - YouTube[/ame]

Part 8 2:55-7:07
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT6ID-nq03Q&feature=relmfu]The Archer and the Sorceress 1981 Part 8 - YouTube[/ame]

Part 9 3:45-5:16 6:15-6:29
The Archer and the Sorceress 1981 Part 9 - YouTube

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Remathilis,

I agree with your ranking, and the idea that scouting characters should feel martialy competent.

In 3e terms, as I say we have one single large concept, with clusters of points on the continuum. The clusters very roughly live on the continuum like this:
* Fighter, Paladin
* Barbarian
* Swashbuckler, Ranger, Scout
* Rogue

The tendency has been to put the outliers into narrow and painful niches. On the Fighter/Paladin end, they are caricatured as "dumb, slow, heavy". On the other end it is "smart, deadly, glass-jaw".

The more mundane classes are always going to have a little trouble keeping up in a magic filled universe. I say we start out of the gate "skillful tank" (Fighter) and "skillful scout" (Scout) as the starting points (and then we decide how to slough off yet classes, e.g. Paladin).

As a trial ballon, would it be terrible to give the 3e Fighter 6 skill points per level, and give the Scout full BAB? The Fighter would be gaining much of these skills as cross class so that gives him a respectable Spot and Move Silently, etc., while not strong enough to threaten the Scout's schtick. The Rogue we know would be a Scout character with breaking & entering and perhaps assassin options.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Roles have been in D&D since the very first edition. They're not about to leave any time soon.

I mean look at the original big 4.
While that's certainly true, they weren't formalized or balanced with eachohter. The magic-user constituted a role, but that role was not so limited as the controller. The Fighter constituted a role, but that role was not so effective at front-lining and protecting the party 'squishies' as the formal defender. The cleric's role was little more than healing, the thief's little more than being killed by fiendish traps. Those informal roles were traditions that grew up around the 4 primary classes, with the class defining the role rather than attempting to fill it. Since the class defined the role, filling a role was not a useful gauge of class effectiveness.

GreyICE

Banned
Banned
While that's certainly true, they weren't formalized or balanced with eachohter. The magic-user constituted a role, but that role was not so limited as the controller. The Fighter constituted a role, but that role was not so effective at front-lining and protecting the party 'squishies' as the formal defender. The cleric's role was little more than healing, the thief's little more than being killed by fiendish traps. Those informal roles were traditions that grew up around the 4 primary classes, with the class defining the role rather than attempting to fill it. Since the class defined the role, filling a role was not a useful gauge of class effectiveness.

So basically, the Wizard could do everything he could in 4E and more. The Cleric was barely competent at his job, the Fighter was pretty good but with some weaknesses, and the Rogue tried not to die pretty much constantly.

Okay.

So what you're saying is that we've learned a little since the days of having "the cleric bullet."

Tony Vargas

Legend
So basically, the Wizard could do everything he could in 4E and more. The Cleric was barely competent at his job, the Fighter was pretty good but with some weaknesses, and the Rogue tried not to die pretty much constantly.
The Cleric was a perfectly competent band-aid applicator, and the fighter wasn't much more than the magic items he was carrying at higher levels, but, yeah.
So what you're saying is that we've learned a little since the days of having "the cleric bullet."
I guess I'm saying that the traditional implied 'roles' were not useful yardsticks of class effectiveness to the party, and that using formal roles made it more practical to design classes that all contributed meaningfully, and much easier to spot those classes that failed to do so.

And 5e is going back to traditional informal roles.

The Cleric was a perfectly competent band-aid applicator, and the fighter wasn't much more than the magic items he was carrying at higher levels, but, yeah.
I guess I'm saying that the traditional implied 'roles' were not useful yardsticks of class effectiveness to the party, and that using formal roles made it more practical to design classes that all contributed meaningfully, and much easier to spot those classes that failed to do so.

And 5e is going back to traditional informal roles.

Can't xp but these two posts are absolutely spot-on. This maps to my own experience and my (what I find inevitable) opinions arising from those experiences precisely.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
So, the combat. Takes perhaps 15-20 minutes, or so people seem to want. Everybody making dice rolls, an accumulation of results that lead to victory or defeat with a chance to turn that around.

Now, the exploration. Takes - how long? Involves - how many people and how many rolls? Opportunities to change the course of the event after the dice are rolled - how many?

If the second situation is resolved in one or two dice rolls, with involvement by only one person, then I think you have a problem.

No doubt.

The exploration section of the game, if it is to be an independent pillar, needs to last about as long and be about as complex as the combat section of the game. It should involve the whole party (in different ways) and several rolls and unique powers to affect it.

When I think of the things that go into exploration, if I were to codify it's context for game mechanics, I'd say...

1. First, the players need to be able to make progress toward the endpoint. This includes finding the endpoint in the first place, and making swift progress towards it. Rogues are the best at both of these (divination and teleportation might work in a pinch, but magic's messy and expensive). They open doors, climb walls, disarm traps, scout ahead, and relay information back to the party. Rogues are the shining light, but other classes (such as Rangers, Wizards, Fighters, etc.) also contribute, much like how the rogue still contributes in combat. And there are circumstances the rogue can't handle as well -- if some heavy stone statue needs to be moved, your rogue is probably better off getting the fighter than trying to move it themselves.
  2. Second, the players need to be able to survive getting from here to there. They need supplies, they need survival resources, they need to endure weather, they need to find food and water, and they need to be able to keep up the march. The rogue isn't a shining star here, but Fighters, Druids, Clerics, and others might shine pretty bright.

GameDoc said:
I think that speaks to the need for the fighter to have some role out of combat.

I'm not sure this is looking at it quite right.

It should be said that, as a matter of designing to include many different styles, every single character should be able to do something on every pillar. Even a big dumb fighter should be able to do something in exploration and role-playing...and indeed, you'll find that by the fiction, they should still be able to. Big dumb fighters are great for hauling people around on ropes, climbing up walls, keeping watch, going shirtless in the blizzard, and walking face-first into the traps. When talking with others, big dumb fighters are good distractions, good roadblocks, and good obfuscation.

The mechanics don't need to pigeonhole every fighter as "the big dumb guy," but that should also be a valid archetype. So you can see that even big dumb guys can contribute successfully to each of the three classic D&D activities.

But baseline competence doesn't mean mechanical equality. The fighter doesn't need their very own unique noncombat special abilities. The fighter HAS a Strength score. Presumably, if it is high, they can bend those bars, lift that gate, climb that wall in full plate, and leap that pit in heavy armor, all without needing any special mechanics to achieve that.

The rogue, however, should have special exploration abilities all their own. Climbing walls, opening locks, finding and disabling traps, lurking in the darkness...these aren't mere functions of Dexterity or Intelligence, they are abilities that the rogue can use simply to declare something a reality, just like a spell can (and just like a fighter can with Expertise Dice). The rogue should be able to drop a dice on the table and say, "That trap is gone now," or "That door is unlocked now," or "I am invisible in the shadows."

A Fighter can use a Dex check to maybe hide. A Rogue just does it. And if he has to roll, he gets to do it better. Poof. I'm awesome.

In the same way, a Rogue can roll an attack roll and maybe hit. A fighter just does it, or just does it better.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases