Which PHB race doesn't fit into YOUR fantasy campaign?

Which PHB race doesn't fit into YOUR fantasy campaign?

• Human

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • Dwarf

Votes: 25 9.7%
  • Elf

Votes: 38 14.7%
  • Gnome

Votes: 104 40.3%
  • Half-elf

Votes: 49 19.0%
  • Half-orc

Votes: 71 27.5%
  • Halfling

Votes: 65 25.2%
  • I allow all the PHB races.

Votes: 95 36.8%

Orius

Legend
Looks like we got a bunch of dwarf fans on the board, they're the second most popular race, behind humans. But maybe that's because dwarves are cool.

Now in my current campaign, I left gnomes, halflings and half-orcs out. That's because the campaign is a set in an exotic Bronze Age cutlure, and those races didn't fit the concept. Gnome inventions just don't work right in the setting. Didn't really know how to shoehorn in the halflings. And orcs aren't a bag guy race, so naturally, there's no half-orcs. I added spirit folk from OA cause that works with my concept.

However, my main campaign does use all the PHB races.

Blackwind

Explorer
In my homebrew, elves and dwarves are the only playable demihuman races. But I've modified them to make them more rare, mysterious, and powerful. They have ECLs. Half-elves exist, in some places, but they're extremely rare. The ruling dynasty of the West Kingdom does have elvish blood, and I've introduced an Elvish Blood feat that is available to PCs. There's a similar Fey Blood feat.

There are gnomes, too, but they're only one foot tall and have no interest in technology. More like David the Gnome.

There are no orcs IMC and thus no halfbreeds, either. Halflings have also been eliminated.

On the other hand, I have five distinct ethnic groups of humans (divided into many more nations, kingdoms, and tribes) to keep things interesting.

frankthedm

First Post
I have skaven [warhammer's small rat men] filling the nitch of short thief. Gnomes don't really have a nitch for my game. Elves can no longer breed with humans [or other races] Added a ecl 0 half satyr, and will allow players to have the innsmouth look if they want it.

Blackwind said:
There are gnomes, too, but they're only one foot tall and have no interest in technology. More like David the Gnome.
In every wish and dream and happy home,
you will find the kingdom of the gnome!

Last edited:

Corinth

First Post
Half-Elves, Half-Orcs and Gnomes get the boot. Gnomes get tossed because they haven't a niche. Half-elves & half-orcs get replaced with other mechanics, which are dependant on the setting. Hell, whenever I can I edit out all extraneous non-humans; unless that NPC must be something other than human, it's always a human.

XCorvis

First Post
I can't stand gnomes. Dragonlance tinker gnomes really soured me on them. And then there are the scary people who are a little too into gnomes... ;)

MarauderX

Explorer
I have booted the gnomes. gno way they are mucking up things with hooky antics and bumbling bafoonery. I'll save them for another world where they are misbegotten half breeds of orcs and halflings.

Ackem

First Post
No shorties but Dwarves, no Half-Breeds at all.

Half-Breeds because D&D went nuts with the concept and I think they should be freak occurences and not a "race". It also hurts my sense of biology with the capabilty existing, especially given how arbitrary it is (Half-Orcs, Half-Elves, but no Orc/Elf combos?).

Shorties because they're dumb and goofy and if I can't imagine a race smeared with dirt, armored and armed, standing shoulder to shoulder against impossible odds, then I write them off as having been eaten by Dragons/Orcs/Grues somewhere in the prehistory of the world.

Michael Morris

First Post
Gez said:
Much cool stuff

That is cool Gez.

In my campaign the Tolkienesque halflings get the boot in favor of Gelflings. While the males remain identical to the info in the PHB the females are altered (watch The Dark Crystal to understand why)

Nellisir

Hero
No halflings. I don't really have anything against halflings; I just wanted to leave something out and they were the least interesting race. Tolkein-style halflings shouldn't really be adventuring...and with my campaigns set in a European-ish land of endless forests, a race of wandering little plains nomads just didn't work.

Halfling gypsies was just too silly an idea to work.

Anyways, once the halflings wandered into the forests, the gnomes trapped them, trussed them, and used them as dragonbait. The Common word for halflings translates to "popcorn for dragons".

Seriously, my gnomes are secret-keepers. Most are good-natured and cheerful, but that beaming demeanor hides a furious craving for secrets and hidden knowledge...a hunger that has betrayed and corrupted far too many gnomish clans over the ages.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases