Paleo/Primal/Ancestral/Low-Carb Dietary Lifestyles

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I feel amazing on low carb and have always felt fairly poorly on what people call a normal amount of carbs these days. It is just not for me.

Well, part of the issue is that what "people call a normal amount" is not necessarily correct. "People" forget that a single 20oz sugared soda is 10% or more* of their caloric needs for the day. This is why so many people can just cut sugared drinks from their diet, and notice beneficial change. Having just one or two of those a can put you way over your needs for the day.

*It is 10% for a big, moderately active man. The smaller you are, or the lighter your activity, the higher the percentage is - if you're a couch potato, that one soda is more like 15% of your daily needs.

Karak

First Post
Well, part of the issue is that what "people call a normal amount" is not necessarily correct. "People" forget that a single 20oz sugared soda is 10% or more* of their caloric needs for the day. This is why so many people can just cut sugared drinks from their diet, and notice beneficial change. Having just one or two of those a can put you way over your needs for the day.

*It is 10% for a big, moderately active man. The smaller you are, or the lighter your activity, the higher the percentage is - if you're a couch potato, that one soda is more like 15% of your daily needs.

Sorry I guess I should have made it clear. I am talking about the normal amount within nutritional guidelines not what other random people would call normal. In fact even around 3/4th's of that amount makes be feel off most of the time.

Janx

Hero
In physics, we have a useful notion: "to first approximation".

For example, Newton's Laws are correct, to first approximation. Einstein gives us corrections, but, for most folks, in most normal situations, Newton is good enough.

That's a useful term to know. There are many things that people try to make complicated and model, when in reality, the "first approximation" is good enough understanding upon which to make a decision.

In general barring wierd disease, fat people eat more than skinny people. When most fat people eat less, they become skinny.

I've left room for exceptions in my statement. The exceptions of people who gain weight despite reduced calorie intake requires further medical study. But the first approximation concept says "calories in, calories out" works for most fat people. Put them in a secure weight loss camp, and they'll lose weight and be cured of some diseases. Funny how that works.

I heard part of a Freakonomics Radio cast, where a skeptic argues that there's not conclusive science that being fat causes diseases like diabetes. Sure, it's POSSIBLE that it's not the fat that causes it, but the extra substance that fat people eat that skinny people don't that's causing it.

But the simplistic observation that people who become fat then tend to get diabetes and it goes when they diet and become skinny leads us to the simple conclusion that being fat causes the disease.

That may not be absolutely technically correct as the true cause of the disease, but it's close enough for government work, and is functionally effective as a treatment for most patients.

Janx

Hero
Sorry I guess I should have made it clear. I am talking about the normal amount within nutritional guidelines not what other random people would call normal. In fact even around 3/4th's of that amount makes be feel off most of the time.

There's no doubt that Americans have a misunderstanding of portion size and calorie intake.

A single serving of meat is supposed to be about the size of a deck of playing cards. That's 1/2 of a butterfly cut pork chop basically.

My friend, who's gotten heavier over the years topped 300 and started having diabetes and blood pressure problems. he's on meds, and starting to diet. He told me he's getting used to smaller portions. he only eats HALF of the package of butterfly cut porkchops now. That means he was eating 4 servings in one sitting and thinking that was "normal". That's not counting the big helping of rice on the side.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I challenge those who are claiming that calories are "bad science" to a practical experiment:

1) Eat 5000 calories per day for two months and show that you have not put on weight.

2) Eat 1000 calories per day for two months and show that you have not lost weight.

I'll accept that additional measures can adjust the results slightly; and that there is small minority of people will illnesses which change the game; I reject the premise that calorie-based intake and expenditure is in any way "bad science" and suggest that anyone claiming such is trying to sell you something.

Karak

First Post
There's no doubt that Americans have a misunderstanding of portion size and calorie intake.

A single serving of meat is supposed to be about the size of a deck of playing cards. That's 1/2 of a butterfly cut pork chop basically.

My friend, who's gotten heavier over the years topped 300 and started having diabetes and blood pressure problems. he's on meds, and starting to diet. He told me he's getting used to smaller portions. he only eats HALF of the package of butterfly cut porkchops now. That means he was eating 4 servings in one sitting and thinking that was "normal". That's not counting the big helping of rice on the side.

Ya since 1994 I haven't gone on any kind of physical serving size. I go for intake of particular types of calories regardless of size to meet a number that works for me. I do see big portions everywhere and not just America(though leading the charge). Many nations have that issue. Some don't. People can lie to themselves about portion size in any language:)

I guess I am pretty removed from food now that I think about it. Aside from a craving every couple months for some random thing I eat to live and move on. I can't remember the time I really cared what I ate aside from getting energy from it. I don't connect food with anything other than sort of giving me the THRUST to run out and do the stuff I like to do:)

I know that drives family crazy when they get excited for something and I would be more than happy eating a pill that gave me all the calories I needed for the day! Man the time that would save would be insane.

I just realized I have never had a porkchop...ever.

Weregrognard

First Post
I challenge those who are claiming that calories are "bad science" to a practical experiment:

1) Eat 5000 calories per day for two months and show that you have not put on weight.

2) Eat 1000 calories per day for two months and show that you have not lost weight.

I'll accept that additional measures can adjust the results slightly; and that there is small minority of people will illnesses which change the game; I reject the premise that calorie-based intake and expenditure is in any way "bad science" and suggest that anyone claiming such is trying to sell you something.

Calories aren't bad science, just an inaccurate data model to determine nutritional consumption for the purposes of losing excess fat (weight) in a healthy manner.

I have a more realistic (less dangerous) counter-challenge for you. Try the guidelines above for a month, and see how you feel. Post your experiences here :)

Weregrognard

First Post
Anyone inflicting this stuff on their RPG groups? I cooked a sumptuous beef roast for my group, so we wouldn't have to order out. I got no complaints :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I have a more realistic (less dangerous) counter-challenge for you. Try the guidelines above for a month, and see how you feel. Post your experiences here :)

What guidelines? The "buy this new book" guidelines?

I eat healthy portion sizes and get a reasonable amount of exercise. Consequently, I am a healthy weight. Why on earth would I change that?

Last edited:

Weregrognard

First Post
What guidelines? The "buy this new book" guidelines?

I don't think I like what you're getting at here. I don't work for these guys, nor am I a shill for their works any more than someone who's read a good book or seen a good movie and recommends it to his friends is. If I came off as one, I apologize. I do feel strongly about the subject, though, and it's become a little more personal since my father's illness.

In any case, the info is out there for free. Check it out, or not. It makes no difference to me.

I eat healthy portion sizes and get a reasonable amount of exercise. Consequently, I am a healthy weight. Why on earth would I change that?

You've pretty much answered your own question. If what you're doing works for you, and you're healthy, that's wonderful. I thought from your initial response that you were curious and/or interested in knowing more; my mistake.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases