Which PHB race doesn't fit into YOUR fantasy campaign?

Which PHB race doesn't fit into YOUR fantasy campaign?

• Human

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Dwarf

Votes: 25 9.7%
  • Elf

Votes: 38 14.7%
  • Gnome

Votes: 104 40.3%
  • Half-elf

Votes: 49 19.0%
  • Half-orc

Votes: 71 27.5%
  • Halfling

Votes: 65 25.2%
  • I allow all the PHB races.

Votes: 95 36.8%

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Psion said:

Feh. Gnomes have a niche. It's just intruded upon by halflings. I say boot the halflings; gnomes actually have some distinctiveness that the halflings don't.

But Lidda is soooo hot. :p

Actually, I just reread the description for gnome. Just now. Well, just a few minutes ago. Maybe I'm older and more mature, but I'm beginning to see the possibilities of gnomes. Hrmmm.

I've started writing a new campaign world. My old one has served for well on to 14 years and I'm beginning to get verrrry bored with it. Definitely going to fit gnomes in there. Somehow...

Besides gnomes, the half-races seem to be losing. I could see that for sure. Anyone who voted against them want to give their reasonings?

Last edited:

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
Well, I voted for the half-breeds so...

Like I wrote earlier, the only races in my campaign (so far) are Humans, Gnomes and Orcs.

I don't have any Elves, so Half-elves don't really make much sense and if I have Half-Orcs it opens the question why there aren't any Half-Gnomes as well...

That's all.

Carnifex

First Post
Well, gnomes are extremely rare IMC, but they do exist.

On the other hand, there are no halflings. The closest thing there is are the feral, mongol-style sarsniks, but I don't allow them as a PC race. I don't have much use for the half-pints really.

Ace

Adventurer
Well I technically allow all the PC races except for Half Orcs which I replace with Unseelie Blood (Orcs and Humans can't interbreed in my regular game).

Really the only races that fit well are Humans, Half Elves, and the Unseelie Blood.

I will allow the others but I place a preffered limit of 1 of the other species unless the party is 6+ in which case its 2

Deadguy

First Post
Down with the Demi-Humans

Well, demi-humans as they were once called. When I started running D&D3e I decided a new campaign setting (the Shattered World) would have very few intelligent races: Humans, Orcs (of various sub-breeds), Goblins (and their kin), Cacodaemons and Illithids. To this I have added shapechanger breeds, based on humans or goblins. Not that there never were Elves, Dwarves or Halflings, just that they are now extinct, wiped out in the Cataclysm that created the Shattered World. And it's worked just fine, with everyone so far playing Humans, but meeting other races in a number of guises, e.g. as slaves, as second-class citizens, as 'monsters' and as civilised people in their own right.

Why? Well, I just find the ever increasing number of races too hard to stomach. They just end up as so many ciphers for different cultures and behaviours, when a smarter DM could use humans or goblins to the same effect.

I like the gnome, one of my all time favorite charaters was a sligtly befuddled gnome illusionist/thief. Unfortianatly my DM's campaign focuses so much on humans and elves the other races get shoved aside and ignored. Especially halflings and gnomes.

Psion said:
Feh. Gnomes have a niche. It's just intruded upon by halflings. I say boot the halflings; gnomes actually have some distinctiveness that the halflings don't.
Exactly! It is one or the other, and even though the gnomes have thus far lost out in my campaigns, perhaps it is time the halfling gets the boot.

KnowTheToe

First Post
HALFLINGS & GNOMES SUCK THE BIG ONE. The gnome has never done anything for me, but the halfling got my vote because it is so hokey. A small human that had special rules so you could create uber theives and monks. They have no culture, aw who cares they just suck. I don't let them in my campaigns, they were all eaten by giants and dwarves.

Eosin the Red

First Post
Biggus said:
* half-elves: not really a true race but rather an option for indecisive players

I have always wanted to play a Tolkien Half-Elf (IMO the basis for this "race"). 3E, 2E, & most other rpgs in general haven't represented this well.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases